My review of Cannabis Rex vs. Fat Jimmy C1270 in a DRRI

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by theprofessor, Apr 27, 2017.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I'm glad you thought the comparison was helpful. Eminence makes great speakers, and as a user/consumer, there's no obligation to be objective. I'm glad you're enjoying the Patriots!

2. theprofessor

Alright, last one. Just to mix it up. A clip of me goofing around in A again, this time with my Epiphone Dot with P-90-type pickups (Tonerider Rebel 90's). Volume on both pickups is rolled of a tiny bit (probably about 9.5). Neck tone at 7.5. Bridge tone at 6.5. Straight into the DRRI. Volume at 3.8. Treble at 4.5. Bass at 4.1. Reverb at 3.5. Into the little condenser mics in a Zoom H5.

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Eminence is my favourite speaker company.

Oh - & by the way - for this "musical" high end in a bf circuit, the Emi RWB is fantastic - with a bass response tighter & rounder than the CR

It might be just a tad dull at bedroom volumes (it's a 120 watts speaker after all), but right after that it's glorious - a bit like the Fat Jimmy.

4. theprofessor

Cool, homesick345. Thanks for pointing to the Red White and Blues. I think it's the same as the "Patriot" that Clive Hugh mentioned above. Eminence does make great speakers. I keep looking for a way to get one of their 1028K alnicos into something, but I don't have a 10-inch amp. One day...

homesick345 likes this.
  5. homesick345

For me 10" alnico speaker is the ultimate classic Fender tone. A 210 (or 310) s a thing of beauty...

Cabinets are not gonna build themselves - great artisans are making cabinets to die for, at cheap prices. (Jdesign cabs, etc..)

it's the next best thing to buying a new amp

I prefer 10 speaker generally.

6. homesick345

Callaway once said he builds his cars around a tire

A smart way is to build your entire rig around a speaker

7. theprofessor

Interesting! I like that. It certainly seems to me that no single element of or "modification" to an amp has more of an effect on the sound (proportionally) than the speaker. The problem is, there are so many good ones!

8. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I've definitely found that a speaker change is the biggest single
    change that can be made to an amp.
    Also it's pretty easy to do~finding the right one is the tricky part!

9. theprofessor

Final thoughts on the FJCV1270:

It's not fully broken in, but...

I think it's the bottom end of the FJ that's the most unorthodox quality about it. It's not boomy, not big, not overwhelming. It's tight and -- wait for it -- "woody." I actually don't know what that term means for most people, but for me it evokes a sound like a wood instrument produces. Like some acoustic guitars or maybe even like an oboe. Imagine a nice acoustic guitar that's plugged in, but without the metallic, tinny quality. As @homesick345 said in post #5 above, "There's this 'acoustic' quality of the electric guitar that is perfectly rendered." With its sonics and touch-responsiveness, I find myself reacting to the guitar/amp now much more like I react to my acoustic guitar. The tight bass offers sonics closer to a typical 10-inch speaker in a 12-inch speaker, but it feels like (and moves the air of) a 70-watt 12-inch speaker. The FJ has really nice mids, if you're looking to "add back in" a quality that is often missing in a BF or SF circuit. Maybe that pushes back toward the tonality of the brown Fenders a bit. The speaker certainly has lovely harmonics--so much so that I didn't even notice that my reverb was off after installing the speaker and playing for a while. And I always notice. The harmonics sound a bit like those I've heard in a single-ended 6V6 amp, like my SF Champ. The top end is sweet and gives a very nice chime that isn't harsh. Almost like it's being compressed just a hair. So maybe one can speak of "acoustic sweetness" with this speaker. All that said, to my ears, it still manages to sound like a Fender. I wouldn't say the "classic" Fender sound, but a Fender that's been colored a bit with a golden hue, maybe golden-brown. The tone makes me think of honey and mahogany. It strikes me as a very nice combination of classic American with a hint of British in the mids. And the overdrive is rock n' roll, for sure. It reminds me a bit of a Celestion in that department, though it's not spiky. It kind of sounds like Mike put one of the American Vintage line and one of the British Invasion line of WGS speakers together, though that statement is based on nothing more than my own ears. In my DRRI, at least, I could explore lots of places on the tone dials (both treble and bass) without fearing for my life. With the C12K that comes stock with DRRI's, for example, you have to manage the highs very carefully. With the Cannabis Rex (which, if metaphorized as a color would be dark blue), to use another example, you have to watch the bass and the volume carefully. I think the FJ would cut through a mix really well, and it will take a wide range of pickup configurations and still retain its clarity. I wish I had a humbucker-equipped guitar to play through it, but I don't. It sounded great to me, though, both with my traditional single coil tele and with a P-90 equipped 335-style guitar. It handled both magnificently. I found that the Cannabis Rex sounded wonderful with my tele, but that I often wavered between the low and high inputs with the Dot. The Dot could get too boomy really fast. I don't think I'd ever use a humbucker-equipped guitar through a Cannabis Rex if I were hoping for any clarity. But I think the FJ could handle it nicely.

That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    homesick345 likes this.
  10. theprofessor

Fat_Jimmy_C1270_DRRI.jpg

11. homesick345

Nice.

And to think the speaker will mellow further - after some hours of loud playing , is fantastic

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I first began dealing with Mike P., I had just acquired a SFDR, with a Celestion V30. Now, the speaker is interesting, but certainly not the classic DR sound that I like. Mike commented that the speaker was a real plus in that amp, which struck me as odd, but I let it go.

Now I see why he said that. It's not the same as the FJ, but both are 'warm and smooth'. We seem to have quite different target sounds for these amps. I need to remember that going forward.

13. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Anyone, paired up the CRex and Fat Jimmy, in a 2x12 ot 4x12?

It might make a nice combination.

14. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Tele-Meister

Bump. Curious about how the Fat Jimmy compares to the Eminence GA-sc64 12" speaker.

brbadg likes this.
  15. theprofessor

I've had both in Deluxe Reverbs. I had the Fat Jimmy in a DRRI and the GA-SC64 in a '76 DR. From my recollection, I'd say the Fat Jimmy had a more midrange focus. It was exceedingly articulate but could also be "honky" in the mids (you should be able to hear what I mean in the sound clips). The low end was not big and was quite focused. The high end was articulate but not harsh. The GA-SC64 was bigger and fuller sounding, with a more muted top-end (felt dust cap) and a bigger low-end. That's all from memory.

I never got to hear the Fat Jimmy fully broken in, though.

16. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

They
    They have a lower wattage version of the Fat Jimmy.

17. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I just realized this thread is close to 2 years old!
    Anyway,thanks for the effort.I have a use for the CRex,but the
    FJ is going to be my next speaker purchase.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.