1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

My landlord just gave me a Sears Silvertone 1484

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by doof, Jun 8, 2014.

1. doof

doof Tele-Holic

I just got back from a long roadtrip (7,400km in 9 days) and i walk up to my door with all my luggage, put the key in the lock, and it breaks off. I give my landlord a call and within 10 minutes he's there, replacing the lock. Right before he leaves he says "oh hey, i got something for you. I know you like guitars and i had an old amp i wanted to give you. If you don't want it, just say so, it won't hurt my feelings".

Needless to say i very happily accepted it. I haven't plugged it in yet. I know very little about electronics, other than having shoddily soldered together a few simple boost circuits, but i know with these old amps with the 2 prong cords aren't grounded properly, which can be dangerous. Hopefully someone can give me some insight as to what i should do from here on out. I've googled the make/model and found some info, but i always like discussing things with everyone here on the TDPRI. Thanks for any info!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Score!! A Silvertone Twin Twelve has been on my wish list for a while now, well worth taking it to good tech and having it done up, at a guess it will need , in addition to a grounded power cord, new filter caps and maybe some resistors. The tubes might need replacement too. Congrats , you have a great landlord!

3. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

That is awesome! it's in really nice shape too. self and a It's not a big deal to get that power cord replaced. I've got a '67 Silvertone 1482 that I updated myself and a '65 that still has the 2-prong cord. You just have to make sure you don't touch anything grounded while you have your hands on the strings of your guitar. It's also best to avoid mics plugging into a different amp/PA. I've gotten zapped on the lips more than once and can tell you it's no fun.

4. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

He just walked up and gave you a $1000 amp???

Wow.

Attached Files:

5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What a beauty!

New Caps and Tubes are the way to fly.
    It will sound great for years to come.

6. doof

doof Tele-Holic

apparently he did! is that for real?? i feel like i should say something to him!

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Say THANK YOU !!!!

8. doof

doof Tele-Holic

oh i definitely thanked him profusely when he gave it to me. he said he wanted to give it to me for always being a good tenant. haha being a nice guy has finally paid off!

9. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Yep, that's the thing to say!

10. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

Yes, it's current. I just Googled it.

11. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

That is a great amp in great condition! Maybe there is something special that you could do for him. Maybe he just appreciates that you pay the rent.

12. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Congrats :). That looks super nice.

13. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just buy him a nice Christmas present or something- congrats

14. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

The chassis looks very clean, the transformers look spotless, wow nice gift!

15. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

NICE! It pays to be a good tenant.

Years ago moved to a new town with wife and 3 yrold...rented this rather shabby old place, cleaned up the place, kept the yard mowed, didn't have big loud parties. The landlord was this old geezer, but his old geezer friend was our neighbor. One day I mentioned that we got notice our rent was going to raised a significant amount and we would probably have to move. The old neighbor came around in a few days and said he took care of it...he told his friend/the landlord DO NOT raise the rent...we were the best neighbors he had in 20 years since the landlord had moved from that house...rent stayed the same for a few more years til we moved.

16. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

It's a trick, he knows you will be driven to cranking it and then he can evict you and let some blond 20ish hottie move in. That is unless you are some 20ish hottie and then the gift makes more sense.

But seriously, congratulations.

17. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Bet the tubes DON'T need replacing....great score.

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, what a nice gift, and congrats to you for deserving it, in your landlord's eyes. Is your landlord a former player, like was this his amp, or does it have an interesting back story?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Warning--fantasy alert---
    Or, come to think of it, maybe your landlord has "some old cheapo entry-level Fender guitar from the late 50's" under his bed. But you wouldn't be interested in that old thing, would you? :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Definitely find something nice and thoughtful to do for your landlord, sounds like you have a rare relationship there, that's worth nurturing.

19. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Hmm, the honorable thing would be to inform the landlord of potential value. Dollars to donuts he would still let you have it, and you would sleep better. Up to you on that one though I guess.

That said, they have one of these at my local GC, tagged at 999$ as well. I played through it, sounded pretty cool, I dunno if I'd spend the money on it, but I can see how it would have appeal to some people. Nice score either way though!

20. doof

doof Tele-Holic

i should have asked him about it! i'd like to know the history as well. I know he played when he was younger, but he doesn't anymore. And i have seen the guitar he used... a Teisco! so sadly it wasn't any valuable treasure. i'm gonna ask him the story of the amp next time i see him.

for anyone interested, i plugged it in and tried it out. It definitely needs some work. The volume knob is really scratchy, like hurts your ears scratchy. but once you get it to where you want it, it sounds really good! i plugged a bad monkey into it (while playing my cabronita) and just played for quite a while with a big stupid grin on my face. I'm gonna get a lot of fun out of this amp.

The reverb is awful just like everyone says. The tremolo doesn't seem to work... i fiddled with it all i could and there's just no noticeable tremolo at all.

but despite the imperfections, i'm really loving what i've heard so far, and can't wait till i have time to sit down with it some more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.