My next idea. Inspired by Fender's new Acoustisonic.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Moodivarius, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Decided to start a new post instead of continuing on with Clintstone's "Acoustisomthing".

After seeing videos of Fender's new Acoustisonic Telecaster debuted at NAMM 2019, it got me thinking of a new build. I found the guitar very interesting of the sounds it can produce.

Being a Telecaster hybrid, but I'm looking for some ideas on the blending of the acoustic pickup & magnetic pickup.

Clintstone from TDPRI, build has really got me thinking of building one now.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/acoustasomething.919029/

My ideas.

Highly chambered Birdseye maple body of about 2" thick, leaving the back thickness of about 3/8" thick after clambering.

1/4" Engleman Spruce top.

Fishman Powerblend external pedal with Hardtail Strat piezo bridge.
    Tele pickup mounted ahead of bridge & behind sound hole.

Thoughts.

schmee likes this.
  2. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

My first sketch. Pickups have been modified since.

image.jpeg

My recent chambering sketch.

image.jpeg

I'll route the outer shape, then chamber the middle areas while leavening a thickness of 3/8" for the back to resonate.
    I'm thinking about leaving 1 1/2" around the perimeter, a substantial amount for the neck pocket, then a bit under the bridge.
    Then glue the 1/4" spruce top onto the body.

Comments on this idea would be appreciated.
    Chamber less for strength?
    Add bracing under spruce top?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    rangercaster likes this.
  3. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

I picked a used Fishman Powerblend pedal & Fishman Strat Hardtail Piezo.

I'll install a magnetic pickup ahead of the bridge all into a volume pot & stereo Jack to go to the outboard Fishman Powerblend.

image.jpeg

4. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Started getting the wood preped yesterday.
    My Dad had a few lightly figured birdseye maple boards drying in the basement ceiling for many years. Darn, I guess I'll have to use that. Had to go with a double layer to get enough thickness.

image.jpeg

Put the second layer on today.

DarkshipDan likes this.
  5. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Second layer clamped & glued.

image.jpeg

Found a pic on the Internet. Hoping the chambering will turn out something like this.

image.jpeg

DarkshipDan likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I'll watch this. I've already chimed in on a couple of the acousta-something threads - I think you will make an interesting guitar and I'll be interested in what you come up with.

It will, however, be a long ways from being an acoustic guitar and a long ways from the new Fender (which is not an acoustic guitar)

7. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Really like the concept, can't wait to see the finished product.

8. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Freeman,

I realize it's far from an acoustic, but I'll try to get as much resonance out of the electric guitar with piezo & magnetic pickups. Should make some different sounds.
    Wonder if I should add Tele a neck pickup as well?

Here is the body rough cut on the bandsaw.

image.jpeg

9. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Interesting project! I'll be following this for sure.

I've built my own guitars and have thought about an Acoustisonic-like build. But the more I think about it, the more I feel you need to decide what you want from the sound. On the one side, you can go for a hollowbody electric sound using electric strings, pickups, and bridge, so perhaps something perfect for jazz and country. One the other hand, you can go for a more acoustic guitar sound, in which case you would have an acoustic bridge and strings (phosphor bronze, wound third) with perhaps a combination soundboard piezo and magnetic pickups. If the latter, I would tend to favor a larger body (2" thickness at least), all hollow with a spruce top and an A-style (ladder) bracing pattern. You could try to tune the top for enhanced bass, which is where I think a lot of the thinline guitars are lacking.

It now occurs to me that what I'm describing is the Guild Songbird...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

10. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

On my violin I built, it has a bass bar glued to the top on the underside. This allows the low frequencies from the bridge to resonate the top.

I was thinking about a scaled up bass bar for my hybrid build.

Not sure how it would work.

Here is the link to the page on my website about building the bass bar.

http://www.moodivarius.com/bass_bar.htm

I might try that on the underside of the top of the guitar. If anything, it'll be bracing.

Scott

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I assume you put a sound post in your violin also. The sound post is there to couple the treble side of the bridge to the back. The bass bar, as you said, is to help tune that side of the top. Mandolins and archtops have carved tops like your violin. They usually use two kinds of bracing - either a simple X or two sound bars slightly asymetrical with respect to each other. There is quite an art to tuning the sound bars (and top thickness) on mandolins - dates way back the the Lloyd Loar era.

Once again, the violin, mando and archtop are all acoustic instruments - they are designed to make sound by vibrating the top which pumps air in and out of sound holes..... you know the drill.

Oh, from what Fender says about the new thing, it apparently has two longitudinal braces - I assume that is length wise but they could also be some sort of ladder.

I'm not very knowledge about archtops and mandos - I've only built one of each

DSCN1477.JPG

IMG_1617-1.jpg

Not to digress too much but when I built the arch top the guy swore he would never plug it in and he didn't want a pickup hanging from the end of the neck like you often see. However he did agree to let me install the K&K piezo bridge pickup "just in case....."

Moodivarius likes this.
  12. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

It’s my opinion that to try and produce a more “acoustic” sounding instrument, you need as much air mass inside as possible. When I did mine (it’s still really just an ongoing experiment/project), I went for about 5/8ths (15mm) body outline - totally hollow except for a bridge block. My initial idea was for a hard tail bridge with acoustic strings, but that sucked.

I also went for a lot thinner top and back. The back is 4.5mm (3/16ths??), and the top just 3mm or 1/8th. There is no bracing as I felt the bridge block allowed enough interior strength.

Here is a pic of a mock up I was trying with an acoustic bridge set up. I’ll try and post a link later of the thread I started about it.

Btw - you can see that rather than any piezo type pup (I don’t really like them), I was planning on just using a wired in acoustic type pup.

4FC00838-B5F5-4374-82F6-5E4A39DAAA0C.jpeg

B5D89B47-D535-4EBD-9ED3-5F9A1435DC6C.jpeg

Attached Files:

Treadplatedual and Moodivarius like this.
  13. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Beautiful stuff Freeman.
    Roger on the vibrations of the acoustics. Studied all that before making the violin.

Cool stuff also Macrogats.

Mine is an experiment. We'll see how it's sounds when finished.
    Likely not what most would do, but different. May end up with something sounding different. ;) Or not.

My spruce top showed up in the mail today.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Treadplatedual likes this.
  14. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

A heretical notion: Much of the distinction between acoustic and electric sound is in the amp. Run an electric guitar into a truly flat, wide range amplifier, and it sounds a lot more acoustic. I’ve always found that high end soundhole magnetic pickups sound much more natural than any piezo.

As for combining magnetic and piezo, if you add a simple high impedance buffer right behind the piece, you can treat it like a magnetic pickup. Google “Tillman preamp” for a simple, easy to build design with one FET and very few additional parts. I’ve made a lot of them.

Macrogats likes this.
  15. Macrogats

I couldn't agree more. Obviously the one in my previous post is a cheapie, but the whole guitar is an experiment. Once I sorted exactly what I wanted, then I would opt for a better quality pup. I'm quite keen on some of the Seymour Duncan "Woody" style pups/

Mincer likes this.
  16. Macrogats

Ok - as earlier promised, here's a bit more info on the Telecoustic type thing I was/am building.

Incidentally, I've had discussions at great length with Freeman Keller on this whole type of project, and one thing I was missing on mine was the co relation of saddle and fb radius. Obviously with a hard tail bridge you can dial in exactly what you need to match you fb, but with a pre radiused saddle like I had, its not so simple.

I fished out a neck from another project today, and its certainly a lot flatter (as acoustics are) than the 9.5 inch Strat fb I had on my project, so I'm now gonna look at fitting that to see if its more suitable. So I will have to start doing some updates on the thread I'm about to link.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/telecoust-electric-build-and-other-previous-constructions.824948/

Hope that comes out.

17. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Routed the outer edge with template, then sanded.

image.jpeg

A slight belly cut, then chamber out the middle.

DarkshipDan likes this.
  18. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Belly cut & drew out for chambering.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Left 1" on outer edges. Just bridge block will be left In the middle.

Edges, too narrow or too wide?

Scott

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Found a YouTube video on Making of the Fender Acoustasonic Tele.

I captured a pic during the video of the frame.
    image.jpeg

Now I know how it is chambered.

20. Moodivarius

Moodivarius Tele-Meister

Working on it today.
    Decided I wanted maple on the outer edge instead of the spruce top running to the outer edge. Routed out the top to inlay the spruce top. Same as Fender has done.
    Used my purfling edge tool & X-Acto knife to cut along edge so the router wouldn't chip the wood out. I will inlay some violin purfling around the edge between the maple edge & spruce top.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Routed just slightly less than the spruce top I have to allow for a bit of sanding to flush the top with edges.

Now more chambering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.