1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My next OD/Distortion Pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by carbon ribs, Dec 31, 2012.

1. carbon ribs

carbon ribs Tele-Meister

I have a Barber 1/2 Gainer, which I love BTW, and a Biyang Mad Driver on my board right now. I use the mad driver as a very low gain boost after my 1/2 Gainer just to give it a bit more mids to cut through on lead lines and stuff.

I have come to find that I really love the 1/2 Gainer in the lower half of its gain range. IMO that is where it really shines! That being said I need something to handle some medium to higher gain sounds stacked with either of the other two pedals as well as on it's own.

I play direct to board through a Tech 21 Blonde using either my Squier CVC Tele or my new Gretsch ProJet with blacktop filtertrons:cool:

My initial thoughts are an OCD/Ultimate Drive/Hustle Drive or a Red Llama. I have about $130, but am hoping to stretch that farther than 1 pedal.

Any suggestions??

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Dano Cool Cat CO1 Overdrive to get you started.

Or get one of the older silver J&H's off ebay. They cannot be beat.

3. carbon ribs

carbon ribs Tele-Meister

Are the V1 Dano's better than the other OCD clones?

Our other guitar player has a newer red J&H and its ok but I have heard that the old ones are better

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"Are the V1 Dano's better than the other OCD clones?"

I can't speak for other OCD clones, or even for the OCD itself, but the V1 Dano CO1 is awesome.

Yeah one day the secret is gonna get out about those old J&H's and they will all be worth a fortune, inferior switch and all.

5. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

The Dano is a great OCD clone and works well. The Hustle Drive is a great one too. The Red Llama, in my opinion, is very finicky.

6. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Just bought a Bearfoot Model H and I love it. Stacked after my MI Audio Blues Boy it tears the house down!

7. carbon ribs

carbon ribs Tele-Meister

Anybody have any experience with the Barber Small Fry? Or the Direct Drive? I know how much I like my 1/2 Gainer, would either of these cover my needs?

8. groovie

groovie TDPRI Member

I used a direct drive for this at a new years eve gig. Nailed stuff like its my life and you shook me all night long. I play thru a 30 watt valve head, so may not feel the same - direct to board as you have mentioned.

9. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I have a Small Fry and it's very good for dirt however its a little too noisy on stage for my tastes. If that issue were resolved it would be one of my major dirt pedals.

10. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

It doesn't get a lot of love around here, but the Vox Ice 9 has been my favorite dirt pedal for some time now. I do a 'modern' country gig with it, Jason Aldean stuff, think '90s rock tones. I drive a solid state amp with it.

It has a modern and vintage setting, gobs of boost, treble and bass controls, and a 'more' button that works great for solos. Cleans up *real* well. Highly recommended. $120 at GC.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.