My mods of Boss CS-3 -- nice pedal now

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by RustySterling, Jun 20, 2019.

1. RustySterling

RustySterling Tele-Meister

Hi. I hang in Shock Brother mostly. Built a couple of amps, building another, but I got the bug to mod and build pedals. Got it cheap, about $30. Was noisy -- buzzy and hissy -- and just made everything else noisier. So I started with a Framel mod, all caps, resistors and diodes. Still a nice upgrade nonetheless and that did away with the buzz and some of the hiss.

I started researching other mods and kits. Found lots of information and even considered Allums Opto Plus mod, involving some op amp swaps as part of the mod. But I figured I already had the equivalent of the Opto mod with the Fromel. Instead, I got some of Monte's SIP to DIP conversion boards and risers as well as raised sockets. These will give me some room to play. But I had read someone else swapping out the SIP JRC4558LD op amps with Burr Brown OPA2134PA and had great results. I had a couple on hand and now they reside in the CS-3. This will never be a studio pedal but the hiss is now diminished tremendously and this pedal sounds very transparent. For live play this will be wonderful, especially with slide.

I'm not a noob with electronics. I've done a lot of searches here and learned a lot as I lurked. I just wanted to share what I had accomplished. I'll do pics later.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool. The CS3 was what I was looking for before I built my optical compressor. I’ve used the OPA2134PA in several pedals in place of 4558’s and yes, they seem hifi and crystal clear. Nothing like a really transparent compressor or preamp to make the guitar more vibrant.

3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I like the Burr-Brown chips and I bought a few different dual op-amps to try in my Prince of Tone. I liked the LF353 the best in that, though the OPA2134 and NE5532 both sounded better than the stock JRC4580 so I didn't try the 4558.

My son has the CS-3, but doesn't use compression a lot. I'm still messing around with the Engineer's Thumb I built a couple months ago, I can't believe how adjustable it is for a guitar comp. Hmm, now I'm wondering how a pair of OPA2134's would sound in it vs the TL072's!

4. RustySterling

RustySterling Tele-Meister

I've also done some changes to my SD-1, which Robert Keeley himself modified a few years back. He stacked two 4558Ps, which I just recently change to a NE5532, which I like much better. I may try a OPA2134 at some point but I'm very happy with the 5532. Along with the CS3, the SD1 is my go too for slide. Sounds fat and toneful -- almost a George Throughgood sound. The CS3 is necessary for the sound, without it the slide with just the SD1 sounds good but not as thick as I'd like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.