1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My pastor keeps bugging me about a song

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by DADGAD, Dec 30, 2020.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

In November, I composed an original Christmas song for our church. When I introduced it to the band, they all really liked it. They liked it a lot. I figured I might have something here. So, I made a simple recording of me singing and playing acoustic guitar, typed the lyrics and chords and scribbled down a rough score of the melody, chorus, bridge and ending. Spent $65 ($65?!!) to register it with the US copyright office.

The WT learned the song, getting better as days progressed and often asked to play it at rehearsals. My wife describes it as a real "ear worm" for her as she sometimes finds herself singing it out loud.

At our Christmas service morning rehearsal, we played the song and our senior pastor came in from his office. He said he liked it and asked if it was new. I smiled and said, "Yes it is." The whole team pointed at me and said, "He wrote it!" Pastor stepped out. We played the song again and pastor brought a couple elders and was talking and pointing at us. He pulled out his cell phone to video record us and sent the video to someone. He asked us to perform it again at our Christmas Eve service.

Well, the song is a big hit at our church. Many folks have complimented me on it and say how much they liked it whenever they see me. It's weird for me because I have composed many songs since taking songwriting classes in the 1990's. We already play some of my originals songs at church. But I've never had a reaction like this to a composition. Honestly, the band really delivered it beautifully. At the CE service, the singers sang it with their eyes closed.

That brings me to the point of my post. While planning a service in my office yesterday, the pastor came in. He asked me what I'm doing about "the song". Am I getting it out there? Can I get it published or recorded? At this point, it's a little late. Artists are not looking for new Christmas material until around August of each year.

What should I do with the song?

2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i don't know what you can do to promote it commercially. but artistically, i say that you need to see if you can write another song - or several songs! - in that league. find out if you've got something bigger going on. i hope that makes sense.

we would like to hear it.

mRtINY, Ascension and preactor like this.
  3. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

You might want to make a video and put it on youtube, and share it on facebook so that your friends might share it etc...

I don't really know either. That is how i would do it.

hotraman, William Pugh and DADGAD like this.
  4. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Thank you. Around 1999 I quit counting my originals at over 400. I teach songwriting.

Just returning to indoor services, we were having distortion issues with sound. But here is one recording of it live.

~ Glory To God ~
    (Christ Has Come)

Verse 1
    See the star pierce the night over Bethlehem.
    In the dark shines a light for the sons of men.

Pre Chorus
    Oh, rejoice! Come behold! The host of heaven sings;

Chorus 1: (Men/women/all)
    Glory to God in the highest! Peace to the earth in Messiah!
    Glory to God in the highest! Christ has come!

Verse 2
    Come and see Christ The King, King of Israel.
    This the child, Son of God, the Immanuel.

(Refrain)
    Oh, do not be afraid
    Come behold the babe
    Jesus, Jesus
    Our God has come to us!

Chorus 2: (Men/women/all)

Glory to God in the highest! Peace to the earth in Messiah!
    Glory to God in the highest! Christ has come!
    Christ has come! Christ has come!
    Glory to God!

© Gary Mould November 16, 2020. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

5. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Great song. At first I thought another I V vi IV worship song, but you quickly added other changes to make it more interesting. This performance has a lot to do with why I think it's a great song; the dynamics you came up with really add depth to the arrangement and your team is comprised of outstanding players and singers. I would present this one to our team if it were available commercially.

DADGAD likes this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Thanks, jbmando. The live dynamics get kinda lost in a squashed, streamed, MP3 like I posted. The live experience was more powerful.

7. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

The choir / ensemble singers sounded great on your song!
    Thanks for sharing

DADGAD likes this.
  8. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

You have until about August to get a recording done... You may want to fire up Sibelius and publish a score too.

DADGAD likes this.
  9. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

indeed! August is when everyone starts working on Christmas music for the following December. :D

I have a score written up. The thing I don’t know about is publishing and all that it entails.

10. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Very comforting. Thank you for sharing.

11. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, you started out right by properly registering your creative work.
    Good suggestions about drawing arrangements (also registerable creative works) for the August shopping season.
    The church music industry is not something I have any biz exp at - something tells me it's not quite the same as country, pop, metal or hip hop.
    Choose your business & licensing reps accordingly.

But don't stop there - maybe write a few more.
    We need some more Epiphany, Lent & Palm Sunday stuff, too . . .
    Peace - Deeve

mRtINY and DADGAD like this.
  12. Balata9999

Balata9999 TDPRI Member

I would just like to chime in that by August, almost all upcoming Christmas music will be in post production. I have done quite a bit of Christmas related music work - albums/placements/etc... my suggestion is that if you think the song is that great find a publicist that specializes in placements. It will cost you though to use their connections which is basically what you are paying for, an audience with the decision makers, which is hard to get in the industry on your own without lots of time and hard work, so your basically paying for that privilege with a publicist.

April is the big month for Christmas music for TV, Movies, Ads, artists looking to fill out an album etc.

FYI:Everything is negotiable, especially if your song is as good as you say. If someone really thinks it could be great you have more leverage. But don’t expect it to be cheap to get it in front of the right people.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  13. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Balata9999 for the reply. I am working with a publisher now. The publisher said need to register with BMI or ASCAP. Is one better than the other? I have some studio pros re-recording the song now so that I can float a quality product around.

14. Balata9999

Balata9999 TDPRI Member

Not much difference. Both do the same thing. One just might offer some different membership perks like discounts and things that vary from the other, look them up and see if one has discounts that you might could use. Theoretically you would receive the same royalty check regardless of which one you choose if you song gets performed.
    Post the song when you have it finished. I bet a lot of us would love to hear it. Best of luck.

DADGAD likes this.
  15. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

It's been a busy couple of months as I've worked to make a more professional recording of this song. I've taken suggestions to get this original song out there in beginning in April for the December 2021 Christmas season. I plan to put together a package with CD, USB thumb drive, musical score and artwork to send out.

What do you think of this updated recording?

16. gcdcpakmbs

gcdcpakmbs TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Very nice. Sign me up.

17. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

DADGAD, just curious. How did you find a publisher? And how did the process work to get them to help you? Did you have to send them the song first?

18. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

WARNING: please don't ask that question if you don't want an answer. (but hopefully you REALLY do). Here goes...

All the tracks are there and ready to go. Don't change a thing. However ----
    The mixing is BORING. There's no real ear candy or magic. After the first minute I was bored of the instrumentation and layering. Nothing moved or flowed or grabbed me and kept me listening. There was no tension or frequency struggles. No automation that I seriously noticed. (you might have some - I just didn't notice it). Tweak them reverbs and phasers slightly.
    The vocals kind of just sat there.

I think it needs some Analog/Tube treatment on the high's. Something gritty to give it energy.

You could probably do all this in a few hours. I'd love to hear what you come up with.

19. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Looks like I'm late to the party. I know I listened a while back and meant to give it another listen then respond.

Didn't mean to wait over a month.

Here are my thoughts. I really like the song. Unlike Goldie, I like the instrumental mix. Some more grit on a guitar part could add some variation, but it's not necessary for a demo. An artist or producer will decide if they want that or not for their cut.

It does sound to me like you spent a lot of time and probably money on the instruments, and not much on the vocals.

The two (I think it's only two) voices aren't always quite together, for example. And don't have the collective power of the choir on the early version.

I say this because I've done the same thing. Got all the instruments great and then settled on the vocals. It might be worth listening to the vocals closely and then deciding if you want to recut some or all of them.

Really like the song. I"d like to pitch it to our churches musicians next Christmas.

Peace,
    Jay

DADGAD likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.