My Kirn Just Arrived :)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by corbo, Feb 18, 2019.

1. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Boys, she's here. I wanted a new axe for my 50th birthday. Never had much wanderlust with acoustics: I've been playing my Rosewood J45 since 2002 and have never looked back. But electrics? I've been more fickle. Over the years I've played Strats, Gibsons, PRS's, and Godins. My first electric worth having was a swamp ash 52 reissue Tele I bought in the early 90's. I had some lean years after college and had to sell it. But lately after all the other axes I've played, I longed for the simple, elegant look of a Tele. Lately I've been getting more into jazz and have become a huge fan of Ed Bickert. Now, I'll never play as good as him in a thousand years, but I do play a lot of jazzy chords in my original songs, through a clean setup, with my fingers 80% of the time, and the idea of having a Tele with a humbucker at the neck had become very appealing to me.

I first thought about getting an actual Fender "off the rack", but I ran into a few issues. I spent a bunch of hours in various forums here and on other sites, as well as trolling the big and small music store sites, trying to familiarize myself with all the models and trim levels and specs of all the iterations of the current Fender Telecaster. I'd wanted a humbucker at the neck, but if a "stock" tele had everything else in order for me I'd have been happy to modify that after the fact. I finally got down to the city and spent a good two hours at that pit of hell known as Guitar Center for the express purpose of checking out how all the different Teles sounded and felt.

I absolutely *loved* the way the Elite NECK felt. The thickness, nut width, and that screwy-looking c-to-d radius. It looked a little odd to me but felt amazing. I wanted a 6-saddle bridge, which the elite has. I also liked the way the noiseless pups sounded (even though I'd have probably swapped out the neck one) but, two things about the Elite tele bugged me: one was the S-1 switch. Now, I like the idea of having that as a tonal option, but I'm talking about the switch itself. It just bugged me that a cheap-feeling plastic button protruded out of the top of an otherwise handsome barrel-knob. And it felt like it might crap out after a year or two. The other thing I had aesthetic trouble with (call me shallow) was the rib cut. To me, the symmetrical slab-cut look of a Tele is a big part of its beauty. The rib cut (again, to *me*) made it look like somebody took a nice Tele and squashed one side of it!

Now, the American professional has the symmetrical body, but a 3-saddle bridge and no compound radius. The neck didn't have that same "can't put me down" feel that the elite did, so that wasn't gonna be it for me.

I tried out an Elite Thinline. Gorgeous looking, loved the neck, no rib cut, but a few things bugged me about that axe: one was the new floating "suspension" bridge. It just looked wrong and cockeyed to me (and it was a three-saddle). The other thing was that it felt *too* lightweight to me. One of the main reasons I turned against my last axe was that it was neck-heavy. I found it very distracting, especially when trying to sing. Now the Elite Thinline wasn't exactly neck-heavy, but it seemed to lean a little bit in that direction. It was the kind of thing that probably wouldn't bug me initially but would get more annoying over time. Finally it also had that flimsy plastic S-1 protuberance. So it didn't sit well either.

I had also thought about getting a G&L Bluesboy, but I've heard mixed things about the bridge pups with respect to certain amps, and also (again call me shallow) the G&L headstock just looks funny to me.

And in all the above cases, I'd be making some compromise with respect to look, color, wood, finish, etc..

So I figured I could do one of three things: Partscaster, Fender Custom Shop, or Indie Luthier.

I went down the Partscaster rabbit hole for a while, and there were aspects of it that were really cool. I may go that route for a future axe but I know sometimes they can be a crapshoot, unless you either *really* know what you're doing or you get help from someone who does.

The FCS would have been great, but for what I wanted, it would have been 4.5 grand for them to even pick up the phone, and as I wanted to stay under 3k, that wasn't gonna work.

So back to the forums, where a name kept coming up: Ron Kirn. "His work is amazing." "I sold mine and regretted it ever since." "He'll build you a Ferrari for the price of a Crown Vic." Well, I decided to send him an email and see what I could get for my budget.

What I *really* wanted was a classic slab T-style guitar, black urethane gloss alder body, birdseye maple neck (with nitro finish for JUST the neck), rosewood fingerboard, red tortoiseshell pickguard, abalone dots, Duncan Seth Lover humbucker at the neck, Jerry Donahue at the bridge, 6-saddle Gotoh bridge, 5-way Bill Lawrence electronics, fully shielded, locking tuners, strap locks, and an exact mimic of the proportions of the Elite-style neck I loved the feel of so much (1 11/16th nut width, .083 - .090, 9.5 to 14" compound radius. Ron said, "No problem." :) :) :)

So here she is. I will spend the neck few days/weeks/years getting to know her sounds with my different amps and pedals, but man she looks and feels incredible. Oh, and I've named her Honey Wilder. ;) IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0263.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

beauty!

corbo likes this.
  3. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Awesome!!!

corbo likes this.
  4. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Ron is great, congrats on a beautiful guitar.

corbo likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Just........WOW! There's a reason Ron has the reputation he has.......

soulman969 and corbo like this.
  6. corbo

Yeah, man. For real!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!
    I love the black, tortoise shell, rosewood combination!

nojazzhere and corbo like this.
  8. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Very beautiful, congratulations!

corbo likes this.
  9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Pretty guitar! Ron does nice work.

corbo likes this.
  10. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

He makes a mighty fine guitar. When I decided I wanted a Telecaster my research pointed me to a Kirn.

corbo likes this.
  11. corbo

Thanks! It’s a combo I’ve had in my head for some time. Ron helped me make it real!

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beautiful instrument. :)

corbo likes this.
  13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What does Homer Simpson mumble when he looks at a box of donuts?
    mmmmmmmmmm

me too

Peace - Deeve

corbo likes this.
  14. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Welcome to the club!
    Bet it sounds as sweet as it looks.
    Congrats!

corbo likes this.
  15. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beautiful! HNGD!

corbo likes this.
  16. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Number 455 reporting in, also my avatar picture. Will always be my #1.

corbo likes this.
  17. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Awesome! I hope to be so blessed someday myself.

corbo likes this.
  18. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Aptly named. That guitar is definitely a honey! Been a big fan of Ron's work for a few years. Was planning to save up for a build, but got the building bug myself in the interim. If I do ever have someone build for me again, he'll be on the short list for sure. Especially since I'm in Florida and could possibly drive up and pick it up...assume Ron didn't mind...which would be really cool. He built a replica of a tele played by Charlie Baty that had 3 P90s in it...LOVE that guitar. And I really like his 100+ year old reclaimed pine builds too. Ron's the real deal. Happy New Guitar Day.

Does this mean you'll play "Misty" for us?

corbo likes this.
  19. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that looks incredible! Nice work Mr. Kirn, and happy 50th to you!

corbo likes this.
  20. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow dude. Beautiful guitar! Mr Kirn is indeed a legend. Congrats on a very fine purchase, and HB-NGD.

corbo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.