My OCD about the OCD and what I have learned...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, May 5, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Be warned, weary traveler, as you enter the hollowed halls (hallowed?…probably not) of my mind, you risk your sanity. Journey forward at your own peril into the depths of one mans opinions on the OCD based on his own first-hand experience...

TL;DR (Too Long, Don’t Read [the rest] ) - They can all be dialed in to sound about the same or similar. While the audience will never know, the player will interact with each version a bit differently. The feel and/or nuances in how they sound is what sets them apart and the different versions tend to push the same amp a little differently (I think this is based on how the tone stack is eq’d differently in each version and/or other various tweaks he did.) They push differently enough that the amp will respond/sound a little different for each, assuming a tube amp, edge of breakup.

I’ve included below two really good OCD videos from ToneJunkie and That Pedal Show that hi-lite some great stuff about the various versions, if your into deep diving this stuff. Also, a small list of budget alternatives at the end which I have compared to the OCD’s, one being quite the surprise.

— The Details —

I have been able to try and compare in person a 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6 all on the same amp. At separate times, I have compared multiple 1.7s and 2.0s including the Ge version, but on various in-store amps. The amp used for the “in person” testing is a Mesa Boogie California Tweed. While not exactly, its similar in sound to a ’59 Bassman LTD Reissue, the amp I owned prior (stage volumes may tell a different tale)

Here are my thoughts on the pedal in least favorite to most favorite order.

I will say off the bat I am not a fan of the 1.7s as they have always sounded too bright/brash for my tastes - perhaps too healthy a dose of the upper mids. The 2.0s seem to take the brightness up a notch (attributed to the 2.0 buffer per Dan in TPS video) while reducing the mids a bit. If I had to pick a current production OCD, it would be the OCD-Ge. I had one and willingly parted with it, so its more of a “I can get by with it” mindset than anything. There are plenty of MIAB pedals out there that do as good of or better job than the current production OCDs, depending on player preference.

The v1.3 is my next least favorite as it has the most mids of any OCD I have heard. Its a good sound, but I am not a fan of mids heavy pedals (TS and the like) unless I need that for a specific sound - generally speaking, mids push is not my kinda sound. Having said that, if mids is your thing, the v1.3 is hard to beat and it pushes an amp nicely.

Side Note: The Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive tends to sound like a 1.3 OCD when pushed with humbuckers. Using single coils, it settles back into a fulldrive or thicker tube screamer type of sound - very Robin Trower sounding. The RTO is definitely its own circuit, but if you like a mids-flavored OCD and use humbuckers, it could get you there, but for about the same price as the 1.3 version of OCD. The only real benefit is being able to roll back volume into Fulldrive/TS sounds, where I think the OCD cleans up much more than the RTO.

v1.4 is next and while I like this version, I like two others more. This sounds a hair more compressed than my two favorites and for rhythm, chords, etc its great, but the notes don’t jump out for me like the other two. This also may have a bit more mids that my favorites but definitely less mids than the v1.3. This is probably the most widely available used version, next to the 1.7s, but make sure you get it with the circuit board that says 1.4 and not 1.7. The serials are roughly 16100 - 70000, roughly. v1.5s start around 70K, but not clear exactly where.

Side Note: v1.4 added a germanium diode to the circuit that 1.1-1.3 did not have (at least I don’t think it had them, but the goop makes it hard to know.) As far as I can tell, this diode came and went in v1.4 as its missing (jumper-ed) on the 1.6 boards (a 1.4 board, but hand marked 1.6 in the case.) The v1.7 boards do not have a place for this diode, presumably replaced by a trace on the board instead. This diode is why I personally think it is a tad more compressed than others, including my two favorites.

v1.6 is my second favorite - to me it sounds like a marshal amp about to explode, almost Van Halen’ish kinda sound. Notes jump and bounce as you hit them - probably my favorite of them all for leads, for that reason. Its has this bright edge to it that is not harsh like the 1.7s - I personally think he should have stopped here instead of doing 1.7 but what do I know. The v1.6 is built on v1.4 boards, with a jumper where the diode is supposed to be. Serials are roughly in the 80K range.

v1.2 is my favorite. Its not as bright as the 1.6 and notes do not jump quite as easily, but the way it pushes the amp is just awesome. It sounds closer to the 1.6 moreso than any other version, but its eq is a bit different. There is nothing harsh about this pedal and it just makes the amp “more" without adding as much of its own character to the sound as other OCDs seem to including the 1.6. It is probably the flattest EQ of all the OCDs that I have personally heard.

Side Note: The v1.2 board is similar to v1.3 but different than v1.4. I think major board/circuit changes happened for 1.4, 1.7, 2.0. In between, the tweaks seem to be minor and swapping of various values/parts.

Budget Alternatives:

Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion - Good MIAB pedal that gives the OCD a run for its money

Mooer Hustle Drive. I think the original version of this was based on the early OCDs, probably the 1.4.

Marshall GV-2 with Joe Simon Guvnor V1 Mod - the modded version of this pedal is killer. It has a 4-band eq that can be used to eq the pedal to sound like/close to any version of the OCD.

Joe Simon Mod:

It sounds exactly like a Marshall The Guv’nor v1 pedal when eq’d accordingly. This modded pedal surprised me the most, given how so-so GV2 sounds stock.

I hope my madness helps some poor soul who has chosen to travel that old OCD road….

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That’s quite the rabbit hole!

I’ve already lost enough years to fuzz...

JustABluesGuy and bluesholyman like this.
  3. bluesholyman

For whatever reason, I accept fuzz for what it is, and I am glad. This OCD thing about killed me.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

I'm interested in the OCD Ge. Is it brighter than the others?

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I think they should call that pedal “the lobotomiser”

That’s what happened to me while reading through the versions

I can’t imagine what it’s done to you...

I commend your passion

bluesholyman and NoTeleBob like this.
  6. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

The ocd got booted off of my board by a rat. I was trying to use it as a medium gain, somewhere between my od and my fuzz and maybe that was my problem. I just couldn't bond with it. I always felt like when I turned it on someone had thrown a blanket over my amp.

It has been relegated to my living room practice set up and it sounds great down there though. I actually gained a new appreciation for it.

jman72 likes this.
  7. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

You have a TL;DR for your TL;DR reference. That's really OCD.

8. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I had a 1.4 and didn't really care for it. At the time I was super satisfied with one OD - my Timmy. The Timmy still rules the board, but I have since allowed for other ODs to hang around. No OCDs though.

9. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Never owned one but not sure I know where to start ... :)

10. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I have CDO.

It’s the same as OCD, except it’s in alphabetical order.

THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh, thanks for that!

You know you're stuck at McDonalds reviewing hamburgers, right?

How about the rest of the hamburger family including the gray DOD250 with 072 chip (handy and useful), yellow OD250 with 351 chip (my vintage fave), RI OD250 (never triedone but cheap and supposed to be good), VLOD (up there) all the OCD revisions (OK with gain down), and both versions of the Oddfellow Cave man (my modern fave best of the best).

WRT MIAB?
    WTH?
    ROTFLMAO!
    OCD?

Lies&Distortion and tele-nova like this.
  12. bluesholyman

Are you saying I'm the Hamburgler?

telemnemonics and tele-nova like this.
  13. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

I love my dod 250 reissue. I was just looking at buying a second one to back up my current one and was surprised to see them on reverb for around $175-200. Couldn't find one on guitar centers website either

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

I wasn't sure but you just confirmed my suspicion!

bluesholyman likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

That's crazy?
    Chicago Stomp Works maybe?
    I wish the gray wasn't so hyped, I find the less popular yellow circuit sounds much better, has the cutting snarl rather than the more wooly warmth of the gray.
    I presume players who whine about cutting tone created that ideal of warmer being better?
    Rock guitar should be scary, not pretty!
    Well both but scary needs to be a component, and tone needs to be won not served on a platter.

The Cave Man has the best tone control that preserves all the cutting snarl while allowing some treble cut of boost for whatever ails the gear or the room.

The VLOD is really nice but they tamed the cut and it has more of a roar.
    Got two of those old ones, must be out of production but clones are available.

16. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

I have an OCD and I think it's pretty cool. Someday I might put it back on my board and kick off my TS variant. I like the OCD because when you turn it on after playing clean for a while, it really feels like a nice kick in the a%$# to your tone.

I have no idea what version it is, and whatever inclination I might have had to OCD-roll has been killed clean dead by your post, so thanks for that! :)

bluesholyman likes this.
  17. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I played with an OCD for a while.. I really loved it on it's own.. not stacked.. I really think its a great pedal when you have the gain up and running it on it's own..

18. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

You're for real.
    My favorite of your OCD list is the same as yours for humbuckers but I hands down prefer the Robin Trower version for single coils.

Was this post planned out ahead of time or did it just keep growing as you did your thing? What with the links and all ...... very well done.

19. mojek

mojek Tele-Meister

Was skeptic about OCD many years and some moths ago borrowed V1.4 and it sounded really good(Tele, Jag). Compared it with my all time favorite Crowther Hot Cake and it was sharper and more aggressive, but in conbo with tweed BJ very inspiring. If i don’t know how inspiring/sounding Crowther HC is, i would end up with OCD:)

bluesholyman likes this.
  20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Seek help! :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.