My original design guitar. Pls let me know what you think

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by UjwalB, Oct 26, 2021.

1. UjwalB

UjwalB TDPRI Member

Greetings! I have just finished my original guitar design and wanted to share. I appreciate any suggestions and I hope to improve on it in future builds.

As a big fan of Leo Fender, one of the main design consideration was to simplify the shape so that i could minimise having to sand inside tight concave curves. I hate sanding in the tight concave curves and I was imagining myself designing a production guitar so one of the priority was to make industrial production simple (I think Leo must have thought that way in his design process as well)
    So bolt on necks and flat tops and locally available timber (New Guinea Rosewood is readily available in Australia and is sustainable and quite affordable as well) luckily for me, this was free. My carpenter neighbour couldn't use figured timber in his project so gave me some boards :)

It has 25.5 scale neck Wilkinson wraparound bridge and pickups,
    Timber is New Guinea Rosewood and birds-eye maple.
    The neck is angled at about 1.6 degrees.

The guitar weighs average and quite loud and resonant when strummed unplugged as well.

Tuners are DAddario auto trimming locking tuners. I love these tuners!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    mkster, rdjones, bsman and 40 others like this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I dig it! Kind of an EBMM St Vincent/Cardinal Instruments type vibe.

Are you able to take a pic with the whole guitar in the shot?

Personally, I don’t love the control plate. I’d ditch that and just go with a standard output jack into the body and switch, if it were me.

Everything else looks awesome to me!

3. Gimble

Gimble Tele-Meister

Very nice! Sort of a mash up of a P90 gold top Les Paul and Tele with a nod to 60’s futuristic design.

crazydave911, Gardo and UjwalB like this.
  4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Without seeing the whole thing it reminded me of the St Vincent or something which Reverend might issue. The quality of the finish looks good. Just need to see the whole thing.

crazydave911 and UjwalB like this.
  5. UjwalB

UjwalB TDPRI Member

Updated pics with whole guitar in shot as well. Thanks

rdjones and crazydave911 like this.
  6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd get a creme colored pickguard on there to tie the control plate into the rest of the body.

JL_LI and UjwalB like this.
  7. UjwalB

UjwalB TDPRI Member

I originally tried to go with a pickguard but wasn't able to make that work will give it another go. Thanks

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Afflicted

Well done! :cool:

9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Yeah man. Really dig the design. If you were US-based and the price was right I’d hit you up. Either way, looks like a nice guitar.

10. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

I like it too! The St. Vincent was my first thought too. At least the vibes.

UjwalB, crazydave911 and naveed211 like this.
  11. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I have to say I'm not in love with it from looking at the front. Looks cool, but not my cup of tea. But it looks really well made and it isn't my guitar, so my opinion doesn't matter!!

Now that one image you have of the back of the guitar...holy heck that looks cool!! All of those different angles and curves and contours come together to make a work of art. Can you post more pictures of the back side?

UjwalB and crazydave911 like this.
  12. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Only since you asked - not a fan at all. No symmetry, no continuity, it looks very random, but not in a good way.

UjwalB and soundchaser59 like this.
  13. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I'm not a huge fan the body shape, like teletail mentioned there is no symmetry anywhere, but I don't hate it. I also don't really dig the control plate. If it followed the arcs of the body it would look better, even better still would be a rear cavity and no plate at all but I get the simplicity of using top mounts and a plate.

Other wise I love it. The colors, the fit and finish, the contoured heel, all of that is great.

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. KATT

KATT Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Generally, I like the design. Especially the control plate and the contouring on the back. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the lower 'horn'. If it matched the other 3 'corners' without the added bump, then I think it would look more even.

15. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

+1 for more symmetry. First thought was Frank Brothers guitars -- a boutique builder right here in Toronto, Canada.

UjwalB likes this.
  16. ineed1more

ineed1more TDPRI Member

I dig it!
    Since you did a belly and heel contour, why not a forearm contour?
    Or perhaps I just can't tell if there is a forearm contour from the pics.
    Nice job.

17. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Holic

I like it! The body shape and control plate have a cool 50's/60's futuristic styling, like if Gibson had given the Moderne treatment to the LP. I really love the way you did the goldtop but let that beautiful woodgrain show through on the rest of the body. I also like the tummy relief cut and the relief at the neck bolts. My only suggestion might be something black in the hardware on the body that would pop with the black headstock. Maybe black control knobs or a black pickup switch.

18. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I like it!

The only suggestion that I can come up with is to make it slightly (not a lot) less "pointy" on the curves.

Nice work!

imo.

crazydave911, UjwalB and eddiewagner like this.
  19. Otisblove

Otisblove Tele-Meister

My first thought was also St. Vincent. I also get a little bit of a Harmony vibe. I don't love it and I don't hate it. I really like the cover under the knobs, the gold color and the binding. I also like that it's got P 90's. I don't love the headstock. Looks too much like a Telecaster. (I also don't love the St. Vincent headstock because it looks too much like an upside down Strat headstock.) There. That's my honest opinion. Much nicer than anything I've ever made, by the way.

[​IMG][​IMG]

UjwalB and crazydave911 like this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I’m from the Sheldon Cooper school. Super asymmetry. I agree with the comment above that matching a creme color control plate and the pickup covers would make the asymmetry less jarring. The overall shape works for me. The guitar looks comfortable to play seated or standing. It’s a good size. Gibson was right to make the Les Paul smaller than its jazz boxes. I like the binding and the black headstock. The headstock being reminiscent of Gibson with in line tuners. If you were a student in an engineering design class, you’d get an A which would quietly be raised to an A+ when you brought it back with a new control plate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.