My pair of RCA 6L6GC's need a home

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Joe D., May 23, 2020.

1. Joe D.

Joe D. TDPRI Member

I acquired these matched pair black plates long ago with an amp long gone.

I'm fond of my Clark 5E3, '59 Champ and a Supro clone of model 24(Lite), so that gives an idea of what tones I like.

A cathode biased amp like 5E5, Supro Thunderbolt, etc. would be a wonderful home for them.

Looking to do this in a small head format, nothing fancy.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Since you have a 5E3, a Thunderbolt would be cool. It's been on my list for a while now. I like the simplicity of the single input stage that can be wired stock or maybe with Hi/low inputs. The tilt EQ is a little different, and the paraphase inverter adds a nice old-school touch.

Attached Files:

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If you want a ‘bigger’ 5E3, the Fender 5E5 Pro....not the 5E5A but the 5E5....is just that....a 6L6 5E3 circuit.

mojek likes this.
  4. Wally

For a Supro, this circuit would interest me since the 1690T Coronado is, according to Jimmy Page, the amp he used with a steel to create those sounds on the early Zepellin albums. This is the basis for the Sundragon amps that he and Perry Margoulief have brought OT th eboutique market.

http://schems.com/bmampscom/supro/Supro 1690T.pdf

Nickfl likes this.
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Ooh, one channel with grid leak bias, and a floating paraphase inverter, this one should do some nice primitive toans.

Joe D. likes this.
  6. Joe D.

Joe D. TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I posted it here to avoid a debate on which Supro Jimmy Page used, etc. I would never sound like Jimmy Page, but an amp with a similartone, would be killer to me.

Any of these circuits would sound great with by 12" & 10" cabinet. The 12" is a Weber C12R (Yes, it's that old, but low usage) and a 10" is a Jupiter 10SC both 4 ohms, the cab is 8 ohms.

The old Supro circuits like the 1688TN & 1690T seem to be the top contenders. I'm not a tech(I wish) and would need someone to build it.

What would the output be for the 1690T, 25 watts or so? That would be perfect.

Another one in my warped brain is a cathode biased 5E7.

7. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

That's why I shy away from 4-input jacks, two input stages, tremolo, etc. Let an amplifier do what it's supposed to do in as short a path as practical. Low parts count. A philosophy that does not compromise gain or EQ choices. Easy build. KISS. YMMV.

Joe D. and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have similar plans (or intentions) for a (A?)NOS pair of Tung Sol 5881.

I also have a Carr Hemmerhead which is an amp like you're asking about, two 12ax7 into cathode biased el34 duet.
    My sense is that the theoretical wattage increase doesn't add a whole lot of volume or clean headroom compared to a comparable cathode biased 6v6 or el84 duet. The 28w is not that much louder or cleaner than my 18w Marshalls, which are not that much louder than my 12w Princeton. I actually hear a bigger jump from 12w to 18w than from 18w to 28w. As much the whole amp as the output though.
    For that matter I have a Dr Z Stang Ray that's supposed to be 30w and is a close interpretation of an AC30.
    Full volume is not that loud compared to small amps, and clean headroom increase is disappointing to me at least. Odd given that it really doesn't get distorted. The Hammerhead is also not very distorted.

Still worth using those tubes, but I at times wonder about a low voltage small transformer fixed bias amp as a better step up in size than choosing cathode bias as if it was a good idea to move up one step at a time.
    Something like a fixed bias 5e5/ 5e5a type with just two 12ax7 and only volume and tone.
    But I find I often miss having a bass control.
    Hmmm, the amp keeps getting bigger...

9. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

If they need a home, send them to me...I'm ALWAYS fostering homeless vacuum tubes.

Joe D. likes this.
  10. Wally

apologies for bringing up the Page thing. However, I think that the debate may be over on that subject since Page has spoken on the subject in a way that he never spoke for what...four decades??? The only ones who might still want to debate it are those who paid large sums for a Thunderbolt!?!?! (8^0.

As for a cathode biased 5E7, imho there would be no reason to go to the cathode bias there. That is my favorite tweed amp...bar one. It is not as punchy and loud as a 5F6A Bassman, and it sings with a sweetly saturated overdrive when pushed. It is not as raw as the 5E3 circuit. 26 watts in stock form, iirc. The last Pro I had was a ‘52 that I resurrected...magnificent amp. Paraphrase inverter, cathode biased....maybe my second favorite tweed. So many Good amps....The choice is not easy.

11. Joe D.

Joe D. TDPRI Member

Wally, I wasn't directing the Jimmy Page comment to you, it was just a general statement.

The sound of Who's Next and Quadrophenia is the Tweed BandMaster, but I think I have the Tweed thing covered, so that helped me decide.

I have decided what amp I want, the 1690T is the winner.

Now to find someone to build it.

Wally likes this.
  12. Wally

The tweed ‘thing’.... I have been fortunate to have owned a fair number of tweeds and to have worked on some models Which I have not owned. I don’t consider that there is one certain ‘tweed thing’. The BF guitar amps are much more Similar to each other in comparison.
    From 1956-1960, I consider that there are five ‘classes’ of tweed Sonics...
    Champ, Princeton
    5E3 Deluxe...all by itself.
    Vibrolux/Tremolux
    5E5A Pro, 5F4 Super, 5E7 Bandmaster and the 5E8A Twin. The Bandmaster is my favorite of these due to some subtle differences in the circuits.
    5F6A Bassman, 5F8A.....

Good luck with the project.

13. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

D-style!

Damnit I'm too late.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.