1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My maple-necked guitar needs gret markers

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Hastings, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

The fret-marker idea wasn't broke but some designer at Godin guitars decided to fix it: the tiny fret makers are actually on the side of the neck, nears the fret ends. Bizarre. I don't even see them. So how do I replace them with normal black circles in the middle of the fretboard? I've read of decals but that seems unsatisfactory. I did not see much in the way of search results when I went looking. Is there a way of adding real markers to it, myself, with a bit of work? Should I have a professional do it?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

Gret markers? Oh well..... I searched for "edit title" and got results mostly about "Rosewood." Go figure.

FRET MARKERS.

Fuelish likes this.
  3. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

See: Bumched Shrit and Guitar and Map Combinations

ThermionicScott and Fretting out like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Are you talking about dots on the side of the neck, between the actual frets? The ones you can actually SEE when standing and playing? If you are lacking and want markers on the front of the fingerboard, go to Walmart and buy a white paint pen. Sold in the crafting section.
    Wait....I missed the maple neck part......buy a BLACK paint pen. ;)

5. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

yes

Fuelish and Jakedog like this.
  6. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I depends on the skill and tools you have.
    You might get used to no fret markers.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I did it to a cheap maple neck with a drill press and black epoxy.
    I couldn't have wished for better.
    It came out perfect.

JSMac and Fuelish like this.
  8. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

Drill hole, and epoxy..... cover with polyurethane or some kind of shellac? By brush?

9. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

And cargo snorts! :D

10. charlie chitlin

The neck had a thin coat of poly.
    The drill went through it cleanly without chipped edges.
    When the epoxy began to stiffen and get workable, I smoothed it with a razor blade.
    When it dried, I finished it with, I'm guessing now, maybe 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 wet-or-dry followed by some kind of polishing compound. I like swirl remover or hand glaze...sometimes Brasso.
    This brought the dots to a high shine and I figured the epoxy was strong enough to not require any additional finishing.
    I'm not a woodworker by any stretch of the imagination, but I have worked with tools basically daily for 30 years, and I have a high success rate even with stuff I've never done before.
    If you don't have a pretty intimate relationship with stuff like this, I wouldn't suggest trying it.
    And, unless you're a woodworker, I would suggest you practice in as similar a piece of wood as possible.

Henley and Jakedog like this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

What’s wrong with the side dots? I’m not sure I understand...

I have several guitars with no markers on the actual fretboard. As long as there are side dots I don’t even notice. It’s a great look, though. When I see somebody else hold it or it’s sitting on a stand. Very clean and classy. I’ve never owned a classical guitar with fret markers.

Mike Simpson and loopfinding like this.
  12. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Side dots aren't too hard to install - I have a left handed friend who has had me install them on several guitars. Fret board markers themselves will be hard to do because of the finish on the maple board. If it was lacquer touch up isn't too bad, if it is poly touch up can be very difficult.

Henley likes this.
  13. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

What was the depth and diameter of the holes?
    Is that epoxy specific to musical instruments, or just a general product?

I have no specs from Godin as it's an older guitar, but a few discussions have mentioned a "real laquer" and "Mirror laquer" finish.

To those who expressed interest and/or curiosity, I have played guitar for some time and have always had normal fret markers: fairly visible, in the centre of the fretboard. That is what I require. The fret markers already there, I don't even see when I'm playing, and I don't want to dedicate a year or two trying to get used to them.

Thank you.

[​IMG]

Jakedog likes this.
  14. stale facet

stale facet TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Don't care about markers on the neck? Then have I got the guitar for you:

mats-bobs-guitar.PNG

Fuelish and Jakedog like this.
  15. charlie chitlin

I suppose the depth was 2 or 3 32nds.
    The diameter had to match the others...I don't remember.
    Being you have those little dots already, your eye might have preferences for size and location.
    I would suggest drawing some on with a sharpie and see what looks good, then measure.

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve checked. I can’t really see any of my fretboard markers while I’m playing the guitar. Only the side dots. I’ve never thought to look for them, though. I’ve always thought of the side dots as position markers, and the fretboard inlays as corresponding decorations. I’ve only ever thought of them as cosmetic additives.

Now I’m genuinely curious- Am I a weirdo? Is it common to crank one’s eyeballs around and look at the actual front of the fretboard instead of just using the side dots? I’m not trying to be a tool, I’m being serious. I’ve never considered that somebody might actually do that. I’m not giving you a hard time, this is just something I’ve never heard of and now I’m wondering how many people do it.

I have three guitars without markers on the front of the fretboard. Well, two that are totally blank, and one that just has my initials at the 12th fret. I had them made that way by their respective builders because I thought it looked really slick and clean. Many other people have played them and never made mention of the lack of inlay except to comment (some like it and some don’t) on the look. I thought the side dots were the road map. They’re what I can see while I’m playing.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Fuelish and loopfinding like this.
  17. charlie chitlin

I'm all about the side markers, too.
    I've had to put them on 2 guitars so I could play them.
    Fingerboard markers matter little to me...the fatter the guitar, the less they mean.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you do decide to drill, use a small Forstner bit or a spur-point bit. They make razor-clean holes in wood. Using a typical twist drill is fraught with danger of chip-out.

[​IMG]

Jakedog likes this.
  19. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah, classical musicians and blind musicians don't need fret markers OR side dots. "the no fret marker idea wasn't broken but some guy name Martin decided to fix it."

but i kid...sort of. it's not super hard to find your position on a classical or acoustic when the neck joins the body at the 12th. the 12th becomes a reference point. you get used to it after a few weeks, not years.

but on guitars where the neck joins at the 15th it starts to become a little cumbersome remembering that many positions.

i like brandon acker's "solution" on one of his classicals - he just requested a side dot at the 7th for large position shifts in low lighting. thinking about that idea when i first heard it, i definitely make a mental note of where the 5th or 7th fret is when i'm playing classical.

i think if i really needed a road map on an electric on the fretboard itself, i'd probably just want an inlay at the 7th and the 12th.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Fret dots are readily available cheap. But yeah, I'd have a pro do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.