My original design guitar. Pls let me know what you think

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I’m from the Sheldon Cooper school. Super asymmetry. I agree with the comment above that matching a creme color control plate and the pickup covers would make the asymmetry less jarring. The overall shape works for me. The guitar looks comfortable to play seated or standing. It’s a good size. Gibson was right to make the Les Paul smaller than its jazz boxes. I like the binding and the black headstock. The headstock being reminiscent of Gibson with in line tuners. If you were a student in an engineering design class, you’d get an A which would quietly be raised to an A+ when you brought it back with a new control plate.

Holy excrement. If a mid 70s Les Paul custom solid body was the size of an ES355, it would have an entire solar system revolving around it, or maybe a galaxy. You would not be able to see it because light could not escape!

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I’m from the Sheldon Cooper school. Super asymmetry. I agree with the comment above that matching a creme color control plate and the pickup covers would make the asymmetry less jarring. The overall shape works for me. The guitar looks comfortable to play seated or standing. It’s a good size. Gibson was right to make the Les Paul smaller than its jazz boxes. I like the binding and the black headstock. The headstock being reminiscent of Gibson with in line tuners. If you were a student in an engineering design class, you’d get an A which would quietly be raised to an A+ when you brought it back with a new control plate.
He asked, I opined.

magicfingers99

Friend of Leo's
Greetings! I have just finished my original guitar design and wanted to share. I appreciate any suggestions and I hope to improve on it in future builds.

As a big fan of Leo Fender, one of the main design consideration was to simplify the shape so that i could minimise having to sand inside tight concave curves. I hate sanding in the tight concave curves and I was imagining myself designing a production guitar so one of the priority was to make industrial production simple (I think Leo must have thought that way in his design process as well)
So bolt on necks and flat tops and locally available timber (New Guinea Rosewood is readily available in Australia and is sustainable and quite affordable as well) luckily for me, this was free. My carpenter neighbour couldn't use figured timber in his project so gave me some boards :)

It has 25.5 scale neck Wilkinson wraparound bridge and pickups,
Timber is New Guinea Rosewood and birds-eye maple.
The neck is angled at about 1.6 degrees.

The guitar weighs average and quite loud and resonant when strummed unplugged as well.

Tuners are DAddario auto trimming locking tuners. I love these tuners!
I like the guitar, but the back is prettier than the front. That switch, for me, is in a bad spot. I'd rather have it closer to my pickin hand like farther north on the guitar or even on the upper bout on the high E side (treble bout).

good job though,how does it sound?

bendercaster

Tele-Afflicted
It's killer. It's familiar but still unique, which is a tough place to find in design. And what is not to like about a wraparound bridge and P90s--plus, gold top and binding? I'd play it. The only improvement I can imagine would be to counter sink the control plate so it is flush with the top or to add a pick guard that is level with the control plate, like a Tele or Jaguar has.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
There's a guitar with a similar upper bout, and I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I saw it. But your build is cooler, since the one I think I'm remembering had a regular Les-Paulish lower bout. Definitely post a sound clip if you can.

...a chisel has been a dull instrument...

I think I found your problem.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
There's a guitar with a similar upper bout, and I've been racking my brain trying to remember where I saw it. But your build is cooler, since the one I think I'm remembering had a regular Les-Paulish lower bout. Definitely post a sound clip if you can.

I think I found your problem.

Yeah. That's the problem. I thought I made that pretty clear.

tele12

Friend of Leo's
Greetings! I have just finished my original guitar design and wanted to share. I appreciate any suggestions and I hope to improve on it in future builds.

As a big fan of Leo Fender, one of the main design consideration was to simplify the shape so that i could minimise having to sand inside tight concave curves. I hate sanding in the tight concave curves and I was imagining myself designing a production guitar so one of the priority was to make industrial production simple (I think Leo must have thought that way in his design process as well)
So bolt on necks and flat tops and locally available timber (New Guinea Rosewood is readily available in Australia and is sustainable and quite affordable as well) luckily for me, this was free. My carpenter neighbour couldn't use figured timber in his project so gave me some boards :)

It has 25.5 scale neck Wilkinson wraparound bridge and pickups,
Timber is New Guinea Rosewood and birds-eye maple.
The neck is angled at about 1.6 degrees.

The guitar weighs average and quite loud and resonant when strummed unplugged as well.

Tuners are DAddario auto trimming locking tuners. I love these tuners!

I like it. Nice work!
Since you did say you would appreciate suggestions, I'll suggest paint the headstock the same color as the body.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
I dig it. I’ve built a fair few guitars and bass guitars and I can’t seem to get away from them looking like a Fender, Gibson or PRS clones. Way to “design outside the box”! Looks like superb craftsmanship too.