1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My oldest son just shared this (HOA content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

we have no street parking any place at all when snow exceeds 2”. And that makes perfect sense.

We’re only allowed parking on one side during the day as well, as the fire plugs are on the other side. And I’m fine with that, too. I think it’s just weird that they say you can do it any time and anywhere, except from 2-6am. The whole thing is just silly.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

My wife and I moved 3 years ago from a nice area of New Jersey to a gated community in South Carolina just inland from Hilton Head Island. Our community is pretty active with plenty of children although most of the population is older. Our fees are very reasonable and we have a beautiful, private 50-acre park, a golf course, an equestrian center, pools, deep water dock, tennis, pickleball, a nice club house and restaurant, etc. We are rather enjoying it and our HOA rules are pretty relaxed. Property values are somewhat important to me; I still have a hankering to move back to England some day.

And if you’ve ever driven around this area of the South to see what it’s like outside a regulated community, I think you might agree that you don’t want half a dozen old cars rusting on your neighbour’s driveway, non functional kitchen appliances on his front porch and a front lawn a haven for copperheads and chiggers.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And make the proles pay for it.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

All the gated communities that I deal with have HOAs.

5. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

My hoa is awful. Money for almost literally nothing in return.

6. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Don’t know if it has been mentioned, but the original picture in the OP echoes a thread a while back on another (less regulated) forum that detailed the correspondence of a homeowner who planted corn to mask a utility box or similar, the H.O.A.’s dissaproval, and the ensuing hilarity of the exchanges. It was a great thread, but the entire mess of rules can simply be avoided by complying, a little compromise, building relationships with people, or moving elsewhere.

Jim622 and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's the whole premise of an HOA is that like minded people live together in harmony. It's when a different minded people wishes to move into the property and change EVERYONE else that the problem arises. It seems pretty simple, if you don't want to be a round peg in a round hole, move to a square peg place, and leaved the little round people alone.

KevinB, brown2bob and Jakedog like this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I agree with this completely. And it goes beyond HOA stuff.

We have an area here not far from downtown. It’s a hip, really thriving neighborhood. Full of clubs and bars with loads of live entertainment, as well as high end nightclubs and boutique cocktail places. High end restaurants, art galleries, etc.

People want to move there because it’s a super cool and edgy entertainment district. Then all they do is complain that it’s loud at night and try to pass ordinances to ban all the stuff that made them want to live there to begin with.

Buncha Karens. Just live in the suburbs. Or a gated community with an HOA. That’s why they’re there. Why on earth would you move to a thriving entertainment district right on the edge of downtown, known for its nightlife and party atmosphere, and try to make it into the suburbs? How does that even make sense?

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

It’s similar in Australia with strata titles. I’ve been on the board and the one I was on was filled with skilled and experienced people who didn’t have time and morons and embittered old people who did.

meetings would never resolve anything because the aged and embittered needed the drama. The rest of us just wanted to get things done.

and then there was the guy who took over sacked the excellent gardener. Put his brother on.

a quick visit from my cousin the police officer saw him sell up. We sacked the brother instantly and had to find a new gardener.

10. Toto'sDad

I'm not gonna be a flipper on this, what you're saying is 100% correct. I don't think people who like to keep two jacked up Chevys in their front yard should live in an HOA, conversely, I don't want to see an HOA move into a neighborhood that keeps horses and cows in the front yard and complain about the animals. We had a great half mile track way out from the main part of town. THEN, some folks decided to build houses out there. What was the first thing they did? Naturally they complained about the noise! Why would you build a house next to a racetrack and complain about the noise? No, the thing to do, is let those who want to live in an HOA place do so. Let those who do not wish to live with an HOA let him build away from them. Just don't try and mix with each other, ain't going to work. It's kind of like trying to get a bunch of meat eaters and vegans to agree on what's for dinner.

11. Toto'sDad

From the internet, so it could be true, and it could also not be true. Around 70 million people in the U.S. have chosen to live within the confines of HOA controlled housing. If that is true what a few people on the Bad Dog think, or have to say about it is going to have zero affect on anything one way or the other. When I had hunting dogs, I'm sure some of my neighbors didn't care much for my hounds. I didn't live in a fancy home when I kept hounds, it was a modest place that didn't even have curbs or sidewalks. There were chickens and probably cows and pigs out there too.

When I sold out and moved to a nice house with a pool I was all done with hounds, chickens, cows, and pigs. I had moved to a place where I could be free of all that, and would have been against someone moving in with any of the above. As I said, there horses for courses and people for places.

12. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Neither ones a hoa ones me wife and the others me sister

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

BC91EA01-6042-43D6-BD27-C757D5D6B993.jpeg

CC3C0050-9B27-424A-9CE4-C6FE973D37E8.jpeg

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Jim622 and blowtorch like this.
  14. dlew919

It’s similar in Australia with strata titles. I’ve been on the board and the one I was on was filled with skilled and experienced people who didn’t have time and morons and embittered old people who did.

meetings would never resolve anything because the aged and embittered needed the drama. The rest of us just wanted to get things done.

and then there was the guy who took over sacked the excellent gardener. Put his brother on.

a quick visit from my cousin the police officer saw him sell up. We sacked the brother instantly and had to dine a new gardener.

I now lice in a house.

15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Sort of like the people that buy a house that they know is on the glide slope of the regional airport and then complain that aircraft are flying at low levels directly over their house .
    I live in a Central Business District that apparently doesn't care for my business . It just happens to be the second oldest continuously operating business location in the town and pre-dates zoning by a good 52 years . Right now , a married couple is trying to successfully develop an area directly across from me . A move that I ardently endorse . The wife has apparently taken a dislike for me and had my 2 Smokehouse Apple trees removed from a property that she and her husband recently bought . When I learned of the sale , I immediately found and asked Barney if there were ant plans for the trees . The previous owner allowed me to plant them and this was shaping up to be a banner year . They were removed while in full bloom .

16. dlew919

I should add I don’t mind the existence of such groups. But the rules should be about improving the collective not oppressing the individual. The difference between a good lawyer and a bad lawyer is a good lawyer tells you what you can do. A bad lawyer tells you want you can’t do. Same with these committeees. A lot of them tell you you can’t do this or that. The good ones the Help you do the things that improve your day to day life.

17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I lived in a condo for many years that had, for some reason, an excellent condo board. They kept things running well and were very open about their meetings being "open".

Ours was the middle building in three identical buildings and our condo fees were always higher then the other two, not by a huge amount, but it was talked about. The condo board just said, "We like having a decent reserve fund."

Come time for a new roof (all three buildings were the same age and they all needed them about the same time) and guess what? Our building was the only one that didn't have a $6000 or so assessment for roof replacement. The reserve fund covered it.

A few years later they offered anyone that wanted the option of having their windows replaced with high-spec, tripled glazed windows and replacement heating/cooling units and maybe 20 percent of the residents took up the offer. Then, about six months later, the condo board said that it would pay for everybody's windows and heaters (in a 400 unit building) to be replaced because the heating/cooling efficiency would pay for itself in seven years.

They treated the staff very well and the staff (the cream of the crop) stayed forever. Our front desk guys saw my daughter grow up from the day we brought her home from the hospital until we moved out 14 years later.

I loved my condo board.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  18. omahaaudio

That kind of rule was originally designed to stop hookers servicing their clients in cars in quiet neighborhoods.

19. omahaaudio

Then you need to live very far away from any other people.
    You know, one of those 60-miles-from-the-nearest-gas-station-and-minimart sort of places.

20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Maybe, if you're really lucky, he drank it...

Around here you don't advertise that you have a lawnmower, because by morning, you won't.... :lol:

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.