My little golfing buddy, is lucky in many ways.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My little golfing buddy for most of his life was kind of like Mickey Rooney, he just bought a marriage license but never filled it out, because he didn't stay married long enough for the ink to get dry. Then late in life, married a gal he went to school with, and it was the one for him. They both draw retirement, but he lucked into a deal where the two of them run a senior mobile home park, both draw a salary, and live virtually free at the park. They've been there six years, and can stay there as long as they are able to run the park.

His son in law gave them a nice Chevrolet truck, and a travel trailer. One day the travel trailer burned down at the place it was stored. He got enough money out of the insurance to buy an even better trailer. Then his brother in law stumbled into his childhood sweetheart one day, and got married within two weeks..

The brother in law and his bride sold out in this hot housing market, and bought a fifth wheel trailer and a dually, and decided to travel the U.S. extensively until they find a place they want to live. Since the brother in law had a nice 2015 crew cab, LTZ four wheel drive pickup, it only made sense to him since he wouldn't be using it, to give it to my golfing buddy.

The only monthly outlay my buddy had was for a little pickup truck he had bought, and was making payments on, he went to two dealers to try and sell it, the second one he went to bought it, and he actually got more money than he owed for it. Now he is living totally debt free.

One time he called me up, and said he was on his way back from Prim Nevada where he had just won $8800. He said when he hit that jackpot, he gave the gal who had been keeping him in drinks a hundred dollar bill, cashed out and headed home. I'm neither jealous nor envious of my golfing buddy, he's always been generous to me, and continues to be. He's a little guy, but his heart is as big as anyone's.

2. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Some guys have all the luck

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Cheers to one of us of small stature living the dream!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Many years ago, we were at a golf course that my buddy and I were playing at, and I asked to look at a golf driver I hit it a few times on the indoor hitting area, and liked it. I went back over to see if I could make a deal with the guy behind the counter, and he said your buddy already paid for it! A couple of months ago, we were playing golf with his son in law and his son, the son in law said hey I won this in a tournament, you want it? It was a nice Odessy White Hot Lab Putter, that cost $289.00 at Dick's sporting goods. I know because the next time I was at Dick's I saw one just like it.

A while back, I sold off a bunch of extra golf clubs, but before you know it, someone had given me this and that, and now I have a bag full of them again. I guess I'm pretty lucky too.

5. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Cool stories TD! I've known guys like this many times, and always envious of how they always seem to end on top regardless of what life throws at em. Seems that no matter what they do, luck and fortune seems to land right in their lap. When the housing market collapsed in 08, a buddy of mine was upside down and facing bankruptsy cause at the same time, he got laid off from his construction job building houses! Go figure right? Talk about a double wammy. But... he's like your buddy in that things just seem to "happen" for him. Long story short - things transpired in such a way that, in a few short years, he was owner of 6 resturants in a resort area and his home was paid off, as well as all his cars and everything else! He's retired today and debt free, with a ton of moolah in yon bank! And..... he didn't know jack poopy about the resturant business when he started in it!!! LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol::cool::cool:

voodoostation and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

I'm thinking you don't have to know much about anything if you're the kind of guy who is lucky! My buddy could fall through the floor of an outhouse and come out of there clean as a whistle with a prize rainbow trout sticking out of his hip pocket! You know my buddy has more in common with Obsessed that either of them might think. My buddy makes NO plans in life, but he trusts his instincts, and they always seem to work.

Telekarster likes this.
  7. Telekarster

Yep!!! That pretty much sums it up for the guys I know like this! Spot on TD ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Telekarster

Yeah.... I'm always happy for them, however. Like my buddies situation - Things were sure looking pretty bleak for him in 08-09. Heck, I even tried to get him a job and even offered to loan him some $! He turned me down on all fronts sayin' "You know me, man.... thanks but something's gonna come my way any day now!" :lol::eek::confused::cool: Boy did they ever! A chance meeting with a guy on a golf course (no... I'm not kidding LOL!!!) who just happened to be an expert chef, looking for someone to partner with who had business/construction exp to open up a resturant... 5 more would follow it! The rest is history ;) LOL!!! Far out!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Sometimes it's just where you happen to be. I knew a guy named Dick who was a run around buddy with Bill Rood. They mostly drank whiskey, and chased women. One day, Bill had a brainstorm, and invented a belt that would pick up cotton knocked off on the ground when it was picked. This thing took off, and Bill made a lot of money in a short period of time. He didn't forget his old buddy either, he set him up with a dealership in California, and he did very well with it.

Telekarster likes this.
  10. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Holic

That kind of stuff, never happens to me......I fall in a bucket of s..t....I smell like a bucket of s...t.....lol

Telekarster and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Telekarster

Amazing man!!!! I had to look this up and read about "The Cotton Cleaner"! What an amazing story and contraption he came up with! Now... that's cool right there TD, and you knew em! That's pretty darn neat. There ya go!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

you mean Alex wont share his winnings with you? shamefull :lol::lol::lol::lol:

39martind18 and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Actually, I worked with Dick at one time, and Bill's son. Bill the younger (not junior) and I became pretty good friends. He ended up buying Garland Steel the company that initially built the Rood Harvester. I was just getting started playing the guitar, and Bill showed me his Martin D-18, and had me guess at the price of it. I studied quite a bit, and came up with fifty bucks! Bill laughed and said you don't much about guitars do you? I haven't seen Bill for many years, we kind lost touch as people do. I'm still fond of Bill, and his lovely wife in my heart. My wife and I had dinner with them when we went to Phoenix years ago. Also went to dinner with them when they were working the Tulare Farm Show.

Old Dick, I don't know what happened to him. The mechanical cotton pickers along with improvements in the cotton strain pretty much eliminated the need for the Rood, at least here in California.

Bill was a friend of Waylon Jennings, I never met Waylon, but I played Bill's Martin, and Waylon played Bill's Martin. I always thought that was kind of cool. I'm pretty sure Waylon played it better than I did. Bill, and his dad were really down to earth people. Young Bill had a degree as an electrical engineer, so about the worst thing that could happen to him is that he would have had a good job!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    24 track and Telekarster like this.
  14. Telekarster

Yep, I hear you there! Like the other amazing "Lucky Duck" I've known. When I first met him, many years ago, he was making 8 bucks an hour at an upolstry shop. His tranny went out in his car and didn't have the $$$ to have it fixed, so.... he bought a rebuild kit and did it himself! Word got around and the next thing you know, he was making more $$$ in one day fixin' peoples trannies than an entire week at the upolstry shop! I lost touch with him over the years too but last time I saw him he was a multi millionaire, cruizing around in his Lambo LOL!!! I recently heard that he's semi-retired now, but still has a hand in the 3 transmission shop locations he owns ;) FWIW - Neither of the gents I've mentioned ever had anything higher than high school education ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Alex is kind of a one way guy! :D:D

24 track and Telekarster like this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

he must know Harlo , whats mine is his and whats his is left all over the floor for me to pick up or step on and form a new vocabulary :lol::lol::lol:

17. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, TD! You’re a good man. :twisted:

18. Toto'sDad

Thank you sir, and to you as well. I hope you have a very enjoyable holiday season!

Ronzo and 24 track like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

I think it's a strange coincidence that my dog, and my golfing buddy are both red-heads! :D:D:D:D

24 track likes this.
  20. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My motto's always been "I'd rather be lucky than good." Too bad that doesn't work for guitar ...

Mrs. Enchilada is 7 years my junior. If I'm still on this side of the sod when she finally retires, the thought has crossed my mind that we could sell our domicile for a whopping amount of cash and do the trailerpark gypsy lifestyle or get a bus conversion RV and just ramble about. But then, she's be sorta up a creek when I croak and she's stuck with the trailer rig. Must cogitate further ...

lowatter, Telekarster and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.