1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My new anti GAS motto: Power Through!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rooboo, Oct 19, 2017.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

I didn't like how my Tonerider neck pickup sounded compared to my newly installed SD Jerry Donahue. The difference was to large. It sounded like to different guitars, not to different pickups in the same guitar. But I could not decide what pickup I should replace the Tonerider with. In order to get my head around this I've played my neck pickup extensively the last couple of weeks. And that made me totally change my mind. I absolutely love the Tonerider Alnico 2 Blues Neck. Awesome pickup! All I needed was to get acustom to it, and how it behaves compared to the new Duncan bridge.

This got me thinking about the beauty in powering through. If you don't like a pickup, a stompbox, an amp or whatever… just try to power through for a few months before swaping. Maybe the biggest problem is you and your ears, sometimes. I don't know if it's my ears or my playingstyle that has changed but now I can really get super sounds from my Tonerider – that was not the case two months ago.

My new anti GAS motto: Power Through!

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I like GAS and have no intention of removing it.

But yeah .. It always takes a while to get used to new gear, so you have to factor that in.

With regards to your tonerider. Sound is one thing, but if volume is vastly less than the SD then I'd ditch one of the pups no matter how good they individually sounded.

rooboo likes this.
  3. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I keep my utility and Charter bills here on my desk. Helps curb the GAS a bit...

RadioFM74 and rooboo like this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

That's pretty good. Mine is "just wait".

Dr Improbable likes this.
  5. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Well volume was the main concern. I liked the pickup but it was in another range than the Duncan. But now that I've really played it a lot I have gone from like to love. Fantastic little pickup!

Lobomov likes this.
  6. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

GAS seems to be ,occasionally similar to the quest for the holy grail.
    Ignore the voices sweetly singing, It's the Sirens sweetly signing luring one a terrible fate.

7. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

It depends if you think getting something you want is a bad thing

Would you go to a buffet that you paid for, and not eat the things you want to?

What will you say when the lights get turned off, and in the darkness you know that you earned the money to eat, yet did not eat what you desired?

Not here forever. I generally buy used at a price that makes a profit on sale. I don't know anyone else with a hobby like that, but I do know people who spend 5 figures on car depreciation/interest payments/alcohol and tobacco

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.