My new (ish) ST-54 DMC stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by collinsml, Sep 22, 2014.

1. collinsml

collinsml NEW MEMBER!

Hi all,

I am a long time reader, first time poster though. I have three Teles, BTW: a Baja, '69 and a '72.

I wanted to share a recent acquisition. Here are pics of my new guitar, which I picked up at a Guitar Center in Seattle recently.

Based on information from the internet, and email dialogue with Ishibashi, it's a 2006 to 2008 ST-54 DMC strat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck is stamped ST-54 DMC, which seems to indicate it is part of the DiMarzio Collection, but there are no names on pickup covers. I do not think the pickups are original, unless the previous owner changed the covers. Middle pickup seems to be reverse wound, as there isn't any hum in positions 2 & 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatever the pickups are, they sound pretty good. They have cloth-covered wires, etc. I wrote DiMarzio and they couldn't confirm they were theirs either.

[​IMG]

Also of note is a stamp of the number '10' in the neck pickup route. Other DMC guitars I have been able to find online have "DMC" stamped in the same place, so I don't know what this means...

[​IMG]

It has a great playing, hard v-neck; I like it a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have any info to contribute, I welcome it! Especially anything about the number stamped in the body...

Thx!

Mike

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Mike

Reminds me of my 1997 CIJ 54 RI. I don't think the 2006 to 2008 is correct. I see your neck has the "CIJ". According to my research on my own ax, the CIJ was between the years 1997-2004. The pickups were vintage fender type with low Ohm resistance: neck=5.88K, Mid=5.80K & bridge 6.12K. Usually on the 54 RI the pickup covers and knobs were aged yellow. What is your serial number---I can't make it out? If the sn starts with A=1997-1998, B=1998-1999, O+6 digits=1997-2000, P=1999-2002 & Q=2002-2004. Anyway---nice looking strat!

I never liked the aged pickup covers or knobs. Also wasn't crazy about the vintage wound PU's either. I ended up purchasing the Pickguard/electronics complete of a American Special strat (Texas Specials) to install in mine. The American Special pickguard wouldn't work so I installed the electronics in my 54 RI pickguard and it worked fine. I also set up the tremolo to be floating. The thing plays like a dream. Platefire

Attached Files:

3. collinsml

collinsml NEW MEMBER!

Hi Platefire, thanks for the response!

My SN is S040324. I am still getting used to it, but I like the way it sounds pretty good as is, but being the tinkerer I am, I may change things up one of these days. I have a spare set of Fralin Blues Specials from another guitar, so I may put them in there sometime to just compare and contrast.

My main amps are a G-DEC 3 Thirty, a '79 Silverface Deluxe Reverb, a '61 tweed Gibson Falcon (GA-19RVT) and a red stripe Peavey Bandit...

4. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Mike

My 54 RI is my top dog strat. Don't need an American Standard to feel like I have got a real strat. I've owned American Strats before and know my CIJ is very good quality. I do believe the quality of American built is generally un-surpassed but I bought this from my Son, so that makes it kind of special to me. I love the fat V shaped neck. I'm pretty happy with the Texas Specials but the original pickups did have more of a vintage "Sultons of Swing" type sound that I kind of miss from time to time. Also after many years of foolen with strats, I've finally got to where I can set up a floating tremolo properly--so I like it better floating than blocked.
    I think you might be right on your dating. I thought they had discontinued "CIJ" after 2004 but apparently they didn't.

Regarding amps, I started building tube amps in 2000 and have a whole host of different tube amps but have to say a Fender Deluxe is hard to beat IMHO. I have a Lunchbox type hand wired 5E3 circuit head for sale on e-bay at this moment. If you want to see it, just do a e-bay search on "Scott 5E3 T-Deluxe Head". Platefire

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.