My mystery Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Palaver, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

I bought this Tele at auction about a year or so ago. Came with an ugly brown G&G hard case but in okay shape. I had not seen this model before and was smittened right away. Beautiful amber quilt carved top minus the iconic chrome Tele control plate. Two black rounded controls and a 3 way switch. Neck was a lovely flamed maple 22 fret lacquered and all gold hardware. On the back of the headstock is a fender select badge. The serial number puts it at 2013. I can't find a picture of it or a description anywhere. Now the Special Edition Custom Telecaster® FMT HH comes as close as any to mine, except...
    It's a different finish, flamed not quilted.
    No coil split or pull pot.
    Rounded neck plate.
    Black line bound body.
    Different shaped control backplate.
    The SE Custom doesn't have a Fender Select badge.
    So I opened the control plate to have a look and I see what looks like an Emerson pre-wire rig for a Tele. Now I'm thinking someone grafted a Select neck to a custom body. Is it a parts caster? Probably the nicest partscaster I've ever seen but the body itself is the real mystery because I can't find another. I took the neck off to try and clear up the questions but there were some numbers with nothing really significant to add. Basically the date of the neck more or less matched the body. Everything fits like a glove. No wear marks. It looks like all the parts were born at the same time.
    I put all the pictures in the Media section under Mystery Tele.
    Think you might wanna guess what it is?
    http://www.tdpri.com/media/mystery-tele.39507/
    [​IMG]

2. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Doesn't look like any Fender I've ever seen.

FrontPU, TeleTown and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Strum und Twang

Strum und Twang Tele-Meister

Hmm... I'm voting for a hybrid/partscaster build. Does the neck plate follow the contour of the body very closely? The plate/body/neck junction area looks to my (admittedly old) eyes that it's not quite as nice a fit as a factory made guitar. Not my cup of tea, but it's a very attractive instrument. Enjoy!

FrontPU and nojazzhere like this.
  4. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Tele-Meister

Beautiful. A store near me had 2 like that for sale. An indonesian made one and a mexican or American one. They were striped though.

5. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

The build quality is as good as the other Fender Select Tele I have. The neck plate and heel are perfectly joined and made for each other. It's a Fender of that I'm pretty certain.

6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have never seen one quite that that, I must admit.
    :oops:

7. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Partscaster of some sort?

Hopefully you didn’t pay Fender Custom prices or anything crazy.

8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Don't consider this an insult but it has such a glamorous finish it reminds me of Japanese stuff that never sold outside Japan

9. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

Take a look at a Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster® FMT HH

10. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

No offense but the switch is wrong and even wrong location, tone/volume pot in wrong location, hardware is wrong

I mean it’s a nice body but just not Fender made

Please note: I’m no expert (and willing to admit when I’m wrong), just speaking what my eyes see

11. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Often when the serial number on the neck comes up with something that does not seem to match the rest of the guitar it has been transplanted. The knobs are off, the controls are off, but it could always be two different special builds. The body binding and roundover on the guitar in question have me confused if it is a fender body even if specified by the retailer as that would be a big change for the CNC machines.

I needed to see both example pictures in close proximity

Where there any linked pictures of the back, inside the control cavity, the neck pocket? I didn't see those.

Posted guitar
    [​IMG]

Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster® FMT HH image off the Internet
    [​IMG]

12. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

I put all the pictures in the Media section under Mystery Tele.

13. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Hmm - nice guitar, but I think it's a parts guitar. The neck is from a 2012 American Select Tele. I think the body may be from the old American Deluxe QMT Tele HH which was made from 2004-2006 (it was dropped after only 3 years; the corresponding Strat model ran all the way through 2009). The pickups are aftermarket, as is the bridge as the 2004-2006 American Deluxe QMT only came with chrome hardware. The gold tuners are definitely aftermarket as well - while the American Select Teles with chrome hardware had locking tuners the ones with gold hardware had non-locking tuners with pearloid buttons.

The American Deluxe FMT/QMT Telecasters also only came with a rosewood fingerboard. Here's a photo of an original one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Tim S likes this.
  14. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

You hit the jackpot brother. There's a Fender Telecaster Deluxe QMT HH 2006 Quilted Maple on Reverb with great pics. this one has a better case too.

15. Palaver

Palaver TDPRI Member

So it turns out the Mystery Tele is a partscaster born of some tasty parts.
    • 2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe QMT HH Quilted Maple
    • 2012 Fender Select Telecaster maple 22 fret neck
    • 2017 Lollar Imperial Low Wind Neck Humbucker Gold
    • 2017 Lollar F spaced Low Wind Imperial Bridge Humbucker Gold
    • Emerson pots and cap & treble bleed rewire
    More pictures located in the media section. The tuners appear to be gold Fender locking tuners though. Whoever built it didn't go cheap.

16. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's

Just corroborating what John C said above...

Many moons ago (2004/05) I used to own one of the American Deluxe HH QMTs. Came with locking tuners, locking straps, pearloid (abalone) markers. I thought the fretboard on these was ebony but not 100% on that. Had Strat-like body chamfering (cutaway) and a rounded off neck-plate. Enforcer humbuckers from memory with S1 switch. Mine came in a brown tolex Fender case.

Edit: Googled one on Reverb (more details here): https://reverb.com/uk/item/3167527-...-telecaster-qmt-2004-red-quilt-maple-top-mint

[​IMG] [​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

That one isn't mine; it was just a great example I found in a google search. These were supposed to have a dark brown tolex case, not the "chainsaw" case.

That was a nice one; I neglected to include that these did have the ebony fingerboard. For whatever reason the maple topped American Deluxe Strats had rosewood fingerboards (with the abalone dots).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.