My NPD was a month ago. Today I actually used it

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mrboson, Mar 22, 2015.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Wifey got me a Soul Food back in February for my birthday. It was actually not at the top of my wish list, but still, it was a nice surprise.

I have to admit, I have struggled with using it on my board. It is a noisy beast, but I can live with that. Main problem is that I just couldn't get a tone out of it that I liked, but I went ahead and put it on the board anyway. I almost always use a Timmy always on, a Rat for my dirt, into a Blues Junior just on the edge of breakup and Master Volume on max. I use my guitar volume knob to vary between clean and filthy. The amp is loud at that setting, but the sound techs trust me to keep my volume under control. The Soul Food just messed all that up, so didn't really use it.

Well, Friday at a gig I was plugged into someone else's amp (a Roland Cube), and the Rat just sounded like crap. Could not get a decent sound anywhere, so ignored it and tried the Soul Food. For some reason, it sounded amazing. By the way, I hated that Cube. My friend gets great sounds out of it. I get a sterile solid-state sounding mess. I digress....

Well, based on Friday's experience with the Soul Food, I decided to bite the bullet and ride it today. I had to change the Timmy up to work with the SF, and the SF is mids heavy, so I had to tame the mids on the amp a bit. But once I had that, I had a lot of fun. Really, really liked what was coming out of the rig. Used the Rat today only once... when I wanted some really thick screaming leads, I had all three on... SF -> Rat -> Timmy. I loved that sound, but I decided to not over-use it... that will be a special occasion thing.

Anyway, sometimes it pays to dust off an orphan pedal and giver her another shot. Or maybe an amp that has fallen out of favor. Or maybe a combination of effects.

That's all.... just havin' fun today.

2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I've been experimenting with tube screamer types. I considered a Soul Food, the price is right! Read some great reviews on it. I ended up getting a new TS9 and used it for the first time in Praise and Worship today. I really enjoyed it and it did everything I need great. I also picked up a Visual Sound Route 808 for cheap but haven't had a chance to use in live in P & W yet. Others that I've tried is TS5 and VS Route 66. Platefire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.