My new, 2022, Indian motorcycle!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's 'Old School' British styling is straight out of the mid-60's, often very pretty, but also utilitarian by most modern measures. It's what also could be referred to as a 'standard', which is what bikes such as these are now classified as in a many sub-divided market of sportbikes, sport tourers, adventure tourers, heavy tourers, cruisers, power cruisers, and on and on...

Before motorcycles became so specifically specialized, as they are now, with few exceptions, almost everything was a direct derivative of a 'standard' machine, tourers, road racers, desert racers, etc.

This Royal Enfield 650 is about as much of a 'back to the basics' street bike as one can find these days, no engine 'power modes' or other extraneous electronic bullcrap to insert itself between the rider, engine, wheels, and road surface. It does, of course, have ABS braking, and that's ok, it's mandated as standard on almost all production motorcycles world-wide these days anyway.

The Royal Enfield 650 has a relatively low hp, 270 degree engine rated at a conservative 47 hp, uses a six-speed transmission and can probably do around 100 mph if you insist, but they're much happier running out there on the curvy, hilly backroads at about 50-75% effort.
Thanks much for reply and info. Just like the other bike you recently got - it has an old style I'm attracted to...

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Nice!!

It invoked a memory from my past of an old Hodaka that I haven't thought about in at least 2 decades.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
Looking forward to your review. I know the early runs of those Indian Royals had some issues, hopefully they're making a solid product now, because it's so cool!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I'll order the factory black and chrome fuel tank for it in a couple weeks. This is the tank I wanted for it from the first, but that model is hard to come by, so I bought the orange model and figured I would just order the chrome tank off of eBay, where a number of them are available from India for a very reasonable sub-four hundred dollar price.
I would then have the option of selling the orange tank to defray the extra cost of the new tank.

It will also get the black rubber kneepads applied to the tank for a super-cool retro look.

View attachment 945120

View attachment 945121
I like the orange. I’m not a big fan of chrome. Either way, black knee pads would be cool.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
No, NOT, a Polaris Indian motorcycle...we're talking about a REAL Indian motorcycle here, like, from India.
I don't know about bikes, but this "other" Indian kinda looks like you...

Maybe not the sidecar. If you get divorced, that is.

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 07.32.29 PM.png

pixeljammer

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
Congrats, cool bike!
A guy I know in Boulder does (did?) biodiesel conversions on these bikes. Just in case you want to smell like delicious fries as you roll sedately down the road!

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Very nice. I like the orange but the chrome is cool too. I like the classic look of the chrome.

It was -9 this morning. Probably won’t be going for a putt for at least a couple of weeks.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thanks much for reply and info. Just like the other bike you recently got - it has an old style I'm attracted to...

I will admit to being very attracted to these kinds of bikes, but there are times when I have a strong desire to shake off some of this retro-aesthetic addiction and go buy something thoroughly modern in appearance, and afflicted with hyper acceleration and speed....then I see something that looks like it was dragged out of the middle of the last century and go...."Ooooooo! lookit the pretty colors", and I'm a goner. Again.