My messy little practice room...but it works.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John Backlund, Jan 28, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

2. robmclark

robmclark TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

amps and guitars- what's not to like :)

24 track, Slap Axe and John Backlund like this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Much cleaner than mine....trust me. You walk into mine and you might find an old pizza box and maybe a deceased hooker inside my Twin Reverb.

I like your set-up, but you really could use a Twin Reverb....ya know, just in case.

24 track, rolandson, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Messy? It would take me a week or more to get my room that tidy and i'd have to burn some stuff while I was at it.:)

5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

nice toys John, I am so rapidly running out of space right now its driving me nuts , so i started making work stations and they are messy too.
    this is my last one

-1.jpg

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I didn't even see a single messy thing in that room, dude...I literally have tax documents on the floor of my office / rehearsal space all mixed up with chord charts right now.

24 track, Slap Axe and Milspec like this.
  7. John Backlund

It's been a long time since I've owned an amp larger than 20 watts, though my little Boss Acoustic Singer is 60, which is huge power considering it's diminutive physical size.

Back around 1973 I had a 105 watt Univox tube amp head with eight ten inch speakers in the cab.

It was ridiculously large, about like a smallish refrigerator. I wish I still had it, but I would have zero use for such a monster these days, and I really had zero use for it back then too, I was just too stupid to know it. But damn! It was an impressive unit.

Found a photo of one like I had. The only reason I bought it was because Schmidt Music in Minneapolis had them on sale for a stupid-low price back then, and I just happened to have the scratch to buy one, which was unusual in itself at that time.
    Screenshot_20200128-210943~2.png

I had it in the tiny living room of our rented one bedroom house in East St. Paul. If I turned the volume knob up much past .5, it could probably break windows next door. Too bad I couldn't play worth a crap. To say that I was totally 'over-geared' with that thing was the understatement of the decade.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    c.winn, Ricky D., stormsedge and 5 others like this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

That's messy?
    No way I'm posting mine.

24 track likes this.
  9. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

Not that messy. My practice area is also my home office. Two, two two messes in one!

24 track and Milspec like this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Hey JB...take a gander at my avatar photo...gray instead of blue tolex, 60 watts instead of 105, bass version. My first guitar amp with tubes, bought around 1994 out of the print classifieds (!) for $50.

Dimed it through a Scholz Power Soak attenuator into an open-backed Fender 4 x 12...and joined a baaaaaand, man. It was fun.

Does the Line 6 Spider work okay?

24 track and John Backlund like this.
  11. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Nice toy collection you have there, John. :cool:

24 track likes this.
  12. John Backlund

I haven't even plugged in the Line 6 yet to see if it works, but I will tomorrow morning.

24 track likes this.
  13. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

What's that need gold thingamajig under some cloth and what looks to be another guitar in the corner? That's a pretty curious looking whatever-it-is.

Also, as others have said, that's pretty tight compared to most practices spots I've ever seen.

newrider1969 and 24 track like this.
  14. John Backlund

Those are the guitars I actually use and aren't wall decorations (except for the model100 half-hidden by the chair, it's only there because there wasn't anywhere else in the room to put it). Nothing special, particularly expensive, or exotic, just no-nonsense 'player's instruments'. I'm not too impressed with the maroon Epiphone acoustic/electric though, I bought it about six weeks ago, but it needs some serious neck adjustments, and I'm not to crazy about it's sound in general..

Of the guitars in the image, the Tele and Gretsch resonator are the most used. The Dano 12 was delivered only yesterday, so obviously, it hasn't been played more than an hour or two, but should, hopefully, be suitable for a lot of upcoming things.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    24 track and aging_rocker like this.
  15. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

You can almost see and hear the fun you're having in this room! :) But ever considered a multi stand, and placing some amps on top of each other? It looks like it could really open things up, and it's very practical and good sounding (the amp part).

John Backlund and 24 track like this.
  16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

John... I'm surprised to not see your own designs among your regularly played guitars. Do you view them more as 'art' than as everyday players? They sure are fantastic looking.

24 track likes this.
  17. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, the room works and looks good. Nice looking 12 string Dano.

24 track likes this.
  18. John Backlund

I was wondering when someone would mention that. Being a solidbody, the only guitar in that group that might possibly (?) be replaced, sonically, by one of 'my' guitars would be the telecaster, but to be honest, I don't feel that any of them can beat the simple clarity of that tele, and another factor is that I've owned and played that particular guitar much longer than any other that I own (2002), and I'm very comfortable and familiar with it, so I just instinctively favor it.

Of course I like my 'Backlund' guitars, but I must admit that the pure function and the visually unpretentious telecaster has me plugging it in more often than anything else.

When it comes to Telecasters...I 'get it', and have for a long time.

;)

24 track and DHart like this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

John up on the 50/60's looking gold stereo you have a white guitar , what is that?

20. John Backlund

It's a truly horrible Chinese knockoff of my model 400 that my wife bought for me as a birthday present some years ago. They never finished it before shipping it, sent it without the 'S' shaped plastic pickguard. They claimed that they couldn't figure out how to make one, which seems very unlikely.
    IMG_20200129_212057159.jpg

The thing cost nearly $500, but I'm not exaggerating when I say that, as a player, it's not worth $50. It's perhaps THE worst electric guitar I've ever seen, which pleases me, because I don't want them making really good copies of my stuff.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.