My old '93 tele seems to be quieter (less volume?) than it used to be...?

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
So, after 20 posts and a month and a half later, the consensus is that nothing has really changed? 🙄
Only my perception, apparently... fueled (re-ignited actually) by the recent purchase of another new guitar that is louder than my #1. I've done enough reading and talked to enough people who know about pickups/building that I am convinced the magnets have not de-guassed, as the guitar has not been in a situation "strong enough" to cause them to.

I also recently got a new amp: no master volume, which is not my usual. The NMV circuit lays bare any differences in guitars, pickups, VOLUME.... it's been interesting.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Touch up the solder joints of the wiring in the signal path common to both pickups. One may be going cold..developing increasing resistance. Maybe your volume pot resistance has changed. I would suggest changing those strings. I mean, 28 years ?! C'mon, Man. :D

Exactly this. Dirty pots or a failing solder joint will do this. If you’ve had a pot come loose and turn with the knob, that’s a prime candidate. Also the jack. If the jack is dirty, that could be an issue too.

But before you touch the guitar check your cable. Common cause of a bad signal.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Dang! Here I was hoping for a lot more than my current four years
Max life for strings! 🤣🤣🤣
My dad has a Bronze series Warlock hanging on a wall that still has the strings on it from the day he brought it home from a pawn shop and changed them. The trick seems to be infrequent dusting and playing it <10minutes a year for about 15 years. They're either elixirs or EBs. It not my guitar and it was 15 years ago, so can't remember.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Probably a poly finish so I don’t think it’s soul has escaped yet…..

What a selling point for poly, “hard plastic shell! Keeps the mojo in!”
I’m working on a breathable poly finish, bit like breathable fabrics that let sweat out but stop rain getting in. A kind of a one way mojo barrier. Mojo gets in then can’t escape. Also, bear in mind that the greatest mojo loss is through the jack socket when you play the guitar unplugged. I have a dummy jack that I plug in to prevent this. Must have saved hundreds of MUs (mojounits) over the years.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I’m working on a breathable poly finish, bit like breathable fabrics that let sweat out but stop rain getting in. A kind of a one way mojo barrier. Mojo gets in then can’t escape. Also, bear in mind that the greatest mojo loss is through the jack socket when you play the guitar unplugged. I have a dummy jack that I plug in to prevent this. Must have saved hundreds of MUs (mojounits) over the years.
Yes…yes… of course! Of course!

(Browse’s over clipboard in hand making corrections to the papers on it with a pencil)

Silly me, I wondered where the leak was!

The socket!

Without it plugged in the mojo must pour right out!

Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes…yes… of course! Of course!

(Browse’s over clipboard in hand making corrections to the papers on it with a pencil)

Silly me, I wondered where the leak was!

The socket!

Without it plugged in the mojo must pour right out!
Your white coat needs a wash and, please, these straps are a little tight. Have the visitors been yet…………..?