1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

my one year review of the Tonemaster Deluxe

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by thunderbyrd, Dec 22, 2020.

1. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Man I couldn't imagine a Princeton tone master

It would weigh like 3 1/2 pounds!

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Not with a ToneMaster... they use an LED system with a completely different cap - and that cap may not be removable at all.

pugnax and Blue Bill like this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The BS exaggerations I see on this board are just so ridiculous!

That amp would weigh 4 1/4 pounds.

4. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

For the price though i would rather have the tube version- i played both side by side and there is just something ...in the tone and feel of the tube amp..

5. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Me too, and i have a bunch of jewel caps like in the pic from the other poster, but alas, you cannot. I checked with fender before trying/(breaking, lol) it and they confirmed it is not removable. Not a deal breaker but i have a bunch of colored blubs and the caps and mixing matching to come up with cool colors on the amps that take them is really fun.

6. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I can’t believe it took me this long to realize this, but I wonder if part of the reason that people seem to be more impressed by the Twin nailing the “feel” is that the Deluxe circuit uses a tube rectifier, and the model doesn’t quite nail the sag/compression. Whereas the Twin with its solid state rectifier is nice and punchy and doesn’t have nearly the same “tone is in the fingers” hullabaloo as the Deluxe.

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've been playing my TMTR for a year and a half now. I A/Bd it for a couple of hours with two standard floor model Twins after helping unpack it the day they arrived at the store. It cost me about 30% less than the standards would have. I was able to gig with it 4 or 5 times before the unpleasantness shut everything down and so far not a single person has IDd it as a solid state amp unless they tried to pick it up. I currently run it as half of a wet/dry rig with a JTM 45. A great match. As for sales, the store I bought it from has been unable to keep them in stock, they never go more than a day or two unsold. I watch the local Craigs list daily and no Tone Master has ever shown up in the listings.

8. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I once owned a DRRI which I sold for a TMDR. I never looked back. There is no hiss, no ticking tremolo and I can play it at home. Even though my Pathfinder 15R sounds better at low volumes than my TMDR

thunderbyrd likes this.
  9. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

Yes, tube amps USED to be the gold standard for tone. But those days are slowly disappearing. I still love a "good sounding" tube amp. But I can also love a "good sounding" SS amp too! Musicians are changing. Many, if not most, are getting tired of lugging around $1500.00 and up 75lb "one trick pony" amplifiers that sound "great" at one thing, when they can carry around a 40lb Boss Katana that sounds just as good if not better than many tube amps I've played through plus has tons of effects to go with it for a third of the price. In fact, amps are slowly going by the wayside in general anyway with companies like Kemper and Fractal Audio biting at their heels. More and more players are going direct. So, as good as tube amps are, they no longer are the "gold standard". Good tone is subjective and good tone is also good no matter how it's achieved. The Fender Tone master series kicks serious butt and, in my opinion, is not overpriced one bit.

thunderbyrd, StevesBoogie and Mike M like this.
  10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Deal breaker.

11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

It is the player that is the one trick pony. My DRRI only weighs 42 lbs.

driver8 likes this.
  12. Ironwolf

And the TM version weighs 22 lbs.

13. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

The Champion 40 only weighs 19 lbs. So if weight is your criterion, why not just get that?

Seriously though, how lazy/wimpy are we getting that we can't even lift an extra 20 lbs.? No wonder we have an obesity epidemic :lol:

14. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

The other guitar player in our band just bought an amp. Weight was his ONLY criteria. He does not bother with the minute details that consume most of us. He does not know the minute details even exist.

15. Ironwolf

Has nothing to do with obesity. Has to do with practicality, age and arthritic hips. My TMTwin weighs 33 lbs. I can deal with that.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  16. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

What amp did he buy?

17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

A small SS Peavey. He plays 100% clean.

driver8 likes this.
  18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well, i didn't expect this thread to turn into the "War and Peace" of amp threads.

i think i've seen something worth adding to whatever else i wrote in this thread. I've gone around to several other guitar forums and looked for discussions of the tonemaster amps. what i've seen is about the same as i see here at tdpri: there's about 10-20 percent that don't like them, for various reasons. but what i mostly see over and over is some variation of "I have used tubes all my life, didn't care for any SS, but i tried one of these and i am amazed." and i often see "Boy, i hope they make a princeton/bassman."

fender is having a big success with these. i wonder how it will affect their brains?

19. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

I bought the Tonemaster Twin, as over the years Twin Reverbs have been my favorite amp..but the older I get, the less I wanted to lug a old heavy Twin around. After 10 months of ownership and 4 gigs with the TM Twin(with the reverb firmware upgrade), I can say generally that it is a great amp. The only noticeable difference I can detect is that the TMTR lacks a little high end shimmer of the tube version, however if I use the SM58 IR on the DI out of the amp through a PA, then I get more of that top end and it sounds good. It appears to me that the neo Jensen speakers are voiced more in the midrange area, probably for more modern playing and to be more pedal-friendly..but it is a small thing to worry about in what is a killer amp.

Mike M likes this.
  20. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Says who? There are plenty of pros, including legends like BB King, who use SS amps.

Why not? And the fact is that they don't cost anywhere near what the tube versions cost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.