My modulation and delay ended up Digitech, this surprised me...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Feb 16, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

In my long and insane quest for sounds/pedals I like, I am rather surprised that my modulation effects and delay ended up being Digitech. The first reason is they are all digital - I prefer analogy type stuff. The second is that its made by Digitech, which I normally wouldn't equate with the the higher end stuff. Their hardwire pedals were good and I am obviously a fan of the newer generation as they sound really good and do the job extremely well. I prefer them over their Boss equivalents. Just an interesting observation to me, one who tends to be very cork sniffing about his effects...

IMG_1727.JPG IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1729.JPG

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Digitech stuff works for lots of people. Someone I played with had a DT multi FX board and it didn't sound bad at all - he had tweaked all the presets but that's par for the course with even the 'best' units. Nice modulation effects.

D_Malone likes this.
  3. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I really want to try the Nautila.

Had the Ventura and thought it was ok.

I have a Polaris on my board and it’s great.

I have 2 Obscuras on my board. I absolutely love them. The tape echo and lo-fi settings are my favorites. It’s a solid delay pedal at any price.

Enjoy!

4. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I had the Ventura and loved it. But I sold it because I only kept it in the box and stared at it once in a while.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Obviously not, right?
    the death of preconception can be a great thing

D_Malone likes this.
  6. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I was listening to demos of these last night. I liked one sound I heard from the Ventura, but on the whole I didn't like it. I didn't like the other two pedals at all. I guess to my ears digital stuff tends to sound like it is sitting on top of the signal rather than being tightly integrated with the signal. And it seems to have a degrading quality that I don't like, likely from the digital conversion. I really do prefer analog in just about every case.

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

I am really digging the sound of a DOD (Digitech) delay pedal though. The Rubberneck sounds good to me. It's probably the next best thing to a vintage Memory Man Deluxe with some features that old pedal doesn't have, such as true bypass and an effects loop. It doesn't have that nice crunchy preamp sound, but it does have good complexity that I think is just about on par with an old Memory Man Deluxe (not too far behind).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    D_Malone likes this.
  8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

You could tell all that just from demos? You’ve never actually used them? Impressive.

I own/have owned many analog delays. In my opinion the Obscura is right up there with them.

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. bluesholyman

I played a [edited: Coppersound ] Polaris in a store once - quite possibly the best, biggest, widest sounding chorus I had ever heard. The nautila is a different animal as it tends to make the chorus more prominent not as high in the frequency range as say a boss or the polaris. I tried a CE-2w for a while and it was just too much [for me] up high, which I think some people desire.

I could see using a Polaris and a Nautila on the same board as they cover different ranges - at least thats how I heard them. I do enjoy the Nautila though - its pretty big sounding in its own right.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    D_Malone likes this.
  10. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Meister

I think you have the Polaris confused with another pedal. The Digitech Polaris is a reverb pedal. ;)

11. bluesholyman

Ah, you are correct. Coppersound makes a chorus called the Polaris. My brain was thinking "chorus" while your post was talking digitech - I should have caught that.

The digitech Polaris is a great reverb pedal - out of any that I have tried, I liked it the most but overall, I am not a reverb fan. The Polaris, Boss RV-6, and Red Panda Context - any of those if I had to....

D_Malone likes this.
  12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Obscura is a great pedal and a stone-cold steal brand new, even better used.

bluesholyman and D_Malone like this.
  13. bluesholyman

I think this is what I like about the Digitech stuff - I found that it sounds more like analog and less like digital than most (all?) other pedals I have tried. They all (I think) have a way to adjust the brightness which really makes a difference.

D_Malone likes this.
  14. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

No surprise to me!

My board is all Digitech Hardwire which were predecessors of your boxes.

bluesholyman likes this.
  15. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I just began using the Ventura Vibe. I like it a lot - I’ve set it up fairly mild for use as a phase on Vintage, and a chorus on Modern. I think. One of those switch positions. Anyway, surpassed my expectations. Good stuff!

bluesholyman likes this.
  16. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Yes I could. It's not like I just fell off the turnip truck. I have being playing and using guitar gear for over 25 years, including listening to demonstrations of what other people do with the gear I own and have owned and doing computer recording for nearly 20 years. It seems to be the case that every time I end up using something digital for a while, I end up right back at analog. I wish that weren't the case, because digital stuff is alot less expensive and tons more convenient to use.

17. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

Ya know, as far as the digital-v-analog division with pedals, I'm not partisan. Does it work? Does it sound like you like it to? I've got a mix of mostly inexpensive non-boutique stomp fare, a mix of analog and digital, it's totally working.

Norris Vulcan and D_Malone like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Digitech and Lexicon are all owned under Samsung. Upped their game.

19. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Great Digitech collection.

I've just bought the Ventura Vibe. It's great. Love the rotary setting. I'll have to set it up as a chorus to see how it compares to my Boss Super Chorus.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Churchjack and bluesholyman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.