My passion for music is greater than my skill but...

RedSpyderX

TDPRI Member
Hi all!

My name is JC from Puerto Rico. Its crazy but I still remember clear as day the first time I heard The Final Countdown. I was 5 years old and I was so impressed with what I was hearing! It was not until the YouTube era where I finally got to see how John Norum was crafting that awesome sound. I've always flirted with guitars knowing some chords here and there so but it was not until 4 years ago that I decided to actually put in some effort into learning. I'm still a beginner and I dont know a LOT of stuff but I'm on a journey to learn all I can cause I really want to put into music stuff that I feel.

It all started with Genesis, the white Squier Affinity strat, a gift from my fiance. Then to satisfy my metal needs I bought Jessica, a Jackson SLATTXMG with EMG pickups. Then I was like, Im missing a Telecaster! I like that body! So I bought Aqua via Reverb, she's a Limited Edition Squier Bullet in Lake Placid Blue. Then 2 years ago JARVIS was on sale and I couldnt resist so I bought it. Jarvis is an Ibanez RG450. After Jarvis youll see a black tele body, thats going to be my first guitar project ever and was the reason for me to join the forum. I'll post details on the partscaster forum and hope I can learn from all of you!

IMG-1208.jpg

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
It is WAY better for your passion to exceed your skill level than the other way around!

You can always work at it and mark incremental progress, even as you are frustrated by your passion racing ahead of your current ability.

But to have the skills and lose the passion can be a real bummer, at least until you find a new passion and successfully let go and move on from the old one.

If your passion is leading your skill level, you are in a good place!

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
It is WAY better for your passion to exceed your skill level than the other way around!

You can always work at it and mark incremental progress, even as you are frustrated by your passion racing ahead of your current ability.

But to have the skills and lose the passion can be a real bummer, at least until you find a new passion and successfully let go and move on from the old one.

This is a good point... and something I've thought about posting a thread about.
Not that my skill level exceeds my passion, but that... I love playing guitar, there just isn't much music that I want to learn. I guess I should just make more of my own songs. ?

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
This is a good point... and something I've thought about posting a thread about.
Not that my skill level exceeds my passion, but that... I love playing guitar, there just isn't much music that I want to learn. I guess I should just make more of my own songs. ?
That is very much where I am, and have been...for better or for worse!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I am just lucky that I have had a pretty successful 35-year career in IT with another 6 to go as my passion for music far exceeds my skill. I have been quite a bit more active playing in the past 10 years though as I also see it as a way to keep my mind active as I age. Learning new songs, riffs, and techniques keeps the old synapses firing and hopefully helps to form new ones, it is also a great stress reliever for me. :)

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Welcome! The beautiful thing about music is that it never ask what your skill level is. Only people do that. Enjoy every note you cast into the void!!

RedSpyderX

TDPRI Member
I am just lucky that I have had a pretty successful 35-year career in IT with another 6 to go as my passion for music far exceeds my skill. I have been quite a bit more active playing in the past 10 years though as I also see it as a way to keep my mind active as I age. Learning new songs, riffs, and techniques keeps the old synapses firing and hopefully helps to form new ones, it is also a great stress reliever for me. :)
I'm on my 12th year IT career currently working on the Aerospace industry and music is my GOTO stress reliever!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

RedSpyderX

TDPRI Member

Never looked at it that way! Nice!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I'm on my 12th year IT career currently working on the Aerospace industry and music is my GOTO stress reliever!!

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I did a short stint early in my career as a temp working for GE who had a contract with Lockheed Martin to do hardware and software standardization at their missile plant in Orlando.

The job could have led to something permanent, but I was more interested in working in Higher Ed at the time, so I passed. Been doing IT in Higher Ed ever since.