1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My oldest son just shared this (HOA content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

I am so proud :cool:

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

That's cool and I wish.

I never knew what an HOA was until I moved to California. Yeesh. I bought a condo in Laguna Hills 1977 for $54,000. The place was nice and kept clean and it still is that way. The rules were pretty explicit. But when I found out it was my neighbors on the board that asked me to take my bbq off my back patio I flipped. I had to put it in my front patio closer to the kitchen??? That way the smell doesn't bother people sitting out on their back patios. Shoot me. I love anyone who sticks it to the HOA. California is some of the worst. I know they aren't all like that across the country.

On another note I just looked at Laguna Woods Village (55 and up) and their HOA is $1716.00 per month on new residents. WTF? There is height restriction on your lawn. If it goes over the restriction they mow it for you and hand you the bill and it ain't pretty.

Tonetele, uriah1, nojazzhere and 3 others like this.
  3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I feel like half of TDPRI hates HOAs, and the other half is on the board of an HOA.

this one could get ugly...

4. blowtorch

It's all about wanting to control (and exclude) "undesireables"
    I mean, TD will tell you differently....

5. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I'm fortunate to live in a great neighborhood with an excellent HOA. We had the same low annual rate for the first five years we lived there and only raised it when the neighboring primary HOA decided to keep our allocated funds. Excellent pool, playground and pickleball court and the landscaping is meticulously maintained. Until we moved in 6 years ago I had not been part of an HOA and frankly was terrified after reading up on them. Ours has been fantastic.

Tele907 and dented like this.
  6. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

1. The biggest scam ever devised is HOA's. There is not enough oversight and embezzlement of funds is rampant. They get sued in this state on a pretty regular basis.
    2. Assessments are a way to continually pick the pocket of owners.

Nickfl, uriah1, dented and 4 others like this.
  7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yep... HOA's can be really good, or really bad. I've experienced both and these days I prefer to not have one. If I ever did decide to have one, I'd be surely doing my research on em before I moved into it.

Peegoo, Deeve, dented and 1 other person like this.
  8. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

lawdy... thought I was alone. I have a 10x10 patch of grass in front of my house and my hoa is sending threatening letters 24hrs after it reaches 4.1 inches. if we leave the garbage bins in the street for more than 8 hrs they send threatening letters. one time our guy was out there trimming and they sent threatening letters because the garbage bins were in my driveway in front of my garage door (lawn guy was only there for 3 hrs???).

I live in a perfectly nice neighborhood but it's not beverly hills. associations are made from folks who have grown old bitterly and would love nothing better than to be empowered to normal people over nonsense. I appreciate what they do - no houses in the area with 3ft high lawns... but jeez, get a grip!

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I will never, ever, live anywhere with an HOA.

Bryan A, SheldonP, stinkey and 26 others like this.
  10. blowtorch

keeping a lawn close-cropped is a silly old-fashioned idea that originated from fear of snakes :confused:
    and it's ecologically unsound, at that, especially after you add in the herbicides and waste of water

ponce, P-Nutz, Deathray and 3 others like this.
  11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Bassman8, SRHmusic, Deathray and 4 others like this.
  12. blowtorch

"aint that America, for you n me"

meric, SheldonP, Preacher and 15 others like this.
  13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

yeah, esp in a desert????!!!##!! HELLO. I should really just replace that patch with gravel but that feels way too much like losing! I get it... one a lawn gets 6-9" long it doesn't look as nice... but you know what else doesn't look as nice? astro turf. flipping nazzis.

ce24 and blowtorch like this.
  14. E5RSY

Nope, just for him.

Stubee likes this.
  15. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I love HOA's!

The amenities, the nice neighborhood, pools, gyms, bike trails... all the exclusive benefits are wonderful. Every time I visit my buddy, I live it up in his HOA.

But when I bought a house, anytime the real estate agent breathed HOA, I said, "nope, next house".

16. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Two years living with an HOA. Some good, some bad, some absurd. I prefer it after ten years next door to the neighbor from hell. With the HOA there is protection from the pink house above, a cul de sac completely blocked with junk cars, 6 month growth lawn and other problems the city won’t say or do anything about.

17. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

It’s hard enough to get along with some neighbors without them directly dipping into your pocket.

I know myself well enough to avoid them. Besides, any house I buy at this point is likely to become my tomb, so I’m not stressing over resale.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. E5RSY

My main beef with our HOA is street parking...we're not allowed to do it (30-minute limit). It is absurd, to borrow a term from above. This is despite the fact the streets are public and maintained by the county. They are NOT private and the HOA does nothing to maintain them. But, it was buried in the covenants and conditions that we all signed when we moved in, so now we have to deal with it.

Bassman8, dented, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

A big part of my monthly income comes from representing HOA's or people who are fighting with HOA's. I love money, so I love HOA's ;). I have also told my wife that if she ever wants to move into a house governed by an HOA that she and I will be getting divorced. Knowing what I know, they just don't make wild horses big enough to drag me kicking and screaming to live in a sub division governed by an HOA.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

So far we seem to be on the same page. :D

Jim622 and blowtorch like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.