1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My new project - the White Blonde Partsbincaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by stressdoubt, Mar 9, 2021.

1. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

Hi everyone

I’m trying to put something together that uses up all the decent spare bits I have hanging around in various drawers and boxes left over from previous upgrades and partscaster builds. My previous partscaster builds have been aged to match the state of the neck I had sourced but this neck is brand new and shiny so I am aiming for a nice pristine build this time around.

I managed to get a nice swamp ash Hosco body off eBay with a nitro satin white blonde finish and I am going to pair it up with a brand new Classic 60s pau ferro neck. I bought a black Bakelite pickguard, nickel knobs, 50s style string tee, control plate, electrosocket and strap pins from Axecaster and dug out a Fender vintage bridge with Gotoh brass saddles and some Gotoh vintage tuners from a dusty old box.

Not sure what pickups to put in there yet. I have a set of Classic Vibes (a 60s neck and a 50s bridge) and a set of Fender Japan 50s Classics which came out of the MIJ Tele in my avatar. I am torn between a four-way or even a five-way loom but that’s something for further down the line right now.

The neck has quite a tan coloured pau ferro fretboard so I am ping to experiment with putting some Monty’s Relic Wax on there to see how dark I can get it.

Anyway I hope you like my plan - I’m certainly looking forward to putting it all together!

Cheers
    J E79A27F9-D642-4340-8FB4-983D9375994D.jpeg A620E955-60BC-471F-A4E4-BEE190F4208D.jpeg AF08F805-A788-4DCD-98F1-C5B7143FBF32.jpeg 29D7D59E-3605-49B7-9891-0BE9C73FA0D2.jpeg

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

Old Deaf Roadie and stressdoubt like this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Lovely ash grain pattern.

based on what I’ve seen elsewhere Montys aging wax won’t darken that board enough to make a big change. It’d need leather dye I’d say.

stressdoubt likes this.
  4. rze99

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

That's going to be a gorgeous build. Love that white blonde body. And that neck...I wouldn't change a thing. It's a beautiful color and I love that flowing stripe running down it.

For pickups, I would go with the 60s neck and 50s bridge with a 4-way switch. Can't wait to see your progress!

stressdoubt likes this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I wish I had as many parts lying around lol. Nice work by the way. BTW, my parts are of the smaller variety, screws, pick guards, bridges and tuners.

stressdoubt likes this.
  7. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This. The lighter, more figured fretboard works beautifully with the blonde body. I actually love the look of the newer MIM models precisely because of the "stripier" pau ferro.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very nice!

stressdoubt likes this.
  9. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

That’s a splendid finish

stressdoubt likes this.
  10. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

This guy uses one of those minwax pens. I have never done this so I do not know how well it works.

11. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

That is a fine grouping of spare parts there!

stressdoubt likes this.
  12. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

Thanks for the link man - very interesting thread that - it’s given me a great deal of food for thought.

Is that dye and oil technique what you used on the neck I traded the 60s Baja neck for? If so then it’s an impressive result - I am not sure I have the patience or the steady hand to apply it to successfully!

13. rze99

yes it is indeed

stressdoubt likes this.
  14. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

Normally my parts bin is pretty mundane - bits of this and that - the usual stuff! The neck was an eBay purchase for a previous partscaster project but didn’t get used in the end and I have been too lazy to put it back up on eBay!

Old Plank and Fendereedo like this.
  15. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

Nice project, my project was a Hosco body, but I got it from Axecaster already finished by SC Relics. I'd have preferred one a bit less aged and discoloured, like yours but nothing was available at the time.

FWIW I used some of the Monty's wax on a Pau Ferro 'board on my Jaguar project. To be fair it was already a darker than usual board for a PF, but was extremely rough when I bought the guitar (brand new). There was almost zero stock at that time, so I bought it anyway and filed/polished the frets and fret ends and sanded the PF to smooth it. Rolled the fingerboard edges too.

It was getting there in terms of feel and I figured it just needed to be played in a bit more, but after I saw Montys get mentioned on an Andertons video late at night after a few drinks, I just ordered it. It has slightly darkened my Jaguar fingerboard and the bright white dots too (which I like as I was considering replacing them with repro 'clay' ones).

What I do like about it is how it feels after 3-4 treatments: Now it feels like a nicely worn in guitar. Maybe I could have got this feel just using regular furniture wax, but I didn't have any and this stuff has darkened it a bit anyway. I used it on the baked Maple 'board on my 60s Tribute Les Paul and that has had the same result; feels lovely and smooth (it's already well worn in, but I like the feel it has now). I'm going to treat my SG and Epiphone LP that both have Rosewood 'boards next time I restring them.

This was when I got it:

Jag Floor 1.jpg

After quite a few mods and 3-4 treatments of Monty's wax:
    Jag 5.jpg

stressdoubt likes this.
  16. chucker

chucker TDPRI Member

that body is so beautiful it makes me weak to look at it. something to be said for simple finishing approach.

stressdoubt likes this.
  17. stressdoubt

stressdoubt TDPRI Member

That looks great!

I have a 60s alder body from SC Relics finished in blonde from my last project - I really love the work Scott does

Attached Files:

KelvinS1965 and rze99 like this.
  18. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Damn! That body is drop dead gorgeous. Good on you, man. Sweet.

stressdoubt likes this.
  19. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Adore the grains in wood ;)

stressdoubt likes this.
  20. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I love the white wash finish. Who did the finish on that body?

stressdoubt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.