1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My oldest son just shared this (HOA content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

There are some neighborhoods built by a single builder who made every house pretty much the same. Same siding, same roof, same trim color, same everything. In those cases, I can see how changes some are out of whack (and you know these when you move in). But then there are places where houses are not so cookie cutter and then trim and shingle color shouldn't matter. There are probably some rules 95% would agree with and others only 5% would. The gray area is the first debate and the heavy handed methods used is the second. I don't live under an HOA, but the city code enforcement serves the same purpose, it's just more limited.

I did have a guy tell me that with his HOA he was told the doghouse he wanted to build needed to be masonry construction.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Annie and Oakley were utterly delightful goats who has their own "high ground" furniture and other amusements. Clearly, these gals were model citizens, but so were the chickens - they could tell when it was time to march back into the enclosure and nearly managed themselves.
    Best of all, they wandered under the trees, feasting on fallen fruit, as well as bugs & worms.
    After a move from the HOA neighborhood, fresh chickens are back in the menagerie, so the horses and dogs and cats have a part of their family restored. :cool:
    Peace - Deeve

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t know if I want you as a neighbor. Playing with our toys would be fun, but how’s your lawn look? Neighbors whoont take care of the property drive me nuts.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Not knocking your folks with the animals. My point is, there are horses for races, and people for places. Not everyone wants a goat or chicken around. It's better if the animal people make camp together, and those that aren't into that sort of thing, live somewhere else. My wife's painting friend has chickens, and to tell you the truth, I'm glad she lives far enough away I don't have to listen to, or smell them. One of her chickens used to come and peck around at the door, my wife's friend would open the door to her back porch, wash area, the chicken would come in, and lay an egg under a chair that sat there. It was a GREAT story, but me? I don't want no chicken in the house. The one's I've been acquainted with often leave behind something that comes out of the same chute, but it ain't an egg! I've always wondered how they keep that straight.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

and why is that, would you say? how does that affect anything that has to do with you?
    really, what difference does it make to you, your family, and all of your well-being?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, really
    Just trying to understand

And I think we must state that "take care of property" means different things to different people-so yeah, that's where the HOA comes in, to dictate that to everyone

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    stinkey and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

There were no HOAs in place at this property. I would rather live where I do now, than where I did then.

upload_2021-5-3_16-51-19.png

7. Jim622

It goes to quality of life. It’s a civilized society, we have an obligation to each other to live that way. Back in the 70s Philly had a group called MOVE that turned their home into a compound. Look them up. They didn’t believe in bathing, threw trash over their fences, their kids didn’t see doctors or go to school. Due to mistakes from both sides it ended terribly for them and the neighbors, and the the neighborhood.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. blowtorch

so local laws and ordinances don't sufficiently cover this?
    You need even more governing bodies dictating things to everyone?

and if so, who gets to decide who's idea of what "civilized society" is will be the rule, and then go around the neighborhood with a measuring stick?

stinkey, Oldsmobum and scook like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Absolutely NO argument here.....but I'm gonna take a stab at the street parking issue. Mind you, I'm not saying I'm right, but I've known of two concerns. One happened when my mother lived in a house just a couple blocks from Texas Christian University. (TCU) Mostly students would be parked on both sides of a narrow residential street, and there were times emergency vehicles could not get through. Our trash is picked up by trucks with an "extension" arm, and sometimes there was no place to put the trash cart at the curb. The second example I know of probably never happens today, but years ago, we actually got a street-sweeper in the middle of the night once a month, and parked cars blocked them. Also, in Euclid, Ohio, my brother can't have cars on the street when snow is predicted, because they block snow-plows.
    So, what I'm getting at is SOMETIMES there are valid reasons for rules we may not agree with.....although with most city employees, logic and common sense don't enter into the equation.

Treehouse, Jakedog and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Jim622

I agree, I am always for less government control, but no HOAs for me. We are at the house where I will make my last stand, so I have to make it as comfortable as possible,

Mad Kiwi, nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

When I clicked on this to attempt to answer the question you posed, you had edited the original premise. So, I will just deleted what I had to say. It really doesn't matter anyway, those who like things a certain way, will continue to like them, and those who wish to have it another way will not be dissuaded no mater what, so it's really pointless.

nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  12. blowtorch

sorry I'm always posting and then thinking of stuff to add, to help people not get confused and see more clearly that I am of the correct opinion:)

Mad Kiwi, Jim622 and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Nope......my property, my house, my shotgun, get off my lawn.

meric, Jim622, stinkey and 1 other person like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

The street sweeper issue was something I overlooked. When cars are parked all over willy nilly, the street sweeper is not very effective. I have lived where there were regularly scheduled street sweepings, and where there was none. I much prefer the cleaner streets. I live where the street sweeper comes by about every two weeks, I enjoy living with cleaner streets.

I like my house clean inside, and outside. When I see a dumpy yard, I'm guessing, and I would further guess, that my guessing is right more than it is wrong, that the inside of the house matches the outside. That's a lot of guess work, but it's born out by my admittedly long out of date experience working for people in their homes. When I had a small appliance repair business, I have seen people living in far filthier surroundings than any animal dens I ever encountered in the woods hunting. People who don't take care of the things they own, in MY OPINION, and MINE alone, are not to be trusted. I dagburned for sure don't want to eat with them.

Jim622 and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Now how can you argue with that kind of logic? :)

16. blowtorch

animal dens are generally pretty tidy. with some exceptions of course

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. blowtorch

And again, one person's idea of "take care of" and another person's idea of that can and does vary a lot

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Indeed, when does the east become the west?

19. blowtorch

eastWARD never changes, in the sense that if you're moving eastward you are always moving in the same direction
    some guys are just closer to the horizon than others :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

By that token, Westward would also remain unchanged. In reality, one does become the other if you continue long enough in that direction. Wait, are we talking round or flat earth here?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.