My NAD Experience - Marshall Valvestate 2000 Combo

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
A week ago I decided to take a chance on buying online from a GC south of Houston and having it shipped to my house. I had been reading reviews on this forum and others that were favorable for the hybrid Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT50 combo, and a few of the YouTube videos that were of high quality indicated the clean and lead channels were of good quality to my ears and taste. The amp was listed at $149, had only one low resolution photo from the front showing the amp and included foot switch, and had the condition stated as "Good."

From what I could see in the photo, my hunch was it was likely better than good condition. Knowing I could return it to my local GC, I ordered it. With shipping and tax, I was all in at about $180. As a side note, I was amazed how reasonable the shipping was on a 40 lb amp!

I ordered on Friday, Jan 14, and it was delivered by UPS on Tuesday, Jan 18. Packaging was very good...in a Tama drum box with LOTS of bubble wrap. My hunch was right on the condition. It was very dusty, but as you can see in my photos, after cleaning it up, I would categorize it in excellent condition.

Now on to the important stuff...does it work and how does it sound? Yes and quite good is the simple response!

Everything worked on the amp. A few pots were a little scratchy, but I treated all with some Deoxit and they now work perfectly. Speaker works great, as well as the Accutronics spring reverb. About 20 years ago I had an AVT150 head for a short time, and had a positive experience with it, but traded it off towards another all-tube amp. So I had good hopes for the sound. But the whole package of the AVT50 combo surprised me...much better than I remember the head being. The cleans are really good, and the lead channel gets a nice Marshall crunch. Does it rival the better all-tube Marshalls? No on the crunch...but close. The cleans? Better than the Origin 20 combo I had, and very, very close to my Silver Jubilee 20 combo I have.

The only negative I had was that the edge of breakup sound I was dialing in on either channel sounded slightly "farty" to me. Crunch and distortion with and without pedals was good. I had already started looking at a potential speaker swap, but wanted to try a pre-amp tube swap first.

I did the tube swap this morning, replacing the Marshall labeled tube (likely the original 20 year old factory installed) with a JJ ECC83. And I am shocked at the good difference! Most noticeably the edge of breakup sounds are now what my ears want to hear. I tried it with single coil and HB guitars, all sounding really good with a few tweaks on the EQs. No plan to change speakers at this point!

tempImagecz7lIS.png

tempImageTPGp2b.png

tempImageXgdPk1.png

tempImageBzBb0e.png

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A week ago I decided to take a chance on buying online from a GC south of Houston and having it shipped to my house. I had been reading reviews on this forum and others that were favorable for the hybrid Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT50 combo, and a few of the YouTube videos that were of high quality indicated the clean and lead channels were of good quality to my ears and taste. The amp was listed at $149, had only one low resolution photo from the front showing the amp and included foot switch, and had the condition stated as "Good."

From what I could see in the photo, my hunch was it was likely better than good condition. Knowing I could return it to my local GC, I ordered it. With shipping and tax, I was all in at about $180. As a side note, I was amazed how reasonable the shipping was on a 40 lb amp!

I ordered on Friday, Jan 14, and it was delivered by UPS on Tuesday, Jan 18. Packaging was very good...in a Tama drum box with LOTS of bubble wrap. My hunch was right on the condition. It was very dusty, but as you can see in my photos, after cleaning it up, I would categorize it in excellent condition.

Now on to the important stuff...does it work and how does it sound? Yes and quite good is the simple response!

Everything worked on the amp. A few pots were a little scratchy, but I treated all with some Deoxit and they now work perfectly. Speaker works great, as well as the Accutronics spring reverb. About 20 years ago I had an AVT150 head for a short time, and had a positive experience with it, but traded it off towards another all-tube amp. So I had good hopes for the sound. But the whole package of the AVT50 combo surprised me...much better than I remember the head being. The cleans are really good, and the lead channel gets a nice Marshall crunch. Does it rival the better all-tube Marshalls? No on the crunch...but close. The cleans? Better than the Origin 20 combo I had, and very, very close to my Silver Jubilee 20 combo I have.

The only negative I had was that the edge of breakup sound I was dialing in on either channel sounded slightly "farty" to me. Crunch and distortion with and without pedals was good. I had already started looking at a potential speaker swap, but wanted to try a pre-amp tube swap first.

I did the tube swap this morning, replacing the Marshall labeled tube (likely the original 20 year old factory installed) with a JJ ECC83. And I am shocked at the good difference! Most noticeably the edge of breakup sounds are now what my ears want to hear. I tried it with single coil and HB guitars, all sounding really good with a few tweaks on the EQs. No plan to change speakers at this point!

View attachment 942530
View attachment 942531
View attachment 942528
View attachment 942529

Very cool! I'm all about cheap, good-sounding, portable amps.
- is the speaker a 12" ?
( assuming yes, if 50 watt amp, right?)

- does the Preamp tube operate on both Channels ( if there is a Clean one) or just on Lead Channel?

Just curious- thanks!

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Very cool! I'm all about cheap, good-sounding, portable amps.
- is the speaker a 12" ?
( assuming yes, if 50 watt amp, right?)

- does the Preamp tube operate on both Channels ( if there is a Clean one) or just on Lead Channel?

Just curious- thanks!
Hey @Chiogtr4x! Yep..it's a 12 inch made in England Celestion. From all I have read, consensus is the preamp tube works in both channels, although I found a few posts where the writer thought is was only on the lead channel.

From what you have written on this board, I think you would love the sound to price ratio...but hate the weight :)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Hey @Chiogtr4x! Yep..it's a 12 inch made in England Celestion. From all I have read, consensus is the preamp tube works in both channels, although I found a few posts where the writer thought is was only on the lead channel.

From what you have written on this board, I think you would love the sound to price ratio...but hate the weight :)
I do need to get a Marshall ( really!) into my 'little fun amps that I can gig with!'
Collection
- most likely a 20 watter of some style with a 10" ( and Reverb)is in the near future.
Gotta watch $$ and space-
(just got the silly 5watt tube Monoprice one- like it)

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I do need to get a Marshall ( really!) into my 'little fun amps that I can gig with!'
Collection
- most likely a 20 watter of some style with a 10" ( and Reverb)is in the near future.
Gotta watch $$ and space-
(just got the silly 5watt tube Monoprice one- like it)
You know I love the MP 5 watt! Most used amp I have.

BTW...I did see some Valvestate 2000 AVT20's as I was doing my search. 10" speaker with spring reverb on board. Get pretty good reviews, as well.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
You know I love the MP 5 watt! Most used amp I have.

BTW...I did see some Valvestate 2000 AVT20's as I was doing my search. 10" speaker with spring reverb on board. Get pretty good reviews, as well.

Thanks, I'm seeing them ( or similar) on local Facebook, but I just need to take it easy.
I think I have bought/sold/ given away 5-6 little amps since 2020- fun, but need a break.
Maybe sell a spare Roland Cube ( have 2) , get the Marshall, Ha!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think Marshall has a pretty good track record of making amps at many price points that still sound like Marshalls. Some are really surprisingly good for the money.....
Good to know as I buy everything cheap, and SS doesn't matter to me if a good representative sound is produced
I've had good luck w/SS Fender and Vox- Marshall soon!

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I think Marshall has a pretty good track record of making amps at many price points that still sound like Marshalls. Some are really surprisingly good for the money.....

Very true. I’ve had a 100 watt Valvestate head and 4x12 that was very good. I also have a 30watt SS Marshall that sounds and works great.

markal

Tele-Afflicted
…and a few of the YouTube videos that were of high quality indicated the clean and lead channels were of good quality to my ears and taste.
Can you point me to one or two of those videos that helped you?

Nice find! I’ve been kinda interested in one of these (probably thanks to @Jakedog and his reviews on this forum!). There was one available locally a few years ago but it sold before I bothered to go try it.

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Can you point me to one or two of those videos that helped you?

Nice find! I’ve been kinda interested in one of these (probably thanks to @Jakedog and his reviews on this forum!). There was one available locally a few years ago but it sold before I bothered to go try it.
Here you go!

In the first, I took it with a grain of salt since Johan could plug into a toaster and make it sound good.

This guy plays thru some different styles, both clean and dirty. Playing starts at about 5 minutes in.

Mike_LA

Tele-Afflicted
Love this amp and I own 8 other full tube Marshall amps. These second gen valvestate amps rock...
For the $ it's as amazing as a pathfinder. Spring reverb, 12ax7 preamp, FX Loop, 12" speaker. Throw it in the back of the car and go...

Treynor

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Over the past few days I've been trying out different pedal combinations to see what sounds best to me through the AVT50. No kidding, I could easily play just the amp with the two channels and get some great sounds without pedals. But we all know it's fun to improve upon a great base, right?

Right now I'm enjoying this pedal combination. I'm running the Boss RV-6 thru the effects loop on the Delay+ setting. I've got it set to add in some subtle repeats that includes the little extra reverb in that setting. I am leaving the amps spring reverb as an always on setting at about 9 o'clock. This combination is working great when I want to add a little extra depth.

I'm running my pedalboard into the front of the amp. The shining star is the SD-1 which I normally run all the time when using the lead channel. Engaged with just a little drive, it enhances that great classic Marshall crunch sound I've loved for years.

I'm primarily using the Fat Boost V1 as an always on pedal when playing single coils thru the clean channel. It gives me a little extra volume and fullness.

I use the il Diavalo and Oxford when I want to add some additional OD and fuzz textures.

Having fun with the AVT50!

tempImageJh2dr1.png

tempImagejE53a8.png

Reactions: BB