1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My new tele: Squire partscaster (pic heavy).

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Axtklinge, May 11, 2009.

1. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

As some wise forum members have stated elsewhere, one of the main reasons why someone puts a partscaster together is to be able to build it acording to his need or will.

Following those words, I've decided to get my AV 52'RI a partscaster sister.
    The idea was to build a 'different' guitar so after a few brainstorms and some paper sketches I knew I realy wanted to fit a neck humbucker, and since I could actually choose the parts, the neck would be rosewood with a large headstock, just because I like the look of it.

As was on a budget, I got most of the stuff 2nd handed (via ebay and others), except for the pups.

So I started with a Tele STD Squire body and a Strat Affinity Squire neck (what a nice oportunity to try on the "does this neck fits in that body" theme!)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it did, fitting the body neck pocket very tightly.
    Unfortunatly I wasnt going to be able to use the original neck holes because they would leave a very big gap as seen in the pic below(neck and body with mounting screws on), so I had to drill new ones to adjust neck a bit closer.
    [​IMG]

2. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

To tell the truth, drilling new holes on the neck wasnt half as difficult as I thought it would be, it was just a matter of doing things with patience, and being carefull.
    I started by measuring how deep the original holes were (for future drilling reference), with a paper clip and and marked it on the clip with a piece of tape (I hope the drawn scheeme helps to understand).

After marking the drill bit with that same measure, I've drilled bigger holes in the place of the "old holes", and glued a piece of wood in each of these new holes.
    Let dry for a few hours and cut the extra wood.

In all these operations I've protected the fingerboard/neck with cloth around it and pieces of foam I had.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

To drill the new holes in the neck I had to mark the right place for them (by placing the neck in the neck pocket and using a pointy metal bit through the body holes till it marked the neck with a small "dot"), and then it was just to drill the marked "dots", this time with a smaller drill bit.
    To know how deep to drill I used the same paper clip as before, but marked the drill bit 5 or 6mm shorter so the drill bit wouldnt go too deep.

Another task I had to do was the 'routing of the body'.
    I dont have a router, and I wouldnt even try this IF I wouldnt have seen a post in this forum were the author used a normal drill bit to 'cut' the shape of the humbucker and then, with a chisel, took off the rest of the wood untill the HB fitted.
    Thats how I've done it, and even knowing it isnt perfect, it worked out ok I guess.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

Now for the pickguard:
    I know there are pickguards already cut for neck HB but, as I already had a 3-ply white tele pickguard I've decided to use it.
    After drawing the exact shape of the HB on it, I used a small modeling saw to cut it, working very slowly to avoid breaking or chiping it.
    Then with the help of a modeling pin vice (and with the HB in fitted its place), I drilled the holes for the pickup height screws.
    And thats it, I already had a place for the neck HB both in the body, and in the pickguard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Zmatko

Zmatko Tele-Meister

Bravo!

With chisels the pickup cavity goes in a minute.

6. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

The jack cup socket gave me a bit of a headache to get in place, but after some "attempt-error" I finaly got how it was suposed to stay.

As for the pups, I got a Wilkinson WVCN (to the neck) and an unbranded hot rail for the bridge.
    (Note: The wiring schemes were quite easy to find in the net, but the pickup sellers have sent me some too).

Some of the 2nd handed hardware I got (such as bridge, and saddles) were dirty or rusty (or both), but nothing too serious.

And here it is my Squire partscaster after all is in place, and with a nice setup.
    Hope you like it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Nice job on the pickup cavity, esp, like the way you improvised and did it and most of the other work by hand, overall very nice.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm impressed with the chisel work on that neck pu cavity, very neat results. People have no idea how hard it is to get results that good until they try it themselves. And if that's your first chisel project, it's just remarkable.

The finished guitar looks like a professional build. How do you like the sound?

9. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

I'll second RickyD's remarks on the chisel work - very nicely done! The finished result looks like a great player - how's it sound?

10. Diceman

Diceman Tele-Meister

Very nice work!

11. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

+1

and the finished product looks good!

12. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

Thank you for your comments!

It was indeed my first work of this sort, but to tell the truth my main concert was the drilling part, as I dont have a drill press, so I had to rely on my 'steady hand'.
    I'm very pleased on how it all worked out, specialy with the results.
    Lets face it, I knew from the start I could end up with a awfull sounding chunk of wood (or even worst if I damaged/broke the body) but I'd rather test all this in a partscaster than in my AV '52RI...

As for the sound, I still havent got the chance to try her with 'reasonable' ammounts of volume (and wont be able to untill the weekend at least), but both at low volumes and headphones, this is what I've noticed:
    - The bridge pup (unbranded hot rail) works very very nice with medium/high overdrive or distortion, with great 'palm mutes', and very defined notes where you can tell each one appart quite easyly even with serious ammounts of overdrive (thats what I was aiming for).
    On the other hand it doesnt seems to sound so good with clean sounds (too bright/'ringy'). Still I'll try to work on that with the tone knob somehow to see if it'll gets a little warmer.
    - About the neck Wilkinson I'm still undecided if I like it or not, just because it sounds so different from what I expected (not better nor worst, just plain different), and I might need a few days to check it properly.
    One nice surprise I had was the combination between both pups (middle position in the 3-way switch) as it sounded a lot warmer than the bridge alone.

Anyway, this still is very fresh news (I've only finished it yesterday) so I'll have to spend a lot more time with 'her' before I can have a more accurate opinion.

Thanks for reading!
    A.

13. jakesinclair

jakesinclair TDPRI Member

nice work!

14. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Great work and a great mix of parts to make it "your own". Thumbs up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.