1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Review of O. C. Duff's Buckaroo Pickup Set

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jw_hall, Mar 4, 2021.

1. jw_hall

jw_hall TDPRI Member

I recently installed the Buckaroo pickup set in a partscaster with a maple body, maple neck, brass compensated saddles, vintage bridge, Emerson three-way telecaster circuit–and the sound that comes of out of the guitar is the most exquisite telecatser sound you could ever want.

These pickups have layers of character. Around the 12th fret on the E and A stings these pickups sound like a contralto who makes you ask “how is she getting that timbre–” mellow and sultry and refined with just an edge of mystery. And I, as a bass player, really love the little bit of growl you can coax out of the low notes. Add this to the punchy, vibrant twang in the higher ranges that just soar out and up–not harsh, but clear and strong–and you have a tonal pallet that just makes you want to keep playing everywhere on the fingerboard to explore all the depth of character of these pickups. And the beautiful contrast between the neck and bridge pickups is really engaging. Switching between pickups has never been more fun. So, so good. They make for a guitar that I don’t want to put down. Such an iconic tele sound from those pickups. I couldn’t be happier.

To top it off, Owen, the maker of the pickup and conjurer of the magic therein, is helpful and friendly and quick to respond, and it’s clear he loves his work because it shows in the final product.

Here’s the bottom line–if you love that telecaster sound, stop what you’re doing, order a set, install them in your tele and then play for hours and revel in how good they sound.

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I have been G.A.S.ing for a set of these for a long time...

jw_hall likes this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

Great review btw...

jw_hall likes this.
  4. Nelg

Nelg Tele-Meister

I have a Plankster, big boy set that I really enjoy, so I have no doubt these are great as well.

jw_hall likes this.
  5. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Owen makes some beautiful sounding pickups. Got a Plankster/Nancy combo and a set of his Slab'sters. Waiting for a
    sale to come along to grab either the Whiteguards or Buckaroos.

jw_hall likes this.
  6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Afflicted

Went to look into these. Sound incredible. Bit pricey for me right now though.....

jw_hall likes this.
  7. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

That’s not a review. That’s gushing.
    Sounds like business must be slow, and OC hired a carnival barker to stir it up.

Anyhow, nice to meet you, new guy, and glad ya like them.

I hope you’re right. I have one of Duff’s creations in the parts box waiting for me.

jw_hall likes this.
  8. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

OP has been a member since December and he started a thread early in January asking for advice to choose the pickups for his partscaster:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/pleas...-for-a-new-partscaster.1059047/#post-10491071
    Nothing fishy about it.

jw_hall and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

To the OP: enjoy your pickups!
    I’ve heard great things about OC’s work and hesitated for a while to order a PU from him, but I finally went with another fantastic builder.

jw_hall likes this.
  10. jw_hall

jw_hall TDPRI Member

Haha, "carnival barker." You're actually a lot closer than you know--I'm a lawyer, and a prosecutor, even, and going into court and making noise is my trade. I embrace the characterization and come by it honestly.

And you're right, it is gushing, which is how I feel about these pickups. I'm not paid by Owen, though; the money flow is entirely in the other direction. I just ordered a bridge pickup from him for a esquire partscaster project I'm beginning.

I hope you enjoy your upcoming set. I think odds are good. Cheers.

65 Champ Amp and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

Which one did you order for your Esquire?

12. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for the good humor and friendly reply!
    Sorry I had my cynical pants on. I think they’re too tight.

I have the Plankster. Have not decided on if I want to build an Esquire for it, or pair it up. I am tempted to use an old Japanese Gold Foil I got off ebay with it, maybe even a P90.
    I have a T copy in process for my son, the guitar for the Plankster is on deck.

jw_hall likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.