My old Marshall is coming home tomorrow.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My first JCM 900 4102 combo is coming home.

I’m going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I bought it new in 1992. I had it until 2014. I didn’t know it at the time but my head wasn’t working straight at all. July of ‘16 I had a massive mental and physical breakdown, and ended up in the hospital for a couple weeks. That was followed by a long and really messy recovery. It stemmed from undiagnosed mental health issues I’d had my whole life, but looking back now I can see that I really started to nose-dive HARD around mid ‘14.

Anyhow, one of the things I did then was begin divesting myself of stuff I’d treasured forever, with no explanation. A friend mentioned he loved the amp, and I had two of them, so I sold it to him dirt cheap. Even though it was my favorite amp. He kept it for a while, then sold it on. It was lost track of for a bit, but for the last couple years has lived with my buddy a couple of suburbs away.

During my recovery period after the breakdown, my physical health seriously declined. I had to sell the second one because I wasn’t physically capable of moving it. The guy who bought it had to come to my house and drag it out of my basement because I couldn’t even lift it. I sold a lot more stuff then and went totally ultra-light with everything from guitar amps to PA gear, because I honestly did not believe I would ever be “me” again and be able to move the stuff.

More and more things got figured out with my health, and today I’m happy to say I’m finally in better shape mentally than I’ve probably ever been in my life. And while I’m not in the best shape I’ve ever been in physically, I’m light years beyond where I was from ‘16-‘20. I can definitely carry and move heavy gear and play all night standing up like I used to. It’s not even hard. It makes me really happy, because a few short years ago I didn’t think I would ever be able to do it again.

I have a lot of very deep regret about things I did when I was seriously starting to decline. A lot. Even though I know it wasn’t exactly my fault, I’m still the guy who made the awful decisions. One of which was letting my 4102 that I owned for more than 20 years go away for no good reason at all.

But, they say all is well that ends well. I contacted my friend who has the amp today, to see if there was any possibility of ever getting it back. He told me he only bought it and held onto it a couple years back because he knew it was mine, and that I would eventually want it back. He wanted me to be able find it easily when that day came.

So we made a deal, and my old Marshall will be coming home to stay. I’m not looking forward to carrying it around, as it outweighs a Twin Reverb by easily 10-15 pounds, but I am looking forward to hearing it behind me again.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Sounds like success on multiple levels. Nicely done my man.

I wish I had my first Marshall head back. I bought it for $350. JCM800….
I wanna say that’s about what I paid for the JCM800 2205 (Tom Morello amp) that I used to have. I sold it for six or seven hundred? I don’t even wanna look at what they’re going for now.

My very first ever Marshall was a ‘76 50 watt JMP head and matching 4x12. I bought the whole half-stack in a pawn shop for $300. I kept it for years, but finally let it go when it was worth a whole lot more than I paid for it, and there was just no place to play it anymore. We didn’t know about things like attenuators back then. The only ones were the Scholz Powersoak and the Marshall Powerbreak. And they both sounded like doodoo.

I distinctly remember buying the 100 watt 4102 to have a “small” gig amp with a master volume. Lol.

Neptical

TDPRI Member
@Jakedog

Cheers to new beginnings! Coming full circle with your amp seems like it was meant to be right from the get-go. Now, that's awesome!

Glad your friend is coming back home and you now get to play it in good health. I have a JCM 900 SL-X 2500 that sounds absolutely beautiful!!

As much as I'm here for the gear, I'm also here for support. Should you ever want to chat, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm sure we could pass hours just chatting about gear! Lol Take care my friend!

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Thanks for sharing the "rest of the story" around the amp. Sounds like you are winning on so many levels these days! Enjoy that Marshall :)

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Congrats from another longtime Marshall guy. Glad you’re all better and you are getting your amp back.

Enjoy and we will need to see photos of that amp.

Last edited:

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Nicely done mate. Glad she’s coming home….

The Engl being retired then?
Absolutely not. The Engl will continue regular gig duties. Ain’t too many places these days where a guy can let the clutch out on a 100 watt Marshall 2x12 combo. But when I do have a gig where I can get away with it, it’ll be a lot of fun.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
And… She’s home. For good.

C50B625D-1820-4388-A331-B66D3CEC0C5A.jpeg

Needs cleaned up. It’s got some crap on the grill cloth. Casters are MIA. Apparently they disappeared after the initial guy I sold it to had it, and before it ended up with my buddy, Jimmy. That’s easily remedied.

It sounds exactly like I remember it. I can’t for the life of me figure out why 900s still get a bad rap with a lot of Marshall people. No, it doesn’t sound like a Plexi. But it’s a killer sounding amp. The only real downside to these is that the reverb is nothing to write home about. But duh, it’s a Marshall.

I’m a very happy camper.