My Mother Thinks I Broke My Nose ...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kafka, Apr 13, 2019.

1. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

... once when I was a kid. She's not sure because she didn't have it checked out. Besides, all they do is put a piece of tape on it and tell you to go home. She thinks there's a little bump in it from that. I don't remember anything about the experience at all. I don't feel scarred, or neglected, and my nose looks fine the way it is.

What I mean to say is, I'm old now, and this is the kind of story I occasionally tell myself to justify some degree of self-satisfaction, as if I had suffered some kind of hardship with grace. In truth, it's just something that maybe happened, or maybe didn't, wasn't a particularly formulative experience, and certainly has no bearing on anything at all.

And when I say that, what I really mean to say is that self-awareness is a trap. It's often an exercise in socially fed creative fiction. While original myth seems inherent to the human experience, it shouldn't be understood as more than a metaphor. It's important to know thyself, but it's also important to not get too close, because you're here now, and your nose looks the way it does for whatever reason, or maybe no reason at all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    drf64, brookdalebill and boneyguy like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If cows laughed, would milk come out of their noses?

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

my wife had a broken nose when she was very young. And as you said, 'they' did nothing about it. When I met her, I did not see her nose as a thing broken; but as we became better acquainted, and married, I stared to realize that the broken nose, the lack of care, etc. had left a major mark upon her, psychically. It had affected her through her whole life, and she suffered much in her self-confidence. To me she was breath-takingly and heart-achingly beautiful; to herself, she was damaged. We arranged a corrective surgery; after a few weeks of misery she came out looking wonderful. Nobody in her family even really noticed - she was still her same old self. But SHE noticed. She noticed very much, and was very happy and satisfied with the result. And I noticed the effect it had on her self-confidence.

So you can say what you want about self-awareness, socially fed creative fiction, original myth and human experience as a metaphor; what I know is that sometimes it's a good thing to take care of a broken nose, even if you're 20 years too late.

4. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

I was bouncing my daughter on a trampoline and she raised her head and hit me right on the bridge of the nose just about knocking me clean out and bleeding like crazy, she does not remember it and thinks the story is funny.
    What was the point again?

nojazzhere, kafka, DaveTone and 2 others like this.
  5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I take medicine for it, 3x the normal dose. They say I’m ok now. I feel pretty normal anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you could harness the experience and write a blues song about it?

Kids bones are rubber like and harder to break. I think we all take a hit to the nose, knock a tooth out etc when growing up.

Cheshiergrin and Shuster like this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

After you said you don't feel scarred neglected, I was trying to see where this was going, then the self awareness thing. Has Maryland become a recreational state?

Cheshiergrin and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Jim622

I don't think you can say "kids boned".

Mad Kiwi and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. Jim622

Damn that was quick correction

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up on the typo and edited it. :)

Jim622 likes this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don’t know , but I had a friend who would laugh and poop would come out of his nose but then again, he always was full of s**t...

Shuster, nojazzhere and Jim622 like this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

:lol:

stxrus and Shuster like this.
  13. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Schroedinger's Cat's Nose?

Greggorios, kafka and drf64 like this.
  14. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

My daughter did an almost identical single forehead death punch right into my schnozz - only we were on a Lazy-Boy. Maybe its why we have special relationships with our daughters compared to sons; we have their subconscious guilt in our favor :)

Cheshiergrin likes this.
  15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I was in first grade grade I was bending over to tie my shoe and Dwight D, well known bully and evil opportunist, kicked my ass and I landed on my face, bloodying my nose a bit. That hurt, but not as bad as when, a few months later, still in first grade, I was running at recess and collided with Kathy M, whose head smashed my nose. I was on the verge of passing out with that one. Blood was gushing from my nose. Kathy was crying and her friends were all telling me what a jerk I was. I remember trying to clean up in the BR, being late back to the classroom and getting in trouble. And then a few months later, still in my private hell of first grade, I drank too much orange juice one morning but the teacher wouldn't let me go to the can. I peed my pants and Brenda B found out and told everyone.

Thanks for helping me remember all of this, @kafka.

Jupiter, Shuster, Jim622 and 3 others like this.
  16. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I broke my girlfriend's nose one time while we were in the middle of the act.

Oops.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  17. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Some pretty dark revelations coming out in here - please no one go so far I get a subpoena to the trial

18. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I once got an entire table of people to snort their drinks with this joke. It was one of the greatest moments of my life.

19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Mine has been broken several times. The last time was around 1982 when my infant son slammed his big baby head into it. Anyway, all the breaks combined to create a nice step that keeps my glasses up on my face

Cheshiergrin likes this.
  20. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Once, my daughter was feeling tired and sluggish and wanted to sit on my lap. After a while, she turned to me and said "Daddy?" I said "Yes?" and then she barfed all over me. It was one of funniest things that ever happened to me. My wife didn't understand why I couldn't stop laughing about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.