1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My 'other' guitars.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Nov 13, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Contrary to what some may think, it ain't all tailfins and vent holes around here, and to prove it, here's a current shot of my other guitars. The only one missing is my Taylor 254CE 12 string, which is off getting some adjustments.

IMG_20201113_153050498.jpg

IMG_20201113_153108968.jpg

IMG_20201113_153325238.jpg

IMG_20201113_153213478.jpg

IMG_20201113_153419458.jpg

IMG_20201113_153601518.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice bunch!

John Backlund likes this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Dang, Backlund! You got some guits!

4. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I like them all but Love the Telecasters.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I may have asked you this before, apologies if so...is that Gretsch resophonic guitar a square neck or round neck model? I love the pearloid headstock against the dark red burst.

6. John Backlund

It's a round neck. I play it in an open tuning, which would be no surprise, but never use a slide. I play it quite a bit, there's just nothing like a resonator for some things.

P-Nutz likes this.
  7. John Backlund

The white one is a, 2002 MIM. I bought it off of eBay, in 2003 I think, and joined this forum in the same year because of that guitar. I have had it longer than any other guitar, and also play it more often than any other guitar. It was my influence to create the Backlund model 200 several years later.

The other is a very recent 'Player' Telecaster that I bought about three months ago. It's a classic butterscotch blonde, and kept in an open tuning, while the white Tele is used in standard tuning.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  8. John Backlund

I just did a 'headstock count', I thought I had between 25-26 guitars, but I have 30....and one mandolin that needs a broken nut replaced.

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Please may I use the name Tailfin and the Vent Holes as a band name?

WalthamMoosical and mexicanyella like this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

What tuning do you like to use with it, and what draws you to that tuning?

I spent several years playing in C G D G B B, low to high, because I was playing an old Silvertone acoustic archtop and it sounded better that way than in standard...and I had initially wanted to come up with something weird. That guitar’s long gone now and I’ve just been using standard and sometimes drop D again. I should try that tuning again and see if I can recall the chord shapes I figured out in it.

What I liked about it was I could do big resonant low one-finger root/fifth double stops on the two lowest strings, I could get kind of a chorusy sound out of the two unison high strings since they were different gauges and tensions, and I could manage the slightly displaced “box patterns” for solo licks and the necessary slides to do that introduced some interesting variations on those licks. As I recall, I just used a regular set of .011 strings.

Anyway, that Gretsch is a beauty. Well, they all are, but the Gretsch aesthetics really hit me.

11. John Backlund

Definately!

But you'll need pompadours, bowling shirts, and white socks visible beneath your rolled-cuff Levi dungarees. It'll all be in the fine print of the contract agreement.

carpenter, Martian and P-Nutz like this.
  12. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Easily.

13. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

I noticed the headstock decal seems to be missing. Were necks switched, or a re-fin (pardon the pun)?

Cool guitars! My batch is about at your total number as well, but I've run out of space to put them.

14. John Backlund

It has an Allparts replacement neck, probably switched out twelve or thirteen years ago, can't remember exactly. I just never replaced the Fender headstock decal. I meant to do it, just never got around to it.

arlum and Brian Krashpad like this.
  15. Brian Krashpad

Haha, I totally can relate. My Da refinished my 1960 Duo-Sonic in the late 70's (some time after I bought it in '77). I finally got a replacement decal 5 or six years ago.

[​IMG]

oldfish and John Backlund like this.
  16. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I need you to talk to my wife. My stable currently has 12 electrics and 3 acoustics, (plus a couple Keyboard Synths). I'm having a hard time explaining why I need more electrics. To me it's obvious. I don't have a Gibson ES-335, '60s white SG Custom with 3 humbuckers and gold hardware, V, Explorer or Firebird. I don't have Fender Strat reissues of the Broadcaster, Nocaster, Esquire or the '56, '57, '59 or '63 Stratocaster. I don't have a Rickenbacker 660/12 or a Gretsch double cut Country Gentleman or a White Falcon. I don't have a Fender Esprite/Robben Ford model. Plus, because I don't want to be stuck in the past I'm still wanting to add an Ibanez Pia, Chapin Hawk, Suhr Modern, Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature, Jackson Phil Collen, Byrd Super Avianti, Vigier Excalibur Shawn Lane Signature, Tom Anderson Cobra and Cobra S, Fibenare Roadmaster '56, Hartung Embrace, Collings I-35 LC Deluxe and solid wood I-35 Deluxe.

Considering the size of your stable I'm thinking you're either single or a genius or married to another guitarist.

I need to get back to all the guitar dealer site's now because I wouldn't want to miss anything to lust over.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  17. John Backlund

One difference between the guitars shown hanging on the wall in my photo and most of those mentioned in your list, is that the cost of one of the guitars you lust after would probably equal, or perhaps exceed the cost of all seen on my wall, combined.

I could replace all of them for about $3300.

The most expensive guitar in the entire lot is a bit over $700 new, and that would be my new/used Epiphone Emperor Swingster, which being a second-hand guitar, was purchased for $550, including it's hardcase.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  18. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Really? Only 2 amps? You must have some serious self control.

19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Somebody certainly likes f-holes. I said f-holes, not a-holes....

20. Brian Krashpad

Feel free to show your better half the below photo. Though the same things John said about his passel are mostly true of mine as well (I did pay $750 for the LP Classic 10 or 15 years ago, and $850 for the TV Yellow DC Special 3 years ago).

P.S.-- married since '87

[​IMG]

Mike SS, Thoughtfree and hemingway like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.