My (latest) "Here's your sign" moment...

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
A few years back, I read an AARP article @ how to cope with senior moments.
One of their suggestions was to have ONE PLACE in EVERY ROOM where you ALWAYS sit your glasses if you remove them.
I am proud to say that since reading that, I have designated several spots in my house for glasses.
And I haven't lost them at home since.
I also wear shirts with pockets when we go out to eat so I can take off my glasses and put them in there while my olde eyes attempt to read the menu. Saves a lot of grief.
Now if I could just get the car keys and cordless extension phones to cooperate ... 🤓
I buy readers three at a time and just sprinkle them all around the house and car.

Works for me and doesn't take coffee breaks.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Not me but my wife. She was talking to her mother on her mobile phone (cell phone for you U.S. types) and wandering around the house looking for something. I piped up and asked "What are you looking for?" "My phone" "Love, it's in your hand!!"
I only have a few people that I can really long phone conversations with. One is my buddy Phil, who also plays guitar,and is a fellow Jerry dude. We had been chatting for a good hour, and I started looking around my desk, and on my bed, and said to myself, "What did you do with your phone?" It's in your hand, hello! You're talking to Phil with it right now, duh!

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Not completely my fault. At a TDY hotel overseas, you dropped the rental car at the entrance to the parking garage and left the keys with the attendant. One time I picked up the keys to my white Mazda 323 and drove it all day. I noticed I had to adjust the driver's seat, but didn't dwell on it. Turns out, I was driving the wrong car. I started carrying little stickers to put on the trunk. 90% of the rental cars at the airport were 323's.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
I make a habit of going to the car with my hands full and putting something on the roof of car ... and promptly forgetting about it. There's this sound items make as they slide across the roof ... right before they tumble off 😖
I lost a pair of gloves that way. 😖

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
I was looking for my phone. I thought it might have slid under the sofa so I got my phone out of my pocket and turned on the torch to look.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I make a habit of going to the car with my hands full and putting something on the roof of car ... and promptly forgetting about it. There's this sound items make as they slide across the roof ... right before they tumble off 😖

I did that once on one of my IT trips back east. I finished a job in Gloucester and was heading back down the freeway to Boston when, after several miles, my toolbox slid off the top of the car and went tumbling down the road behind me. Fortunately, it slid to a stop, somewhat the worse for wear but still intact and closed, on the shoulder. I heard it slide off and saw it in the rearview mirror so was able to pull over and retrieve it.

Togman

Tele-Afflicted
About 10 years ago my Uncle arrived home from a trip into town. My auntie commented that she didn't hear the car come up the driveway. Uncle said he came home on the bus. Auntie said well you left on the car when you went...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
On a trip to Morro Bay last spring with my wife, son-in-law and daughter, the girls went shopping while he and I had some lunch. When we got back to where we left the car, he went around to one side, and I the other, I opened the door, and thought it kind of strange I hadn't locked it! I got in the car, and my son-in-law slid in the front seat across from me. That's when the screaming started, I turned around and there was a woman who had apparently been changing some part of her clothing in the back seat of MY car! Only it turned out, it was actually HER car!

What are the chances of TWO metallic blue CRv Hondas being parked only a few car lengths apart? We excused ourselves, and let the lady go back to whatever it was she was doing!
I may have related this before, but when we get old, every story is "new".....even if told a million times.
A hundred years ago, I worked at a mall. I had a friend (female) who worked in another shop there. She was a rich-kid "princess" whose dad was a wealthy businessman from another Texas city, several hundred miles away. He bought her a new Ford Thunderbird, (pink) and had one of his employees deliver it to her at work. He came into the mall, gave her the new keys, and took her old ones.....driving her old car back with him. She was excited to get off work, and go check out her new car. It's dark by that time, but the parking lot is well lit. She goes out, and finds a PINK T-bird, inserts the key, and UNLOCKS the door. She gets in, and notices a strong odor of tobacco smoke. Looking around the car, she sees it's dirty, with food wrappers and cigarette butts all over. In fact, it doesn't "look" like a new car at all. She then puts the key in the ignition, and it won't turn on. She plays with it for a while......but no go! She doesn't know what to do. (this was pre-cellphone days) Suddenly, another woman walks up, and asks what my friend is doing in HER car?
Long story short, she was in the wrong car......but another PINK Thunderbird?????? She eventually found her car, with the assistance of mall security. It was spanking brand-new, with that new car smell, and the key even worked in the ignition. She loved telling that story on herself. ;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I may have related this before, but when we get old, every story is "new".....even if told a million times.
A hundred years ago, I worked at a mall. I had a friend (female) who worked in another shop there. She was a rich-kid "princess" whose dad was a wealthy businessman from another Texas city, several hundred miles away. He bought her a new Ford Thunderbird, (pink) and had one of his employees deliver it to her at work. He came into the mall, gave her the new keys, and took her old ones.....driving her old car back with him. She was excited to get off work, and go check out her new car. It's dark by that time, but the parking lot is well lit. She goes out, and finds a PINK T-bird, inserts the key, and UNLOCKS the door. She gets in, and notices a strong odor of tobacco smoke. Looking around the car, she sees it's dirty, with food wrappers and cigarette butts all over. In fact, it doesn't "look" like a new car at all. She then puts the key in the ignition, and it won't turn on. She plays with it for a while......but no go! She doesn't know what to do. (this was pre-cellphone days) Suddenly, another woman walks up, and asks what my friend is doing in HER car?
Long story short, she was in the wrong car......but another PINK Thunderbird?????? She eventually found her car, with the assistance of mall security. It was spanking brand-new, with that new car smell, and the key even worked in the ignition. She loved telling that story on herself. ;)

Now you're going to have me sitting here waiting for someone to buy me a new Silverado! ;)

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I had a panic a little while back that I’d forgotten my car keys: so I turned the car around and drove home to get them. I was nearly home before it hit me…

The new cars that have a key proximity sensor and a push button start make me nervous. There have been a few times that I drive my wife's car, drop her off somewhere, and realize I don't have a key - it was in her purse when I started the car. Don't shut it off, don't shut it off, don't shut it off...

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Now you're going to have me sitting here waiting for someone to buy me a new Silverado! ;)
It's on it's way, TD.....I'll have one of my employees bring it to you.
Now, when a guy shows up while you're at the golf course and wants to trade keys, be sure to go along with it. The Silverado will be out there.......(somewhere) ;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It's on it's way, TD.....I'll have one of my employees bring it to you.
Now, when a guy shows up while you're at the golf course and wants to trade keys, be sure to go along with it. The Silverado will be out there.......(somewhere) ;)
I hope you ain't the same guy who told me and my cousin Pinky they were giving away silver dollars over at the A&P in Florence, when we were in Muscle Shoals on foot, in the dark on Halloween night, twelve miles away!

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
It was a cold morning last winter and after a 12 mile trip to the city and back, my truck would not idle down correctly and felt like it slowly wanted to go faster and faster. At first I was thinking it was a broken or disconnected carburetor return spring.

I was almost home when I remembered I had removed and cleared some ice from the stiff rubber floor matt and accidentally replaced the matt on top of the gas pedal.

No sign needed but I did gave myself dumb-a$$ award that day!

arnie5150

Tele-Meister
Arrived at the boat launch. I got out and installed the plug, removed the transom saver and rear straps. Walking back to the truck I realized that I had forgotten the key to the boat. I reattach the straps and reinstall the transom saver and I am leaving the State Park. Since I live about 15 miles away I figured I'd just go home and get the keys. I stop at the entrance and tell the attendant that I'd be right back and told her I'd forgotten the boat key, which she probably sees all the time, huh? She look at me and replies, "um, no".

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
I have at least 8 pairs of readers all over the house. The idea is they’re always there when I need them. About once a week as I go to bed I realize there are 7 pairs of readers on my night table? How do dat happen??

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
On a trip to Morro Bay last spring with my wife, son-in-law and daughter, the girls went shopping while he and I had some lunch. When we got back to where we left the car, he went around to one side, and I the other, I opened the door, and thought it kind of strange I hadn't locked it! I got in the car, and my son-in-law slid in the front seat across from me. That's when the screaming started, I turned around and there was a woman who had apparently been changing some part of her clothing in the back seat of MY car! Only it turned out, it was actually HER car!

What are the chances of TWO metallic blue CRv Hondas being parked only a few car lengths apart? We excused ourselves, and let the lady go back to whatever it was she was doing!

I did this one Christmas at the mall. I unlocked my car and tried to start it but I couldn't turn the key. I then realized I was in the wrong car and saw mine 5 spaces away.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
I bought a tube of really good contact glue, but I got tired of looking for it in my toolbox, which was in a cupboard with stuff piled on top. So, I took it out & 'put it somewhere'!!! I finally found it last week after about 18 months of searching.

I have a 70's SG copy. It had black witch hat knobs but I replaced them years ago with white speed knobs. I wanted to swap them back but could only find 3. I put them 'somewhere safe' and a few months later found the 4th one. That was about 5 years ago, I still haven't found the other 3!!!

Glasses!!! I have 10 pairs. 1 in each room, 1 in my jacket, 3 in the car. Still lose at least 1 pair daily.