My Journey into the Recording Process

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by wetland10, Jul 16, 2009.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I've been in several studios over the years, nothing great but definitely decent. We are working on our second album and decided to record it ourselves. We're doing it in a house, using the basement for the drums and band members, running bass direct, and we have the guitar amps upstairs. We record "live" and then overdub here and there afterwards. We're using a ZOOM 16 track recorder, SM57s, an MXL 990 condensor, the Recorderman technique for drums, and not much else.

We just finished the basic tracks for our songs and I must say that this is the BEST I've ever heard the band sound. We're using our PA system for playback with nice 15"s. We are all amazed at how good this sounds. We have minimal skill with regard to mic techniques, etc. but so far this really sounds like "us" and powerful. I'm amazed. Once it is mixed and mastered it will be interesting to see what the final product is like.

Wayne

2. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

That sounds great! Nothing better than a good session your really happy with.

One thing I do is play my mixes on different systems to make sure it sounds good "across the board". I learned this when I mixed one of my tunes to "perfection" - HA! Played it in the car, on another computer and a shelf system and it sounded horrible! Now all my mixes get run through all the home systems to make sure I have a good all round sound!

Breakaleg!

KC

3. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, good point. We're going to leave that to the guy that will mix it for us. Let him deal with that one!

4. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

That's really great to hear! I find that having the flexibility that the DIY approach offers allows people to almost always come up with a better artistic product, if not a better recording. It sounds like you may have gotten both!

Here's a cool trick since you've got a PA in the room - set up a couple of mics facing the wall, or facing the room, or facing wherever sounds best, and then play back the drum tracks. Instant room mics! You can also play 'em back supercompressed and/or slightly overdriven and get really cool ambiance that way. Pan things left and right toward different mics and make a big mess. It's your room! Have fun!

5. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

That's a pretty cool idea. I may try that.

6. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

The fact that you've already planned to have this done is very good sign in my book. Let's hear some when you can post.

7. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

As soon as it is ready, in the next few months, I will definitely have some songs available for listening. It's coming along nicely.

Wayne

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.