My New Guitar (Not Tele)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Feb 9, 2010.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I was always intruigued by the Ampeg Dan Armstrong but never had any interest in a plexi body. When Ampeg designed the AMG100 (basically a Dan armstrong using wood) I thought about it and finally took the plunge last week. These guitars are not easy to find, but I found the one I wanted (mahogany body). It arrived last Friday. Very cool guitar, well made and plays great. Obviously very different from a telecaster and takes a little getting used to but a very cool tone. Very light too.

At the same time I called Kent Armstrong and spoke to him for quite a while about the pickups from the original guitars. He hand winds them all to the exact specs. He was kind enough to send me a box of pickups to test out and play with, so last weekend was quite fun at band rehearsal. Surprisingly, I liked a P90 the best which was never offered with the original guitar. Kent said that he can put any pickup in the box and sent me the P90 to see what I thought. So I bought it. Almost gives it an LP Jr tone. I may get another pickup at some point in the future.

Here are two pics (not my pics).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne

2. Jahmbie

Jahmbie Tele-Afflicted

Man, that is giving me some serious GAS!!!!

That's really cool about Kent Armstrong letting you test out those pups. He learned everything he knows about pickups from Bill Lawrence. I'd like to hear a clip with that P-90.

The original Dan Armstrong plexi guitars sound awesome, but they're real "chiropractor specials" due to the weight.

3. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I will try to get a few clips together at some point. The P90 really sounds great. I want to try the rock treble and sustain treble at some point, the others I tried were the country bass and jazz treble. Each pickup completely changes the tone of the guitar. That is what I really like about it. The humbucker that it came with is quite nice as well. It's not high output, a little more than moderate.

Wayne

4. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

That looks pretty cool.
    I remember checking out a couple of the plexi bodies years ago & hating the weight. I was looking for something lighter than my LP. And that wasn't it.
    But I was drawn to it in the first place because it was my favorite color: clear.
    Now this one looks like a feather. And I'll bet that P 90 kicks butt.

5. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I think the whole thing is about 7 pounds. Really light.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.