My last Tele

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m down to my last Telecaster. My high point was owning 6 Tele’s, fueled by the temptation of NGD posts on TDPRI back in the day. I’ve weaned myself from the model. I simply no longer have any guitar lust for the Telecaster. Perhaps because it feels that there are less NGDs or I’ve become immune to them. Perhaps it’s because I visit TDPRI less often to lurk and rarely to post. For the record I still think of the Tele as the most iconic of all electrics and prefer its style more than any guitar.
My remaining Tele is my CS 63 NOS which has been my favorite guitar to play but it’s not always my favorite sounding guitar. I find it to be the mid point between my Strats and Les Pauls but having it’s own unique sound/tone. Still, its days may be numbered and I could become Tele-less in the coming months.
This is just a part of much larger direction regarding my guitar collection. Other instruments are also on the chopping block. One of my Strats is also departing at some point if I just can decide which one. The tones are similar but one has more bite than the other, while the other has a classic bell like quality found in earlier Strats. My 000-18 is lowly edging itself out of the door. I prefer the feel and sound of my Gibson. I could soon be a one acoustic guy. The Les Paul will stay for the foreseeable future. It could be replaced by a 61 VOS 335 with the skinny slim taper neck if could get over the sticker price. It’s highly doubtful that I will drop that much coin at this stage.
The bottom line is my collection is dwindling and I don’t mind. In fact, it’s provided more clarity to my instrument choices and it certainly has reduced the “clutter” in my music room. I am playing more and thinking about instruments less. I certainly think that visiting here less has dampened my interest in new instruments simply because it lessens temptation (as Flip would say “the devil made me do it”), plus the industry is not really producing much that floats my boat.
The only possible guitar acquisition I can envision is a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb to replace my PRRI. The PRRI has been a great amp and my favorite of all the amps I’ve owned. It’s the special edition with 12” speaker. I think the Tone Master will serve me better because of the attenuator and direct recording out.
The bottom line is that guitars come and go and I never miss the ones that I sell as much as I thought I would. I've learned this over the past 30 years or so. In fact, I could (should) have stopped many years ago had I been rational. Then again, when it comes to guitars, rationality can take a back seat to common sense. I think that's the nature of lust, whether it's gear or otherwise.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’m down to 2.
I do covet one more.
I sure don’t need one more.
My old one (avatar) is semi-retired, because the new one sounds, and stays in tune better.
The new one just doesn’t look as cool.
I could mod the old one.
I may do it.
It’s been modded more times than the law allows.
It’s (unpractical) Les Pauls that I covet to a fault.
They’re unpractical for me because I can’t keep them in tune for long, but I love how they look.
Foolish, you say?
Guilty, as charged!

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
I’m down to four guitars.

My Telecaster, Honey, in my avatar and my current main guitar.
Amber, my Epiphone Les Paul, rewired and re-pup’d etc
Sienna, my partscaster
And my PRS Custom24, which is stock.

I simply don’t need anything else, nor do I have any desire for any other guitars.

I’m starting to delve more and more into Amps atm oddly enough

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
drwhocryinginrain0.gif

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
One of each - tele, strat (wanting to get rid of), LP Special, & SG.
I want a LP Standard (50s) Gold Top w/P90s. But with shipping being hideously expensive today that may not happen…if they are ever are back in stock

viking

Friend of Leo's
I have faaaar too many still , allthough I have sold a few. Its been years since I have used anything else but Les Pauls and Teles . The Teles are mostly normal config , pickups and so , but still I dont care if I bring an LP or a Tele. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio , super ugly , but it just BRING it everytime I use it , the rival Les P is a Tokai , its just not as good....yet . I dont own any Fender guitars atm , all partscasters and my Squier CVs from China, and a few Partscasters. There is no country hidden in this ol boy , only dirty blues and rock. I have pedals and amps set up in a way that I dont care if I play Humbuckers or Sc pickups.
And , my Strats ......I have started looking at them again , after years of neglect.....We shall see...

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'd like to try a Schecter PT Special. Otherwise I have a Player Tele, Squier HH Tele, G&L Tribute ASAT Special, G&L Tribute ASAT Classic, and a very nice Fender Japan mahogany offset Tele. None of them is leaving anytime soon, but my acquisitions are definitely slowing down lately.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I support folks whittling down their piles of gear. Occasionally I see fellas here who seem to be going overboard by dumping EVERYTHING, but I think that on TDPRI there are a lot more folks who are borderline hoarders or at least mesmerized by gear.

I sold my tele a few years ago; I still have a homebrew with a tele bridge pickup and 3-saddle bridge and that’s all the tele I need.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I’m down to 2.
I do covet one more.
I sure don’t need one more.
My old one (avatar) is semi-retired, because the new one sounds, and stays in tune better.
The new one just doesn’t look as cool.
I could mod the old one.
I may do it.
It’s been modded more times than the law allows.
They’re unpractical for me because I can’t keep them in tune for long, but I love how they look.
Foolish, you say?
Guilty, as charged!

Look at LTD or ESP. They do great "LP Guitars" with modern construction and features. I have an LTD EC-1000 that I never have to tune.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire

My current (and last) Les Paul stays in tune reasonably well. While they lack the tuning stability of my Fenders they have other merits. IMO the LP (and Gibson in general) have a far richer tone than Fenders. I recently sold a 61 reissue SG and it was a great guitar to play. It had tuning issues at first until someone suggested that I clean up the nut slots which I did. It worked.
My unnatural lust is for the 335 but I am not as comfortable playing them. I would think it would be more comfortable after a short while. I only want one with a slim taper neck and Gibson doesn't offer that in the USA models. I can't bring myself to drop $6k for a Custom Shop.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
My herd has been stable in number for the last three years, or so. My Epi 1964 Reissue Sheraton is my #1, the double-bound Tele partscaster is my main electric practice instrument, the Heritage H-550 scratches my jazzbox itch, and the last (and first to go if it comes down to it, but it probably won't) is the D'Angelico Excell SS. I like the design and its lightness. I took a Martin DX1 in trade on an amp, but it'll be gone fairly soon, since it can't compete with my avatar or my stage acoustic- a Taylor 816ce. I guess I'm pretty well set on guitars.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I will never sell an instrument unless it’s financially necessary because I don’t ever want to post a thread about the one I shouldn’t have let go.
I have posted such threads but that feeling fades. The smarter thing is to be judicious in purchasing gear. My only residual feelings is more along the lines of "I could have stopped at ...." and I would have been perfectly happy. As I mentioned I have loved my 63 CS but the AV64 would have been just fine had I stopped there. Same with either of my Strats. I had an American Deluxe I purchased around 2000 that I have been perfectly happy with and a 93 Les Paul that would fill the bill just as well as my current model. If you have regret then it means your problem is the ones you kept as much as the ones you let go.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I’m down to my last Telecaster. My high point was owning 6 Tele’s, fueled by the temptation of NGD posts on TDPRI back in the day. I’ve weaned myself from the model. I simply no longer have any guitar lust for the Telecaster. Perhaps because it feels that there are less NGDs or I’ve become immune to them. Perhaps it’s because I visit TDPRI less often to lurk and rarely to post. For the record I still think of the Tele as the most iconic of all electrics and prefer its style more than any guitar.
My remaining Tele is my CS 63 NOS which has been my favorite guitar to play but it’s not always my favorite sounding guitar. I find it to be the mid point between my Strats and Les Pauls but having it’s own unique sound/tone. Still, its days may be numbered and I could become Tele-less in the coming months.
This is just a part of much larger direction regarding my guitar collection. Other instruments are also on the chopping block. One of my Strats is also departing at some point if I just can decide which one. The tones are similar but one has more bite than the other, while the other has a classic bell like quality found in earlier Strats. My 000-18 is lowly edging itself out of the door. I prefer the feel and sound of my Gibson. I could soon be a one acoustic guy. The Les Paul will stay for the foreseeable future. It could be replaced by a 61 VOS 335 with the skinny slim taper neck if could get over the sticker price. It’s highly doubtful that I will drop that much coin at this stage.
The bottom line is my collection is dwindling and I don’t mind. In fact, it’s provided more clarity to my instrument choices and it certainly has reduced the “clutter” in my music room. I am playing more and thinking about instruments less. I certainly think that visiting here less has dampened my interest in new instruments simply because it lessens temptation (as Flip would say “the devil made me do it”), plus the industry is not really producing much that floats my boat.
The only possible guitar acquisition I can envision is a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb to replace my PRRI. The PRRI has been a great amp and my favorite of all the amps I’ve owned. It’s the special edition with 12” speaker. I think the Tone Master will serve me better because of the attenuator and direct recording out.
The bottom line is that guitars come and go and I never miss the ones that I sell as much as I thought I would. I've learned this over the past 30 years or so. In fact, I could (should) have stopped many years ago had I been rational. Then again, when it comes to guitars, rationality can take a back seat to common sense. I think that's the nature of lust, whether it's gear or ….
You are a strange and sad little man.
Seriously, I’m playing my’61 SG RI more these days, but when I need a gigging instrument I always reach for a Tele. However, I decided a few weeks ago that my SG will be joining me on our next gig, along with one of my Teles of
1652236441625.gif

Last edited:

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
The bottom line is that guitars come and go and I never miss the ones that I sell as much as I thought I would. I've learned this over the past 30 years or so. In fact, I could (should) have stopped many years ago had I been rational. Then again, when it comes to guitars, rationality can take a back seat to common sense. I think that's the nature of lust, whether it's gear or otherwise.
As Willy sang, "The Party's Over...all good things must end, but tomorrow starts the same old thing again!" Wishing you the best but remember we'll leave the lights on for you:)