My petty rant of the day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gibson, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

I'm advertising a regular Vox Mini3 amp for sale on a local FB group.

I provided a basic description, three photos, and added a link to a pdf of full specs and user manual in case any gear-heads are watching.

Yet I still receive questions like, and I quote: "Amp only w/o built in speakers???"

(I replied that the amp does indeed come with a built-in speaker, and received a "like" in return.)

I can't imagine what it's like to work retail for any vaguely technical product.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

It makes you wonder who ties their shoe laces 'eh?.. S:rolleyes:

Gibson, DougM, Doctorx33 and 2 others like this.
  3. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

Never mind working in retail for technical products.

I've often considered publishing books of the things I get asked selling vegetables...

When there are some who struggle with the concept of cauliflower and sweet potato sold by weight, it's not fair to expect them to start reading users manuals and spec sheets...

naneek and DougM like this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

You had me at petty rant.

I used to work in a bookshop. A typical day included:

"I'm looking for a book. I'm not sure who it's by or what it's called but it's about this big and it's red."

And . . .

"Do you sell those books that are quite fat and you read them on the beach on holiday and they last you all week?"

And . . .

"I'm looking for a book. I think it's called 'The Lord and his Rings' by R.J Tookin."

"Yes, we have that. It's 'The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien."

"No, that's not it at all." [exits w/o book]

And my favourite ever - which was actually quite sweet:

Very old guy approaches the till with a book. The guy looks like an academic - tweed jacket, the works. Looks very "ivory tower". He looks at the price of the book. It's £7.95. His brain does a quick calc. Eureka!! He says:

"I say, how about if I give you eight pounds and you give me a five-pence piece in return. Then I will have effectively paid you seven pounds and ninety-five pence!"

"That sounds like a capital idea, sir."

He pays. Leaves.

Ten minutes later he walks back into the shop, approaches me, and says:

"I say, you must get through a devil of a lot of five-pence pieces!"

P Thought, Gibson, RoyalBaby and 10 others like this.
  5. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

My wife has sold a few things on "the big auction site" and it is stunning to see some of the asinine questions that she's asked and some of the attempts that prospective purchasers make to try to drive down her already very reasonable prices.

As the OP illustrates, all the information is usually provided and made readily accessible - so asking an unnecessary question is actually slower than taking the time to read the advertisement properly.

Gibson and DougM like this.
  6. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

In response to the last chap, I'd have replied;

"As an estimate, about one per book".

To be honest (not restricted or particularly relevant to books) but one of my pet peeves is prices that are £7.95 or £7.99. I know it's meant to be a psychological way of making the purchaser think they've paid £7 not "nearly £8" - but is anyone really that dense? Would people really not buy the item because it was £0.05 or £0.01 more expensive? I doubt price elasticity is that tight for 99.999% of items at that sort of level.

DougM likes this.
  7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

The .99 or .95 thing actually originated as a way of making sure the cashier opened the till on each transaction. That way the sale was recorded and they couldn't just pocket the cash themselves. Doesn't make much sense in the credit card age, though.

8. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

I run a business selling exclusively loose fruits and vegetables wholesale, that is to say, nothing prepacked or with an ingredients list - just, you know, fruits and vegetables.

I won't self promote on the forum, but the name of the company is "*my full name* Fresh Produce"

Two encounters come to mind

The first, seemed angry before the conversation began...

WHY DON'T YOU SELL ANY VEGAN THINGS, IT'S A HUGE GROWING MARKET WHAT KIND OF PLACE DOESN'T HAVE A VEGAN SECTION?!"

I replied,
    "we sell do a lot of vegan products
    "WELL WHERE ARE THEY ALL?!"
    " we don't have a specific section for them"
    "HOW AM I MEANT TO KNOW WHICH IS VEGAN AND WHICH ISN'T?"

The second was via the social media account, they had asked a question, I had answered it, they evidently didn't like the answer.
    I had signed off all my messages, with my full name and job title "Owner" as well as the company name, which contains my own full name as mentioned.

They then began demanding to see my superior, they would not have it that I had no "manager" and absoutely wanted to speak to somebody in authority.

Gibson, hemingway, ndcaster and 4 others like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Dealing with the general public is shocking to me. When did common sense end?

Paul Jenkin, Wally and Dropoutjohn like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure it ever began....or at least was very "common".

hemingway and Wally like this.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

And you didn't ask them to hold and come back with a "manager" voice?

Gibson, hemingway, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's solid psychology behind it. Even when people are adamant that they aren't fooled by 1.99 prices, they are.

Paul Jenkin and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Even assuming they can read, people don't like to use the ability. I am selling an old van on Craigslist right now. Very prominently in the ad copy is

• Emissions (Tested, passed, and paid for this week!)

So more than one person has asked,will it pass emissions?

Gibson, rz350 and nojazzhere like this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

daily , I mean Daily , some one will come up to me and say" do you have loose lemons?" and I will point to the display they are standing right next to, that just happens to be FULL of fresh lemons. this happens about 10 times a shift .their usual reply to this is "OH!".

I love the public!

15. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Dude selling anything, but especially produce is outrageous.

Done it on and off since I was 12. In 2016 I panted 800 watermelon hills. Didn't do it last year or this year for reasons I won't go into at the moment.

Anyway, I'd sell them anywhere. Side of the road, flea markets, etc. At the flea market people would walk by and ask "How much?"

I'd reply, "Anywhere from $1 to $5, depending on the size." Very fair in the watermelon trade.

They keep walking. I mean at what price would have they bought one. 10 cents. If a homegrown watermelon ain't worth $1, then nothing is. Farming is hard work and the seeds cost, the diesel cost, the gas cost, fertilizer cost, etc. There's money to be made don't get me wrong but not at 10 cents. :D

PS: I will add I had big plans for last year which would carried over to this year too. A new strategy and all. I don't like to talk about it because it gets me upset.

6stringcowboy and nojazzhere like this.
  16. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

My petty rant of the day? Crap...why did Tom have to go and die on us?

Gibson, rz350, Mad Kiwi and 2 others like this.
  17. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

I know what you mean.

I once had a guy tell me that there are female and male watermelons. He then went on for 5 minutes about how to tell them apart. I was very respectful and just went along.

I think he was confused about the fact that there is male and female flowers on the vine and the bees pollinate the females from the males.

hemingway, naneek and 24 track like this.
  18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

At least he didnt say to look up under their little watermelon skirts to tell the difference!

It serms to be a social disease!:D:D:lol::lol::lol::lol:

listen to this!

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

An added (marginally) related fact....often the "ending cents" on a price tag lets employees know if any mark-downs have been taken. Forty plus years ago, I worked at Montgomery Wards for a while. I may not remember price points exactly, but something like... "$4.99" indicated regular price...."$4.88 indicated sale or mark-down price....."$4.77" meant first clearance mark-down (permanent).... then I think it went to "$3.92" and (and so on)... everything gets hazy from there...(after all, it was the seventies ;)).....this had nothing to do with pricing psychology (which IS a real and valid thing) but just to let employees know where this item was on the "mark down schedule".

24 track likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear that.

Nothing is petty anymore. Everything is Petty, which is to say, nothing much more important. Missed! :^(

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.