My looper is my savior

HootOwlDude

TDPRI Member
I have long forestalled plans to build up a proper recording studio at my house, with an dedicated laptop, DAW, monitors, etc., but for the last couple years I’ve stalled on it because I’ve found my looper to be such a pleasing composition tool. I bought an EHX 720 looper with plans to use it to start playing out again some, but just started making music at home with the thing. It has really refreshed my lifelong habit of songwriting. After making instrumentals using my looper sort of like a track recorder that loops a long chord progression with a bridge and layering on a final solo section, I’ve recently just started using the thing completely linearly, without looping, to record my songs with lyrics. I then dump the “loop” to my old Yamaha AW16G digital recorder to burn to disc. The process is pleasing because there’s no mixing step really because I just do it while composing, by ear, while layering the parts of the song on the looper, if that makes sense. The end product isn’t perfect,and I don’t presently have a condenser mic to nail the vocals like I know I can, but all I all I find it a great way to actualize my original songs and have them on disc or “out there.” I usually just plop them on SoundCloud. Here a link to my latest original song. Any feedback is appreciated.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/JwL26q5fqtHMFTvA6

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Good vibes man!

I like the guitar vamp, very cool.

May I suggest to post this track on
some of the other sub forums here, like
Twanger Central, Recording in Progress.

This is where folks show their songs and
ask for critique, suggestions etc.
Very nice folks all around. Thanks.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
its fun when you can get your gear to do cool stuff
great tune, nice feel and groove

I did hear a bit of frequency clash in the instruments , most likely due to compression to MP3 format .
well done , sounds like you had fun!

HootOwlDude

TDPRI Member
Good vibes man!

I like the guitar vamp, very cool.

May I suggest to post this track on
some of the other sub forums here, like
Twanger Central, Recording in Progress.

This is where folks show their songs and
ask for critique, suggestions etc.
Very nice folks all around. Thanks.
Thanks! Will probably do that!

HootOwlDude

TDPRI Member
its fun when you can get your gear to do cool stuff
great tune, nice feel and groove

I did hear a bit of frequency clash in the instruments , most likely due to compression to MP3 format .
well done , sounds like you had fun!
Thanks! I do try to have the layers of loops sit in different spots in the frequency spectrum, and use an equalizer to help with that. In this case the Danelectro Fish ‘n’ Chips on my board. Yeah—a bit of a low budget affair. It is easy to lose track what is sitting where when you are doing it all by ear and layering a lot. And my vocals especially need better treatment getting nestled in. I know there are plosives pretty much throughout. Need to improve that setup for sure. It was fun indeed. Thanks again!

HootOwlDude

TDPRI Member
That is pretty cool. Is that a synth in the background with the tremolo effect?
Yes, tremolo is most of the modulation in there, both harmonic and regular. I used a Walrus Audio Monument (v1). Some of the texturing behind the verses is an EHX SYNTH-9 on the strings setting running through an envelope filter and the trem pedal. I also used a Behringer VP-1 phaser when it sort of opens up. The wacky digital sounding blinky stuff behind the chorus is mostly pitch delay getting signal from the same envelope filter and going through another warmer delay.