My NAD Experience - Marshall Valvestate 2000 Combo

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Nice amp and at a good price. Glad when things workout for people. Congratulations!

Last edited:

corrado15

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Hmmm....I had one of these as my main practice amp for around 20 years (I'm a drummer and just dabbled in guitars occasionally until Covid). Brought it with me from Ireland to the US 17 years ago and switched the transformer from a 240v to 110v input. Traded it to GC about 6 months ago, though that was in NC rather than TX. It was in excellent shape though, having never been out of my music room(s) in those 20 years...

Davy

stevemc

Tele-Afflicted
i have a valvestate from '94. no tubes but i love the tone. would love to have one of the heads.congrats op!

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Cool! I have an AVT150 (it’s my dad’s, I’m storing it at my place). And the first ever amp I purchased for a band was an older Valvestate, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Biggest issue is the speaker. I think the ones that come stock aren’t the best. Couple times I’ve run it through Vintage 30s and it was a huge improvement.

But yeah, those amps can sound good, I especially had good success in cranking the gain on the clean channel and using boosts with that. Much more open and less compressed that way.

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Cool! I have an AVT150 (it’s my dad’s, I’m storing it at my place). And the first ever amp I purchased for a band was an older Valvestate, so I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Biggest issue is the speaker. I think the ones that come stock aren’t the best. Couple times I’ve run it through Vintage 30s and it was a huge improvement.

But yeah, those amps can sound good, I especially had good success in cranking the gain on the clean channel and using boosts with that. Much more open and less compressed that way.
Interesting you mention the speaker. I have read that in reviews many times. But I actually thought the stock Celestion sounded pretty good! But being the "tweaker" I am, I upgraded to a WGS Invader 50 4 ohm speaker. I'm very happy with the results, and you can read more about it in this thread.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/wgs-invader-50-anybody-try-it-updated.778061/#post-11206831

markal

Tele-Afflicted
Here you go!

In the first, I took it with a grain of salt since Johan could plug into a toaster and make it sound good.

This guy plays thru some different styles, both clean and dirty. Playing starts at about 5 minutes in.

These demos sound pretty good. Looks like you’re happy with it. So it does the Marshall thing pretty well? I see them for around $200 occasionally and I’m tempted.

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
I played all the Vlavestates over the years.

The 8080's are great amps
The next VS series are also fantastic - I currently Have a 1x12 VS100R - As Marshall as you want it. Gigged it for a while.
As for the 2000's they were hit or miss IMO. However - the 20 was definitely a great little practice amp. Did not like the mega-one with 4 channels and effects at all.

Now - the 50, however, was a fantastic amp. Both the combo and the head! Wouldn't mind having either of those.