1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My oddball telecaster/amp pairing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Apr 23, 2021.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Being a known oddball myself, perhaps it won't be that much of a surprise that I almost always play my tele through a Boss acoustic amplifier, even though a bunch of very capable alternative guitar amps are stacked in close proximity.

The telecaster...ok, quite normal so far, right?
    IMG_20201021_220153128.jpg

But the amp...a 120 watt Boss Acoustic Singer Pro...
    IMG_20201027_235121804.jpg

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Soundclips!

Fretting out and That Cal Webway like this.
  3. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Is it possible you've strategically hidden a sound hole beneath the pick guard?

4. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

Priceless!

That Cal Webway likes this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Trendsetter!

6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love it!!

Sometimes I'll play my telecaster and Stratocaster through the acoustic setting of my Katana, since I'm a clean player.

39martind18 likes this.
  7. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have enjoyed the sound of my electric guitar through a Fender Acoustasonic Junior acoustic guitar amp. And "keyboard amps", and powered PA speakers, and into a mixing board. Clean tones, nowhere to hide!

39martind18 likes this.
  8. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My hollowbody electrics are all equipped with a piezo bridge. This gives them a quasi-acoustic voice that sounds great through my Fishman Loudbox Artist. Should I want a more "electric" sound, a Boss FDR-1 pedal does the trick, getting sounds that are good approximations of a Deluxe Reverb. It's an all around tonal win-win!

9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I've seen teles into acoustic amps a lot. Acoustic amps sometimes become the guest amp. I've played tele and strat through fishman amps while sitting in.

10. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

I've found a tele sounds pretty good through my Peavey keyboard amp. Squeaky clean fun..

11. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Thanks for that. I just gave it a try on both the Marshall acoustic amp and the Katana head on the acoustic setting. By golly I think you're on to something. Sweet and clean with no treble bite. Very nice. Not ready to get rid of my acoustic but I can think of lots of uses for that tone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  12. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

OP @John Backlund doesn't mention any pedals that he's using to play a Tele through an acoustic amp. I would imagine that a "voicing pedal" like the Joyo American Sound would be a minimum to keep the sound from being too "sterile". I haven't tried it myself, because I have small bass amp setup that I use for acoustic and an Allen Sweet Spot tube amp for my electric guitars.

13. John Backlund

I use an ancient DigiTech RP-50 that I bought it at a pawnshop probably ten years ago. I think I might have paid $25 for it. It's pretty much all I need.
    IMG_20201027_235103001.jpg
    The amp has a pretty decent built-in reverb in both the vocal and guitar channels, as well as a couple other effects that I never use.

I use the RP-50 for a couple of occasional goofy effects as well as a deep guitar tremolo, for one example, an ethereal version the the Everly Brothers 'All I Have To Do Is Dream'.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  14. John Backlund

I also have a DigiTech Mosaic 12 string effect pedal that I probably have twenty minutes of fooling around with before I just said "Screw it, this ain't doing it for me" as far as simulating a 12 string guitar sound, so I just went out and bought a $3000 Taylor and got it over with.

Fortunately, the 12 string Taylor sounds exactly like a 12 string guitar, so even though it was somewhat expensive, it gets the job done.

Now, I need to ditch that Mosaic effects pedal, so off to eBay and Reverb it will soon go.
    IMG_20210417_080809367.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.