My new ride! ( don't laugh)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Feb 19, 2020.

1. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A great go-cart. Drove a few.
    Congrats!

BobbyZ likes this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No, don't hit any deer. Or any snowbanks, or gummy bears.

These things get harmed up, cosmetically, with tremendous ease. They sell them as "urban cars" then the owners watch as mild contact with the bumpers of other cars (parallel parking) tears these things apart. But the car is for tight spaces. I don't know what's the answer to this.

I saw an original, 60s Mini on Sunday near Bryson City, NC and a single man barely fit into it. He pulled into a BP station as he couldn't seem to keep pace with the rest of us. And I was struck - it looked all of 40% of the size of this new "Mini".

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Ask Ryan Newman.

I'm not kidding. For the price of airbags which are an expensive band- aid fix for crappy lap and shoulder belts and one size fits all seats...

We should have a greenhouse that doubles as a roll cage. Saabs were built like that. Ever cut the roof off a Saab? I have. If you're going to go down the road upside- down, that's the car to have.

We should have five point harnesses and hard points where we can mount our custom seats.

I'd rather have a Recaro or a Corbeau seat with built in seat belt slots than any OEM seat I can think of. Or a Beard seat. Or a Mastercraft.

4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Minis are the funnest fwd cars I’ve ever driven.

They’re also considered gateway drugs to other BMWs but you were already there:lol:

RoyBGood, unixfish and BobbyZ like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

here we nave been at a balmy -3 at night to +7 during the day , time to bust out the cargo shorts.

BobbyZ and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  6. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I have an ‘04 Mini S model - 140k mikes. Had to replace a number of things but not too bad. Definitely lots of fun, like everyone else says, a street legal go cart! Probably should have gotten something more sensible, but oh well!

BobbyZ likes this.
  7. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I own a Panther Green 2003 Justa Cooper,
    I love it.

BobbyZ likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I can remember when they released the new minis, they were expensive, looked cool. From memory they have a nice interior too. I haven't driven one but I have driven 60's mini's and they were a hoot. Enjoy the new ride. Bonus cool points for the Italian job stripes .

Maybe you should get yourself a tweed or union jack driving cap and a scarf on a wire to wear while you are driving it?:cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    dkmw and BobbyZ like this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have 2 friends that drive Mini's and swear by them. Never ever heard them complain. Nice car. As for the LA story...wow.....:rolleyes:

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

Hey nice car!

BobbyZ likes this.
  11. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Strolled outa the Continental club in Austin a couple years ago after a show, and Redd is parked front and centre loading out his gear into a mini..gave me a humble thank you for my gushing review of the show then burned down South Congras in his micro bus .....and Im still grinnin

dkmw, Recce and dougstrum like this.
  12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I would love one of those

BobbyZ likes this.
  13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks guys !
    I live in pickup truck country, everybody drives the damned things. A few people even haul stuff with them once in a while. So if you drive a car here they look at you funny or feel sorry for you because obviously you can't afford a pickup.
    Anyway I've been taking a lot of ribbing for the thing. But it's actually fun to drive.

However this car tottaly sucks in snow! New tires would help but it's a short little thing that'll spin around real easy.
    The BMW is rear drive, with new Blizzaks. Even with the old Blizzaks it goes where you point it. My driveway is up hill the BMW goes up that hill I can stop on it and go up. The Mini? It's ok if it's cold but when the sun warms the packed snow it's a challenge. You don't take it slow in the Mini.
    On unplowed roads, which I get to drive on because I have plow them. The Mini sucks!
    I'll definitely have to get the BMW in to the shop. Exept the shops round here are all busy fixing pickup trucks.
    Maybe I'll dig up my code reader. . . .

dkmw and 24 track like this.
  14. Treehouse

Treehouse TDPRI Member

303D25DF-F641-4208-9B75-BB1982C14D83.jpeg Minis corner much better on three wheels!
    Before you try it, make sure to upgrade the nut behind the wheel.

tintag27, unixfish, suthol and 2 others like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I test drove the 2002s, I guess fairly soon after they came out.

I found the interior cheesy and cheap looking, and I thought maybe BMW would fix this later but I wasn't going to wait.

I was nervous also, because it seemed the parts were sourced from 21 or 22 different countries. That's too many.

So, I bought an S-2000 instead, where all the parts (I mean all of them) were sourced in Japan. Just an elegant car with everything fully integrated - as opposed to an agglomeration of stuff.

Now I know, totally different price bracket. But since I could afford the S-2000, I figured I might as well. And not a single person I know who bought a MINI when I bought my S-2000 still has their car.

MINI interiors never did get improved. The Clubman looks OK, but the Countryman is a visual abomination. Although, the FIAT thingie like it is no better.

Jerry J and BobbyZ like this.
  16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've thought about the S-2000 as well but I can't rap my brain around a Japanese sports car. Even though they build fantastic cars! Just that in my warped mind sports cars come from Europe. And maybe they do need constant attention under the hood but that's part of the fun. A Miata? No fun at all ! Those things will run for ever without opening the hood!
    Actually while I was driving my 69 Alfa Romeo Spider back in the early '80s I didn't really do anything with it. Plugs and oil change. Oh in cold weather you had to turn a thing on the Spica fuel injection pump. Did that on my way back from Texas in '85 and wondered why in the hell I was going back to Minnesota!
    I might trade this off on a Z3. Always wanted one anyway and I'm really a rag top guy at heart. I'm just stuck in a Minnestan's body.

17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I'm a big truck guy,

[​IMG]

but I can see how driving that little Mini would be a BLAST! Have fun, and congrats to you.

BobbyZ and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get a matching one and you can wear 'em like roller skates... :D

BobbyZ, dougstrum and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Could be worse... should shift on the small windy roads. Manual?

My wife has a bright yellow beetle.... The handbag with wheels.

If I have occasion to drive it, I try to wear a hat and scarf and not get seen by any neighbours or folk in the village. It’s like a Golf GTI underneath though... so I will admit it gets some sporting driving if I do have to move it somewhere.

SuprHtr, BobbyZ and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Back in the seventies in the UK I had a Minivan. The motor had seen its day so I visited a scrap car yard and bought a 2nd hand 1250 cc Cooper motor that only had a few K's on the clock and fitted it and the gearbox/transmission in my Minivan. It had twin SU Carbies and Was the fastest thing in our neck of the woods. I ended up giving it to my wife and she loved it.. S

BobbyZ and dkmw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.