My predictions are becoming true.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
I've often said that digital storage and the internet have changed commercial music well beyond just the ability to stream (though I have opinions there, too). One reason for some of the changes is that today's music competes against all other recorded music in a way that wasn't true when I was young.

Then, songs had limited lifetimes. Only on the radio for a while, then gone. LPs went out of print. Out with the old, in with the new. Now nothing is lost.

My current evidence is my daughter playing Earth, Wind And Fire's September on the kazoo this morning. She found it on Youtube. It's nothing I played for her.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I've often said that digital storage and the internet have changed commercial music well beyond just the ability to stream (though I have opinions there, too). One reason for some of the changes is that today's music competes against all other recorded music in a way that wasn't true when I was young.

Then, songs had limited lifetimes. Only on the radio for a while, then gone. LPs went out of print. Out with the old, in with the new. Now nothing is lost.

My current evidence is my daughter playing Earth, Wind And Fire's September on the kazoo this morning. She found it on Youtube. It's nothing I played for her.
i think that's pretty cool

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
A good bit of the music I listen to isn’t played on the radio, at least in the states. Other music is but it’s crowded out by what I don’t want to listen to. I’ve been using YouTube as my primary music source, extracting the soundtracks from the videos, processing them and saving them to a computer. Getting music to listen to has become work but I never have to listen to anything I don’t like.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

Man, that song is pure joy!

Your daughter definitely has a good feel for music and it's discoveries!

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
Yep. We always called them upside down whales. Ugliest car evah! Like a Pinto, Vega/Maverick and an old '72 Impala all meshed together.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That’s pretty good oracle-ing.

When I was in high school I predicted every car design would evolve into the AMC Pacer. Look around. Bubbles with giant windows.
I don’t know what cars you’re looking at—windows have gotten smaller and smaller over the years. I’m all for safety, but I miss the big greenhouses of older cars.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
Man, that song is pure joy!

Your daughter definitely has a good feel for music and it's discoveries!
Over the years, she's liked:
Lemon Tree
Rockit
Willie and the Hand Jive (Sun Ra version)
Rockaway Beach
... and whatever her dance instructors play.

Duck Herder

Tele-Meister

Yes it's nice to be able to get a good dose of Floyd Council, especially after a big dose of Pink Andersen.
Grooving to CCR a lot too.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
A lot of songs are reintroduced to the younger generate from the singing shows on TV.

I asked my 16 year old son of he'd ever heard of Limp Bizkit (he's in the target demo after all if it was still 1999). Nope. Just seemed weird to me.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
My 15-year-old son heard me playing The night they drove old Dixie down on the guitar a while back.

He came to me the other day and asked who did the best version so he could find it on youtube. Ha! But at least he was able to root out the song. And he doesn't care what era it's from.

He has no idea who today's pop stars are, though. He lives in a world of Pixies, Jackson Browne, and Warren Zevon.

'At's ma boy.

telepraise

Tele-Afflicted
My youngest daughter, at 23 is wearing Pink Floyd and Eagles T-shirts. She has bought a turntable and only buys classic 70s rock albums. She's real excited about seeing Van Morrison next month with her best friend and that friend's mother. I was totally caught off guard by her small tattoo saying "Be Here Now" and found she has Ram Dass' book and is reading Alan Watts. It feels strange giving my own daughter advice on the hallmarks of the 60s and 70s.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
My youngest daughter, at 23 is wearing Pink Floyd and Eagles T-shirts. She has bought a turntable and only buys classic 70s rock albums. She's real excited about seeing Van Morrison next month with her best friend and that friend's mother. I was totally caught off guard by her small tattoo saying "Be Here Now" and found she has Ram Dass' book and is reading Alan Watts. It feels strange giving my own daughter advice on the hallmarks of the 60s and 70s.
The kid down the street would show up on front of my place wearing Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd shirts. I'd quiz him to name albums or tracks. He couldn't. It was funny. One time, he came prepared cause he knew the question was coming.