My New Hobby

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
I have been starting a collection of cheap, small, old solid state amps. My latest acquision is a 63 Regal to go with my 75 Univox:

VvBVy46.jpg

5L3lYCN.jpg

q7aOB4F.jpg

3rZrjNU.jpg

HWd1tXA.jpg

oNr2rcB.jpg

31c8dwD.jpg

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Cool! How’s that univox? I’ve thought about getting one just for the awesome look

There’s a member here that has a photo of himself with a les Paul custom and one of those back in the 80’s (can’t remember which member)

But, it’s stuck with me since then

Kind of weird that the regal says “made in USA” in an era when most stuff was

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
If you want the best starting examples of solid state 6 string electric guitar amplification look for pre '74 Acoustic Control Corp amplifiers. They truly were the first to bubble up out of the new solid state amp revolution of the late '60s to early '70s. Listen to any of Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush's work from the '70s and that's the amp company Frank's using. Most of the guitar work for The Doors was also played through Acoustic Control Corp amps. I worked for Hamilton Music in St. Louis County, MO in the early '70s and these were not only my favorite solid state amps we sold but also sounded better than many tube amp brands like Ampeg and early '70s Fender. For British tone Marshall still ruled but for Pre Mesa Boogie American tone Acoustic Control Corps solid state designs knocked it out of the ballpark.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
Cool! How’s that univox? I’ve thought about getting one just for the awesome look

There’s a member here that has a photo of himself with a les Paul custom and one of those back in the 80’s (can’t remember which member)

But, it’s stuck with me since then

Kind of weird that the regal says “made in USA” in an era when most stuff was

I love my Univox! Although the reverb and tremolo doesn't work 100%, I think it adds to the cool factor!

suthol

Friend of Leo's
I've still got my H||H IC-100S from the mid 1970s.

Clean as up to ear bleed levels.

Good enough for Marc Bolan back in the T Rex days so good enough for me.

Probably sell it because even if I do one more gig I'm never going to need that much grunt again

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I like the old checkmates and Kalamazoos too.
I have a Kustom 100

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Good enough for Fogerty at Woodstock.

Attachments

• 10D3BE4B-6554-47EB-9B8A-28436AF322C0.jpeg
    10D3BE4B-6554-47EB-9B8A-28436AF322C0.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 7

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Nice collection and cool looking amps. I am curious how they sound? I’ve been tempted in trying other older SS amps when I spot them for cheap.

My only SS amp is an ‘80’s Marshall Lead-12. It seems that these little SS Marshall’s now have almost a cult following. At one time you could pick up a used Lead-12 for $50-$60 but now people are asking crazy money online.

Mine sounded pretty good as-is stock, but I added a Greenback speaker and now even better, especially a louder volumes. Definitely a good little practice amp and mine has some sentimental value, since my wife bought it for me after I commented on it, while in my favorite music store.

3A60FBB9-04C0-4AF0-B81D-AE0FF787FF60.jpeg