My new, 2022, Indian motorcycle!

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
No, NOT, a Polaris Indian motorcycle...we're talking about a REAL Indian motorcycle here, like, from India.

It's a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.

If I'm not served divorce papers before then, I'll be driving to Marne, Iowa next week (or so) to pick it up and haul it back here (Rapid City area).

Screenshot_20220127-100501~3.png

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
No, NOT, a Polaris Indian motorcycle...we're talking about a REAL Indian motorcycle here, like, from India.

If I'm not served divorce papers before then, I'll be driving to Marne, Iowa next week (or so) to pick it up and haul it back here (Rapid City area).

View attachment 945103
you have all the best toys

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

View attachment 945103
Once again, this is the guy who knows nothing about motorcycles ( or muscle cars), but loves to look at them!

Is this bike a retro/older looking design? It looks kind of '60's-'70's, and I'm not even sure what makes me think that ( exhaust pipe? Seat? Front shocks/fender?)
But I think it's beautiful!

runstendt

Tele-Holic
That's such a great looking bike. I've been kicking myself for passing up a great deal on a Classic 500 from a few years back. Royal Enfield make such cool looking bikes. Enjoy it.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity

View attachment 945103
That's exactly what I was expecting. Enjoy it in good health and with safety!

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'll order the factory black and chrome fuel tank for it in a couple weeks. This is the tank I wanted for it from the first, but that model is hard to come by, so I bought the orange model and figured I would just order the chrome tank off of eBay, where a number of them are available from India for a very reasonable sub-four hundred dollar price.
I would then have the option of selling the orange tank to defray the extra cost of the new tank.

It will also get the black rubber kneepads applied to the tank for a super-cool retro look.

Screenshot_20220127-153405~3.png

Screenshot_20220127-153640~3.png

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Looks like it is straight out of the early 70's, I love it.

Once again, this is the guy who knows nothing about motorcycles ( or muscle cars), but loves to look at them!

Is this bike a retro/older looking design? It looks kind of '60's-'70's, and I'm not even sure what makes me think that ( exhaust pipe? Seat? Front shocks/fender?)
But I think it's beautiful!

It's 'Old School' British styling is straight out of the mid-60's, often very pretty, but also utilitarian by most modern measures. It's what also could be referred to as a 'standard', which is what bikes such as these are now classified as in a many sub-divided market of sportbikes, sport tourers, adventure tourers, heavy tourers, cruisers, power cruisers, and on and on...

Before motorcycles became so specifically specialized, as they are now, with few exceptions, almost everything was a direct derivative of a 'standard' machine, tourers, road racers, desert racers, etc.

This Royal Enfield 650 is about as much of a 'back to the basics' street bike as one can find these days, no engine 'power modes' or other extraneous electronic bullcrap to insert itself between the rider, engine, wheels, and road surface. It does, of course, have ABS braking, and that's ok, it's mandated as standard on almost all production motorcycles world-wide these days anyway.

The Royal Enfield 650 has a relatively low hp, 270 degree engine rated at a conservative 47 hp, uses a six-speed transmission and can probably do around 100 mph if you insist, but they're much happier running out there on the curvy, hilly backroads at about 50-75% effort.

smoothrecluse

Tele-Afflicted
Everything I’ve seen about Royal Enfield suggests that they’ve really modernized their production techniques and increased their build quality and reliability. FortNine’s video from a while back shows that they have one of the cleanest production facilities of any major manufacturer. I have a dealer a couple miles from my house. Let us know what you think of it when you get a chance to put it through its paces!