1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My Mystery Tele... 52 RI neck

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ChickenFingers, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ChickenFingers

ChickenFingers TDPRI Member

Hey all, brand new I am. But have been lurking for a while... I've had a huge bug to get another Tele, miss my ole '78 with that huge neck... I play primarily boutique-y Strats and other one-off type guitars. An admitted guitar obsesso.

I have an odd bird parts Tele I bought from a guy in Orange County a few weeks ago... he didn't know what it was... I spent a bunch of time on these threads and researched my brains out... now I'm thinking the neck is a 52 RI from 1982, Fullerton... "VINTAGE" stamped on heel... has the correct tuners... seems to have the thin-ish, semi-V profile I've read that those RIs have... previous owner added the string trees. And yeah, it's a black headstock. Whoever painted it black did so many years ago.... did they EVER come from the factory like that??

the body and the rest of it have me at a loss...

I know it's an after market pickguard. The bridge, hardware (apart from tuners) do not seem to have been born with the neck. Wrong bridge, obviously, etc.

I bought this guitar because I loved the woody sound on the neck pickup. It's warm and it's big, yet defined. And I'm a sucker for a good natural relic. The age lines on this guitar are very mojoy (not so obvious in these pix). The neck, however, is of course not the huge chunky neck I miss from my 70s Tele and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this guitar or pass it on. A bit of time will tell. I'm really not sure what it's worth. Dings everywhere. I took her apart and have a gazillion pictures... they are here:

http://s1052.beta.photobucket.com/user/ScottB69/library/Fender Telecaster RI Mystery TELE

I will attach a few here too.

Sorry to just join up and ask for help but... Anyone know from whence this body came?? The guy I bought it from said the body was from "the 70s." I doubt that. :eek: ... and he thought the neck was from "the 60s" :eek: Uh. No. Nice guy though :p

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

My guess is that it's a homebuilt. Vintage stamp would come from a 3rd party company and likely the body as well. The bridge is really different. The tuners are mounted crooked which indicates homebuilt and there is no serial number. I doubt much of it is Fender.

3. DMeltzer

DMeltzer Tele-Meister

Yep - def not a Fender.......but if is sounds good and plays well - that's all that matters

4. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

First photo looks like cheap hammer saddles and the third photo looks like modern saddles kludged for a toploader.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i dont think that is a fender neck. the tuners are way too close to the edge, and hard to tell but looks like import sized bushings (10mm)

the body is not fender either. the control cavity is drilled wrong, too small. look how the screws of the control plate are on the edge.

here is a real 52ri neck
    [​IMG]

6. Twang Guitars

Twang Guitars Tele-Meister

Not a Fender, but I like it as a base for a build.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I agree.

Although, Fender is happy to supply a guitar with misaligned tuning machines of this sort, quite happy.

I just don't see anything makes me wanna characterize it as a Fender.

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly. You guys just saved me the trouble of posting pictures of my otherwise beloved '57 AVRI Strat. I've had it since it was new over 20 years ago, and I still shake my head when I look at the "alignment" of the tuning machines. :eek:

9. ChickenFingers

That all makes sense. Appreciate it! Maybe I will use it as a starting point for a build. Thanks everyone!

10. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

I think that neck could well be a Fullerton 52RI, ive seen many with VINTAGE stamped on the heel, someone has painted the headstock though.

11. ChickenFingers

Yeah, you know, at the moment, after more research, I do believe the neck was born a Fullerton 52RI.... due to the VINTAGE stamp and especially due to the circular FRR 20 Fender quality control stamp. Lord knows what happened to it since 1982 but.... that's my gut feeling. I've played another one and this neck shape is the same... who knows. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.