As a massive gear nerd, this one has been a long time in the making. I’ve wanted to put together a small(ish) pedalboard for ages, but I flat out refuse to spend AU$150 on a pedaltrain of the size I need. So... (drum roll please) I built my own! I started with a very rough paper plan (there was also a side view on a different sheet of paper but it appears to have vanished off the face of the earth). From there, I had to decide on what materials I wanted to use. I've got a whole lot of leftover wood from various family projects, so for the sides, I ended up using some old decking boards (They're a really nice dark wood - could be jarrah, but I'm not 100% sure). For the slats, I've used some beams from a set of drawers that came out of a high school science lab during a renovation. Sadly I forgot to take any photos before I started working on the wood, so the next shot you get is of all the bits after they've been cut and sanded. To get here, the slats were cut to length, the crappy finish on them was sanded off, the old nail holes were filled, and then they were sanded again. The side pieces presented a bit more of a challenge as one of the cuts had to be made across the grain. After much deliberation with various cutting jigs, I ended up taking the easy route - first cutting them roughly with a jigsaw and then straightening everything out with the disc sander. From there, the only thing left to do was to countersink the outside ends of the pilot holes on the sides, so that when I screwed it all together the heads of the screws would sit flush against the wood (once again, I completely forgot to take a picture, so I guess you can just use your imagination?) The last construction step was to apply a bit of PVA glue to the ends of the slats, then screw it all together, which left it looking like this: Next came a heap more sanding, followed by one (awful) finish attempt, followed by lots more furious sanding, and then, believe it or not, a second, more successful finish attempt. Hot tip: when applying a finish with a brush, actually think about how the hell you're going to apply it, particularly when it's a 43ºC day. Alternatively, do what I did and just use a spray can finish for the second attempt. After the finish was... finished (forgive the absolutely terrible pun), all your normal pedalboard assembly steps apply. Of course the velcro I wanted to get was 50mm wide, and the slats were 42mm, so I ended up going with the 25mm velcro and trimming off the little strips on the sides, which meant I could use two strips on each slat. It was a heap of effort, but actually worked surprisingly well! Then came all the pedals. I'm still waiting on the MXR mini iso-brick that I ordered (I've been told it's backordered and won't be in for at least another month or two), so in the meantime I'm using a daisy chain combined with my Truetone 1 Spot 9V power supply. Unfortunately the daisy chain isn't quite long enough to get to all the pedals in the order I want them, so I've had to chuck the tuner after my drives so that everything gets power. So, without further ado... I'll post more photos once the power supply shows up (and I'm able to tidy everything up a bit), but for now, I'm really happy with what I've ended up with. I spent a total of $15 on the entire project, for velcro and screws - everything else I had lying around at home. Even if I'd bought all the materials, it wouldn't have come close to the cost of a new pedaltrain, and it's definitely sturdy enough to gig with. So for anybody thinking about buying a new board - think about DIYing it. If I can do this with only some high school woodwork skills, practically anybody, with the right tools, should be able to.