My musings on the rationale for buying a Taylor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Jul 19, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I've been downsizing collection for some time. However, a couple of months ago I had the impulse to acquire a nice Taylor. I punted. Actually I forfeited. However, when I am confronted with a decision, a dilemma etc I usually write down my thoughts to help me sort through it. This is what I wrote many weeks ago.

"To Taylor or not?

Why do you want it?
    More defined high end— better for recording and finger picking. Is it really worth it?
    Have a cutaway for upper fretboard access - how much do U play in the upper register?
    Have an acoustic electric- you’re NOT gigging
    They’re purrtee and cool - Dumb reason

I have two beautiful acoustics now and don’t play as frequently as I do my electrics.
    Most of my recorded acoustics are rhythm and not picking or single line.

Amplified acoustic is not need for performing because it’s unlikely for me at this point. If I did start performing then I could get a 114 or 214.

Amplified may be better for playing with my backing tracks but I could aways mic the guitar.
    A cutaway doesn’t really change much for upper FB access because of the heel and I don’t go there frequently.
    I’m more of a strummer than picker. In the future if I developed my picking style maybe it would be more logical and justified.
    Cool is never a good justification for another guitar. I’ve spent (& lost) thousands buying “cool” guitars and most loose their attraction and luster soon enough.

I just sold an absolutely beautiful J185 that was “cool” and iconic. Did I sell the 185 just to buy another guitar. You won’t be satisfied with a 3 series so cost goes up.

Then there's the old “which guitar do I play” conundrum: what good are they if they sit in the case?

If I really wanted it, I would get it. It’s what I do for fun and my prime form of recreation but I’ve been down this road before. I just don’t need it."

So there it is. I denied myself this pleasure. Fortunately money was not an issue. I just applied some adult logic.

Stratandtele and Fendereedo like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I wanted a Taylor a few years ago. Played a ton of them . Fell in love with a couple high end ones ...900 series? But realized what I loved was the looks not the playing. Ended up not buying one.

Then I saw a mahogany 400 series showed up on Craig's List, like new and dirt cheap. ($550 with case) Bought it immediately before it sold, didn't bond and sold it for a profit soon after.

Then a couple years back I got the bug again. I spent a ton of time at the music store comparing acoustics. I concluded that:
    The Taylors didnt sound any better than most decent acoustics; Yamaha, Gibson etc.
    The Taylor 1.75 nut is not for me and I'm not custom ordering one.
    The most comfortable and good sounding one was I think a 300 I tried. I liked one of the baby Taylor's too.

I ended up buying another vintage Westerly Guild, which I have always liked. In fact eventually I bought two!

Taylors are great but just not for me I think.

3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

Sometimes, it seems like being an adult or doing the sensible thing is
    denying yourself of a lot of joy. I haven't bought anything new in almost five years, but I'm okay with that.
    Many a high-end acoustic has caught my attention, but I've used many of the criteria you've listed to discourage myself from making the purchase.
    Just my opinion, but when a guitar's price is over an arbitrary number (a thousand dollars, twelve or fifteen hundred), you really need to ask yourself if it will make you play or sound any better, or are you paying for the name on the headstock or pearl inlay? YMMV...

4. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

I went down the Taylor rabbit hole, albeit briefly, a few years ago. I bought a 214ce after trying many Taylor’s at local shops. I absolutely hated the electronics. It was a good playing guitar. Sold it quickly, and wound up buying a used WESTERLY GUILD as well, and put a fishman matrix in it. Problem solved, never looking back. The old, made in Rhode Island Guilds are under appreciated. I now have two as well, a mid eighties D-25, and an early nineties D-4 (fishman in D-4). I learned to play on the D-25, the Guild necks feel like home to me.

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I haven't touched an acoustic in quite some time now, I think staying off them completely has been all the medicine I've needed. When I buy them I just stare at them in awe anyway. Electric seems to be my only path these days, which I'm really happy with.

jtees4 likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That's how mine feel.

Stratandtele likes this.
  7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

It's expensive AND has a bolt-on neck .. so, win, win?

8. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Damn gas

..."buy now and save"

Signed,
    an enabler

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lotsa Taylor jokes .

I have told my share.

Almost all not fit for this forum.

On the other hand, back in’86/‘87 a brand new music store near me stocked them.

Dug the rw jumbo 12’s a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.