My problem with YouTube

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jondanger, Jul 31, 2020 at 8:39 PM.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This might actually be a problem with children. Or maybe my children. Or with me. But here it is.

My children (10 and 8) like to watch videos on YouTube about MineCraft, The Sims, and then also videos about what they call "film theories." These are basically nitpicky videos where someone talks about the inconsistencies in movies, and makes up ways that movies might be connected to each other, etc.

My experience is that these types of videos where a person talks directly into the camera about the game they are playing or the movie that they are watching - basically "reaction videos" - are very similar in tone. A person talking to everybody/nobody, without input from anything other than the game/movie they are watching, making short snide observations. Here's what they are: they are annoying.

Since March, we have been having a lot of family movie nights. We rotate who gets to choose, and all watch together. My children have adopted the habit of making short snide observations about the movie that we are watching. Sometimes they say "hashtag" out loud first.

I'm a simple and old-fashioned man. I don't use gel in my hair, and I don't say "hashtag" out loud. How am I meant to cope with a world in which a wonderful Miyakazi film can't be enjoyed without a stupid laugh-seeking comment being made every 12-15 seconds?

I could take my children's Chromebooks away from them. But I fear that this mode of speech and watching movies has become entrenched in their minds.

I'll be honest, I'm not seeking advice, but perhaps you'd like to commiserate. Kind of react to my post? You could quote it and then kind of insert your snide comments to each inconsistency as you go. Just an idea.

goonie, Nick Fanis, Buzzgrowl and 4 others like this.
  2. Bjackcity

Bjackcity Tele-Meister

upload_2020-7-31_20-43-13.jpeg
    This is what it’s like when Trying to watch movies with children.

3. jondanger

So I admit, we also subscribed to the Shout Factory channel on Amazon just so that we can watch MST3K. My son LOVES it, and almost always chooses an episode for his movie nights. But this problem pre-dates their exposure to Joel and the Bots.

I was a huge MST3K fan in high school.

cyclopean and Bjackcity like this.
  4. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My kids are grown. I have almost no idea what you’re referring to. For me, YouTube is for music.

Stringbanger, Deathray and jondanger like this.
  5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    -Disclaimer: I do not have children-

But we have lots of friends with kids, and enjoy "baby sitting" here and there, to allow the parents a date nite.

Have you noticed that most television shows aimed at children (cartoon or live action) all make the children in the show look like geniuses and the adults look like incompetent idiots? So many of the plots revolve around the adults messing something up, and the children have to figure out how to fix it.

6. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Pound sign "empty nester"
    Watch what I want, when I want and sleep through most of it..... :cool:

Festofish, MickM, lowatter and 2 others like this.
  7. jondanger

Is this a "hashtag" "sub-tweet"?

Bjackcity and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I really don’t like reaction videos...

9. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't have children either.

I played The Sims for a short time. I love Minecraft. I also love MST3K (as alluded to by Bjackcity).

However, I don't watch videos *about* them. I don't watch reaction videos or any of that crap. Youtube is great, but it also requires a filter like any other medium.

Most of my Youtube mileage comes in the form of international music, Russian dashcam videos and some specific channels like AvE, ThisOldTony, EEVBlog and Garage54

HoodieMcFoodie and jondanger like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have to admit my kid (23) watches these videos some times they are really funny but I never allow it to influence my likes and dislikes of a movie , or video.there is one set called TRUE FACTS ,a small senseless short video about animals that is quite silly and rather amusing

although i imagine that a younger person of 10 and 8 would pick more cynicism than some one a little older

jondanger likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

my take: You are a super smart dude. You are cool about it, but everyone in your fam knows you are smart and know a lot of stuff. A) Your kids are going to be like you. B) They want to show they have 'inside' knowledge too and that snark is also a sign of 'getting it'.

What is kind of cool is that people will do 'homework' and 'research' when they have an incentive (getting to share 'knowledge' in advance)

Where the trick is... is demonstrating the difference between snark and wit, insight and gossip etc...

you are right at the threshold and don't actually have to do anything... and you cannot adopt a teaching tone to show the difference... you will have to figure it out if it is important or not...

but, your kids sound sharp and like they are interested and care... big win for you and your fam.

note: I have 3 kids, was a teacher at one point in my life, and have trained many young people who are very bright.

12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I watch guitar review videos on YouTube.

Not the professionally produced ones. I like the amateur ones.

I don’t give a damn what they think of the guitar, I just like to see how many times they say, “Um...” in one video.

13. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

The one thing that annoys me the most with YT are ‘clips’ that are really a series of photo’s of a band on top of music.

I’m sure you had fun putting the collage together but c’mon, if you only have the audio put it on Soundcloud. Youtube is for film, hence the word Tube.

jondanger likes this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I had MTV. My kids have YouTube. That’s what I keep telling myself.

Because if I have to endure another youtube “influencer” rant video I’m gonna go nucking futz.

OTOH, my kids have found some very unique and cool info on YouTube that I never would have thought to seek. Fortunately, between their parents and good teachers encouraging them to think critically, they are pretty good at being able to call out propaganda or conspiracy crap when they see it.

They’re gonna be alright.

elihu and jondanger like this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I dont know if you are aware but as of last week ( monday the 27th) YT has pushed all YT'rs to put commercials into the vids as an extra revenue source , this sucks huge because i dislike commercials immensly, so any videos over 8 minutes long will automatically be bombarded with commercial breaks at the most inopportune times in the videos and you cannot skip all of them.

Slip Kid likes this.
  16. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As full fledged grownups my wife and I will sometimes make snarky comments during movies (at home... Never at a theater). But some movies need to be respected and not interrupted. I know you said you aren't looking for advice, but I'd suggest that if you know that a movie warrants quiet, set that ground rule at the outset, but if you're watching the Godzilla movie with Son of Godzilla in it, or something similarly hokey, it might be part of the fun to respond to it.

Jlwctn and jondanger like this.
  17. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

zefrank is awesome. FYI

24 track likes this.
  18. jondanger

My friend, you would not BELIEVE how many Godzilla movies we are watching. My son talks about Godzilla ALL THE TIME. He’s on the autism spectrum so he tends to get single-minded. He transitioned from dinosaurs to Godzilla about 3 months ago. He still plays Jurassic World Evolution, which is kind of a Roller Coaster Tycoon type world building game, but it’s basically Jurassic Park. Aside from that though, Godzilla Godzilla Godzilla.

Which is funny, because we used to call my daughter Louise “Lojira” when she would toddle through his Lego towns, destroying everything in her path. Gojira is, of course, the Japanese pronunciation of Godzilla.

geoff_in_nc and Jlwctn like this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

haha dad complains about how his kids are kids and a bunch of other boomers make completely unrelated comments about the youtube :p

yeah snark, irony and sarcasm is the order of the day for kids.
    it's always been that way

kids've got a godzilla-appreciative dad, they're gonna be just fine :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 11:35 PM
  20. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I watch Rick Beato and Vice Grip Garage and assorted music vids...

And vids about how to repair things.

I didn't read the the thread, so this content might not be relevant....

My favorite amp is a 1964 Super Reverb.. ;)

Festofish and TokyoPortrait like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.