My latest headache

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ponce, Mar 3, 2020.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Been working on this piece lately, trying to make it sound as "professional" as possible with my limited equipment - playing and mixing on Scarlett headphones in my living room music corner I like to call my studio.:)
    At this point I could use some criticism and input regarding production and mix or just some attentive pair of ears. Interesting ideas on additional elements and parts to add are welcome too.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-126307129/proj2solo

LKB3rd and ChuckC like this.
  2. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Howdy Ponce....

I gave a listen.
    Personally, I hear nothing that jumps out at me on this recording that needs to be addressed so I think your 'headache' is unneeded. :)
    As an instrumental composition (as apposed to a 'song') it has the movie theme vibe.
    Sounds fine to me...and I wouldn't overthink it.

Hope that helps....have a great day.

ponce likes this.
  3. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

This has "John Hughes montage" all over it.

ponce likes this.
  4. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoyed the listen. The track has a big airy 80s vibe to it. Kinda Flock of Seagulls meets OMD!

I've no objections to the mix or sound,though I think it could go up a step towards the end. A bit of a build/climax would be the icing on the cake.

ponce likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

it sounds really good to me. As others have already said, nothing pops up as being problematic.
    The only thing to my ears that does make it sound less professional is the fade out at the end. I'm not really sure what it is, but I would try either:
    - to stop with a clean cut after the last drum hit (and letting the reverb tail fade out of course);
    or
    - make the fade out start earlier including the drums.

ponce likes this.
  6. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Thanx. But that's not the end of the tune. It's still gonna develop somehow for the next minute or two.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Ok! So we’ll wait for the following!

ponce likes this.
  8. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I like it, it's got the 80s vibe going on. Nothing wrong with it, but if it was my tune I would try to smooth out the bass a bit. Perhaps make it less busy. And perhaps try to get more presence in the kick drum. You could also try to fill the mix out a bit with, e.g. some extra percussion or a rhythm guitar track, but I would keep it simple and subtle. Are you planning on adding vocals?

ponce likes this.
  9. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

LKB3rd likes this.
  10. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

You're right about the bass and it was even busier in the first incarnation. I'll try to EQ it before rerecording it.

11. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I thought it sounded good. While listening I couldn't help but envision scenes from the show Miami Vice. My brain just went to Miami Vice for some reason.

ponce likes this.
  12. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

And vocals..., people say I can sing, but I'd have to unleash that Mr. Hyde that's been locked up for years.:D

Steve 78 likes this.
  13. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I like it too! Love the 80's vibe.
    I agree about the kick, or maybe the low end in general. A stronger/punchier kick might be all it needs for that?
    Sounds like version 2 has a bigger bass guitar sound?
    But.. It didn't give me a headache at all :) .

ponce likes this.
  14. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Thanx for your comments and liking. I've tried to clean up the low end and sometimes I think I know what I'm hearing and doing and sometimes not. This whole recording and mixing is pretty much all new stuff for me. Started just last fall. I read a lot about it but its hard making clear choices and decisions. Using starter headphones probably keeps me tapping in a dark too.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  15. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

16. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

This new version sounds good to me! All the versions do. Don't get discouraged.
    One of the things i thought was "Is he using a subwoofer?" I think bass/low end might be the hardest part to get right, and monitoring is a big part of it. Many headphones made for listening will have "hyped" bass, because it sounds more exciting. But if you mix with them, you turn it down, or give it less punch because they are adding it artificially.
    Try reference tracks maybe(your favorite songs in a similar style) and listen to how the bass/kick sounds on your monitors. If you're not hearing low end at all this won't help much though.
    Also, if you spend too much time on your mix banging your head against the wall, your ears will start to get used to it, and you'll lose perspective. Take a break, listen to the radio, your favorite songs, anything besides your mix, then come back with fresh ears.
    And just because we think it needs more (whatever) doesn't mean you have to mix your songs like we would either. If you like them, then keep them how you like!
    But just make sure your monitors are telling you the truth, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    suthol, ponce and Steve 78 like this.
  17. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

I find it even harder to make decisions about the volume balance between instruments/elements than the EQ. But that's probably because those changes are more obvious and there are more possibilities where each can push the song into different direction regarding the style or even artistic approach. EQ is more technical and there are not as many ways to do it "right". On the other side, I can surely be accused of overthinking my stuff.

18. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Hey, maybe somebody has a good idea about the applicable song title/theme/plot?
    Do I really have to do everything myself in these times of global outsourcing? ;)

19. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Sounds good and lots of positive comments. I hear Roxy Music with those flowing guitar lines. I like the space around drums although borderline swimming in reverb. I’d bring the guitars closer by reducing reverb amount and length and increase presence (mid/high). Maybe take out some low/mid to make room for it. The Sakamoto synth line sounds a little out of place. Ever thought of playing that line on a different guitar sound? Super stuff!!

20. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, I'll definitely try some variations along your suggestions. Do you record/mix yourself?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.